NO TAX on Gift Cards

Should there be a tax?

• Total voters
Yes it's a lot less than before, but still there's no reasoning for it. It's not like it cost Amy credits to sell them, this isn't real life. Get with it.

savvy.max

Trading: http://tinyurl.com/savvymax
When the Gift Card Idea was initially proposed it was originally to buy for 10500 Credits and sell for 10000 Credits allowing the person receiving and potentially selling the gift card to get enough credits to buy a future magic pin or 2 (Snowman).

Those with the credits to afford the Gift Cards would be the one paying the additional 500 credits instead of the credit poor recipient of said gift card.

Overall I haven't seen a single complaint about the item being added to the game as it allows for trading of credits. Adding a tax prevents the gift cards from being sold for no reason.

Sharks

Overall I haven't seen a single complaint about the item being added to the game as it allows for trading of credits. Adding a tax prevents the gift cards from being sold for no reason.
Well I've seen quite a few people against the tax just from this thread (51 to be exact). I don't quite understand the second part of your argument, care to explain?

savvy.max

Well I've seen quite a few people against the tax just from this thread (51 to be exact). I don't quite understand the second part of your argument, care to explain?
What I meant to say is people are not complaining about Disneyland Gift Cards being added to the game but instead are upset about the tax that was added to them. It was never my intention to have the Disneyland Gift Card added without a tax when the item was sold. VMK has ALWAYS penalized players when they sold items to prevent items from being sold and to encourage trading. My original idea called for a buy price of 10500 and a sell price of 10000 allowing the player who sold the card to then buy whatever new magic is out in the stores and to push the tax on the buyer who has the credits instead of the seller. As it is now when a new magic comes out people will be selling gift cards to buy any new magic and greatly reducing the beginning of the month demand for sprees. This will have a huge stabilizing effect of the price of new magic. If someone started a petition to change the buy price to 10500 and the sell price to 10000 this would essentially remove the "tax" for all gift cards that were bought before the price change and push the tax onto the person with credits buying the gift card.

What I meant to say is people are not complaining about Disneyland Gift Cards being added to the game but instead are upset about the tax that was added to them. It was never my intention to have the Disneyland Gift Card added without a tax when the item was sold. VMK has ALWAYS penalized players when they sold items to prevent items from being sold and to encourage trading. My original idea called for a buy price of 10500 and a sell price of 10000 allowing the player who sold the card to then buy whatever new magic is out in the stores and to push the tax on the buyer who has the credits instead of the seller. As it is now when a new magic comes out people will be selling gift cards to buy any new magic and greatly reducing the beginning of the month demand for sprees. This will have a huge stabilizing effect of the price of new magic. If someone started a petition to change the buy price to 10500 and the sell price to 10000 this would essentially remove the "tax" for all gift cards that were bought before the price change and push the tax onto the person with credits buying the gift card.
But pixels don't have a tax when selling them, so why should this?

Jitter

VMK has ALWAYS penalized players when they sold items to prevent items from being sold and to encourage trading.
To be honest, it's this kind of thinking that worries me with people. Everyone writes it off easily because it SEEMS like a small amount, but what no one here realizes is that it's 500 cs PER giftcard. For those of us that are big spenders and buy multiples of these giftcards to meet an asking price, we lose out on a lot of credits. Credits are hard enough to earn, why should trading them be such a hassle? If they made the giftcard as a way to trade credits more easily, there should be no tax. It's essentially a convenience fee when no one is being inconvenienced. While yes, 500 is 100x more fair than 2,500, it's silly to have a tax on it to begin with. You're all very much entitled to disagree, but don't write it off as simply nothing when it is indeed quite something. 500cs seems like nothing, but it adds up quickly.

Look at the math. If you sold an item for 55,000CS and the buyer pays you in 5 giftcards which is equal to 47,500CS, but owes you 55,000CS you're losing 7,500CS, and that has to be made up in other means which is inconveniencing the buyer and the seller. Not just 500 anymore is it? And they can't give you 6 giftcards because that's 57,000CS and now you owe them 2k. It devalues credits as a tradeable market item is basically the gist of it.
The reality is, people trade items for credits. I don't see it as any different than regular trading, when you're trading the credits to someone so they can most likely purchase new things to trade later on anyways. I don't think it would hurt trading because of that fact. No, I don't think that gift cards should have a 500 credit tax because of the same reason Yuna stated. It adds up quickly, and credits are hard to obtain. Wouldn't you be angry if you lost thousands of credits you worked so hard for? Thousands of credits that go no where?

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Max the entire point of a tax is to pay towards something, like the states revenue. This is a virtual game, that "taxed" credits from these giftcards essentially poof in to non-existence. Unless they go in to an account for Amy and this tax is just us paying towards her account (which I doubt), there's no reason for there to be a tax on a virtual item. It's sole purpose is to trade credits. If you can't adequately trade credits still because of the odd amount it comes out to due to the tax, what's the point of having the card? You stated earlier adding a tax prevents the giftcards from being sold for no reason, but the entire purpose of the card is to sell it because it gives that person essentially 10k. Why wouldn't you want it to be sold?

Max the entire point of a tax is to pay towards something, like the states revenue. This is a virtual game, that "taxed" credits from these giftcards essentially poof in to non-existence. Unless they go in to an account for Amy and this tax is just us paying towards her account (which I doubt), there's no reason for there to be a tax on a virtual item. It's sole purpose is to trade credits. If you can't adequately trade credits still because of the odd amount it comes out to due to the tax, what's the point of having the card? You stated earlier adding a tax prevents the giftcards from being sold for no reason, but the entire purpose of the card is to sell it because it gives that person essentially 10k. Why wouldn't you want it to be sold?
In the real world, constant deflation of the credit isn't a thing needed to keep pace with the constant inflation from minigames. Calling it a tax is inaccurate. In the real world, you don't get rewarded for meaningless work like playing Jungle Cruise. It's hardly a 1:1 comparison. The tax, if you wanted to position it as such, is paying for the service of curbing inflation.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
In the real world, constant deflation of the credit isn't a thing needed to keep pace with the constant inflation from minigames. Calling it a tax is inaccurate. In the real world, you don't get rewarded for meaningless work like playing Jungle Cruise. It's hardly a 1:1 comparison. The tax, if you wanted to position it as such, is paying for the service of curbing inflation.
I'm just explaining my reasons for believing it isn't a necessary thing in a way that people on here understand and calling it a tax makes sense to them, so we call it a tax. I was explaining the reasons it isn't a tax essentially and therefore it isn't necessary IMO. It doesn't have to be an equal 1:1 comparison, but if it has similar qualities and people can understand it through that, that's the basic idea.

I'm just explaining my reasons for believing it isn't a necessary thing in a way that people on here understand and calling it a tax makes sense to them, so we call it a tax. I was explaining the reasons it isn't a tax essentially and therefore it isn't necessary IMO. It doesn't have to be an equal 1:1 comparison, but if it has similar qualities and people can understand it through that, that's the basic idea.
But you're applying a critque of it as a tax, when it's more akin to simple currency management. It's just as easily analogous toa private currency or separate currency. You pay a premium to the minter/exchange company for a more useful form of currency. You don't get your full 10k, because you are paying for the service of switching to another currency. It could be thought of as a bank note. The 5% is a premium for storing your credits/gold.

savvy.max

Can we redirect the argument here?

I want to suggest that the buy price change to my originally suggested price of 10500 credits and it get moved to Emporium as it doesn't belong in the Magic Shop.

And the sell price should be 10000 credits.

This would remove the "tax" from those that have bought the gift card before the price change but would also allow the Gift Card to be taxed on purchase instead of when it is sold allowing those that sell the gift card to easily buy any new magic that is 10000 credits typically.

I don't think your going to convince Grizzly and Amy to remove the "tax" completely but with this slight change everyone wins.

Sharks

Can we redirect the argument here?

I want to suggest that the buy price change to my originally suggested price of 10500 credits and it get moved to Emporium as it doesn't belong in the Magic Shop.

And the sell price should be 10000 credits.

This would remove the "tax" from those that have bought the gift card before the price change but would also allow the Gift Card to be taxed on purchase instead of when it is sold allowing those that sell the gift card to easily buy any new magic that is 10000 credits typically.

I don't think your going to convince Grizzly and Amy to remove the "tax" completely but with this slight change everyone wins.
If there has to be a tax, I agree that this is a better solution.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
But you're applying a critque of it as a tax, when it's more akin to simple currency management. It's just as easily analogous toa private currency or separate currency. You pay a premium to the minter/exchange company for a more useful form of currency. You don't get your full 10k, because you are paying for the service of switching to another currency. It could be thought of as a bank note. The 5% is a premium for storing your credits/gold.
I stand by what I've previously stated. You can dance around it calling it what you like, but when you break it down to the knitty-gritty details of it all, it's becoming unanimous that it isn't necessary.

Sharks

Also
You pay a premium to
the minter/exchange company for a more useful form of currency. You don't get your full 10k, because you are paying for the service of switching to another currency.
We're not paying anyone for anything is the difference. Those people don't take your fee and throw it in the fireplace, that's their revenue. Our credits are literally disappearing for no reason.