Question for artists (doodlers/drawers etc.)

Neda

Okay, so I like to draw on paper and I want to be able to do that on my laptop and using my laptop's touchpad isn't so fun or pretty to use lol.
Since I always see such amazing artists on here I figured I'd make a thread asking:

What programs/graphics tablets/digital pens do you all use? (or would recommend for a beginner)

Update:
I ended up buying the Wacom Intuos Art tablet and it's very overwhelming (I went from "I LOVE this:hearts:" to "I'm NEVER going to figure this out :cry:" ) but all in all I'm pretty pumped. It'll take a load of time getting used to but I'm just excited to finally get started on something I've alway wanted to do.

First drawing lol:

draw 1.png

Last edited:
paint tool sai is a really good drawing program & it's free which is rad you can do basically everything on it. clip studio paint is really good too but it costs a little after the trial runs out, every once in a while they have a real good deal on it though :')
would definitely recommend a wacom tablet, i have an intuos i love mine!! i still have an old bamboo i got like 7 years ago tho they last like forever
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products

waterfallglow

balance is important both in life and art.....
Personally, I use the paint program because it is what i am used to but you can only do so much in it. I was recently told about a thing called paint.net that i tried and works well for those more familiar with the paint program but it offers more features. It is free for you to download and use. I will post the link to it below. Also, if you were wondering I did my forum signature in the regular paint program.

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

I occasionally use digital programs to draw...

But not very often. I could never get my hand/eye coordination right so I always had to see my hand while drawing so the touch pads never worked for me. I just ended up buying a touch screen monitor that synced to my comp.

And as for paint programs... paint tool Sai is the best one to me that is free.

Neda

I occasionally use digital programs to draw...

But not very often. I could never get my hand/eye coordination right so I always had to see my hand while drawing so the touch pads never worked for me. I just ended up buying a touch screen monitor that synced to my comp.

And as for paint programs... paint tool Sai is the best one to me that is free.
That was my biggest worry.
I feel like I wouldn't mind drawing on a tablet and seeing it come up on screen but at the same time yeah what if I can't get used to it? you know.
I was looking up Bamboo tablets and I did see one that wasn't too expensive and it was basically a notepad that you actually draw on and the image can be synced up to your phone and transferred to a computer to color it in or whatever..
but I was thinking that might be very wasteful compared to a tablet so idk.
I do now know to go for a Bamboo one, though, so thank you all! I'll just have to do a little research and find the perfect one.

That was my biggest worry.
I feel like I wouldn't mind drawing on a tablet and seeing it come up on screen but at the same time yeah what if I can't get used to it? you know.
I was looking up Bamboo tablets and I did see one that wasn't too expensive and it was basically a notepad that you actually draw on and the image can be synced up to your phone and transferred to a computer to color it in or whatever..
but I was thinking that might be very wasteful compared to a tablet so idk.
I do now know to go for a Bamboo one, though, so thank you all! I'll just have to do a little research and find the perfect one.
ooo that looks pretty... i might get me one of those. although i do have a tablet, i still like the feel of drawing on paper.
however, sorry to be a stick in the mud, from the looks of the bamboo spark, you can't erase? :/

Neda

ooo that looks pretty... i might get me one of those. although i do have a tablet, i still like the feel of drawing on paper.
however, sorry to be a stick in the mud, from the looks of the bamboo spark, you can't erase? :/
No you can't. I was going back and forth because of that fact alone, buuuuut, when I was looking through reviews all over for this product I saw someone used a pencil to draw out what they wanted and then they said that they just traced over the drawing with the pen provided and it went through just fine.

No you can't. I was going back and forth because of that fact alone, buuuuut, when I was looking through reviews all over for this product I saw someone used a pencil to draw out what they wanted and then they said that they just traced over the drawing with the pen provided and it went through just fine.
that's pretty smart actually

I use a bamboo tablet, that I've had since 09 :). It definitely isn't a skill that clicks right away if you use a tablet separate from the screen. My on-screen art was just sad when I started, but it's definitely a skill worth developing. From what I've heard some people take months to years getting used to it. My only advice with it is to keep drawing and practicing. After some time it becomes just as natural as regular drawing. It's like a clay sculptor transitioning into glass blowing. Now they cannot feel the material in their hands (OUCH hot glass would hurrrrt), but rather use a series of tools to assist them. They may have all the professional knowledge and skill sets in 3D art, but need to learn how to apply them in another medium. Maybe they will get it right away, but most likely its going to take a lot of practice and effort. Digital art is just another medium using tools such as a tablet to transfer it onto the screen! :) Anyways, the programs I tend to use are photoshop and illustrator. Honestly, even though they are pricey it is definitely worth the money. Especially if you are serious about learning. BUT life is tough and we can't always afford stuff, so I understand. So maybe start with free programs, but I'd definitely give photoshop a try if you haven't yet.

Last edited: