Normality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think normality exists? Is it possible for someone to be "normal"?

I do not think normality exists, because everyone and everything is different. There can't be a pure definition of what "normal" is.

Jasmine

"normal" is defined by society's standards.

aka society sucks bye
Completely agreed. There is no such thing as normality, because society defines it. What society doesn't get, however, is that what's "normal" (or I guess I could say... usual? I can't think of a good word to use here) for you may not be "normal" for me. (That's precisely why I don't believe "common sense" exists, because it's based on society thinking we're all born knowing certain things, which isn't true for everyone. Nothing is true for every single person on this planet.) Back to the what's normal for you isn't normal to me thing: I'd say that's definitely true for people who are affected by "social disorders", like myself.

Klamath

wants to go to france
Pretty much what has already been said. What we define as "normal" is just a culmination of what society and culture says is as such--a social construct. What can be considered "normal" in your culture could be considered as not or even taboo in another culture. Society may say it's normal to go out and be rebellious as a teenager, but is it really "normal"? Is it really not "normal" to not like a certain music, genre, style, form, etc.?

I don't think normality really exists: we might think there is, because we've grown up with a set roster of standards we should adhere to; however, is it normal because it's natural, commonplace, or "common sense," or is it because people say it is? Normality changes as time progresses: it was considered not normal to have tattoos decades back (for several reasons), but now, less people make a fuss about it because it has become more accepted and viewed as "normal." (there are a lot of better examples I can't think of for some reason, so don't mind me if I came up with a bad one)

I think people attempt to be "normal" by adhering to social standards. Some people do certain activities because it's "normal" for their age group, gender, ethnicity, nationality, etc. and fear being ostracised for diverging from the social standard, because what they're doing isn't typical. I know some people would think I was weird because I didn't do "normal" things like going outside to have fun, or wear certain clothes because it's "normal" for my age, or like certain foods because of my ethnicity. Some people who don't act "normal," as defined by social norms, may be considered deviants of society, and are therefore pushed to become normal by others.

Maybe we lose a lot of great ideas and remarkable people, because we push them to be "normal."

As Debbie Reynolds would say...

"Normal" can mean so many things... and as everyone has said, what's normal for some may not be for others. That's why the best solution is to just be yourself and not worry what others think. You'd be surprised how many people agree with you when you're voicing an opinion you think is uncommon.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
There's no such thing as normal. Everyone's weird, quirky, and has flaws in their own ways. And unfortunately society puts you down for that. No one's normal, there may be your own definition of normal, but no one is "normal".

Status
Not open for further replies.