Shoutbox removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there usually weren't that many arguments in the shoutbox. Usually it was just people having normal conversations about the game or really about anything.
Right at the end, there were tons of fights over various things. The straw that broke the camels back was last nights drama

Dyllan

Princess Enthusiast & Cast Member!
Right at the end, there were tons of fights over various things. The straw that broke the camels back was last nights drama
Exactly. And most of them were fixed by a simple mute for a couple minutes and we all agreed to change subject. If those people who refused to continued the fight, we would usually just ignore them to the point where they finally quit and we were talking about normal things as usual.

Jasmine

Exactly. And most of them were fixed by a simple mute for a couple minutes and we all agreed to change subject. If those people who refused to continued the fight, we would usually just ignore them to the point where they finally quit and we were talking about normal things as usual.
I agree with this as well.
There were many fights lately, but most were caused by someone (usually multiple people actually) being immature and not being able to read something they disagree with and not comment on it. I don't know why, but no one seemed to realize that by telling someone they're "complaining", you could be possibly offending them, considering you're essentially telling them their opinion isn't wanted. Many people already feel as if the staff feel that way. They certainly don't want people on their same level (other members) backseat moderating at them. That, or those people just didn't care. :shrug:

Most arguments didn't last very long either. In last night's case, there was always someone who would bring up the topic after it was over. (Usually it would be someone who's talking about complaining again, but staff members tend to do this as well. Even if they think they're helping, they're really only opening up a closed door. That happened last night right before the shoutbox was taken down.)

If the moderation issues were worked out, and members learned what not to say (though I'll admit, an ignore feature would help this), everything would be okay.

CocoBandicoot

I haven't quit; college happened.
I'm pretty sure making multiple accounts for the forums is a bannable offense. If theres time to close the shoutbox, I'm sure theres time to ban people. That, as well as extending the ban time of the person responsible so maybe they have time to think about what they've done. I know people who get saturday detention don't ever think about doing what they did to get the punishment again because nobody wants to be at school on the weekend. Yesterday, the chat box was muted for a short time and that gave everyone enough time to chill out. People who don't always go on the shoutbox, I find, always see the box as a nuisance but they haven't spent the time on it, met and talked to the people who use it daily.
We're not saying ban everyone who complains, because you would be banned just for replying to this post, we're saying ban the people who take it so far out of hand that it's causing peoples feelings to get severely hurt or causing the community to "crumble".
That's what I meant by complaining too haha I totally understand.
I just want the drama to stop

shhh I'm undercover..

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
This is no different than real life, especially in school. One rotten apple will spoil the bunch. If this many arguments/fights are occurring (especially on a daily basis), then privileges will be lost, and changes must be made. I mean, unless you like to quarrel with other players for enjoyment.

I highly doubt this is a permanent removal. I'm sure it's temporary for obvious reasons. You can all live without the shoutbox for a while - this is not cutting off all ways of communication forever.

Dyllan

This is no different than real life, especially in school. One rotten apple will spoil the bunch. If this many arguments/fights are occurring (especially on a daily basis), then privileges will be lost, and changes must be made. I mean, unless you like to quarrel with other players for enjoyment.

I highly doubt this is a permanent removal. I'm sure it's temporary for obvious reasons. You can all live without the shoutbox for a while - this is not cutting off all ways of communication forever.
I don't think you understand exactly or have been shoutbox conversions for very long to know what that community is like (Maybe you have and I apologize if I'm wrong). The in game community is vastly different, I feel, from the sb/forums community. We argue, but not on levels people who don't use the shoutbox daily think we do. We recently had an argument/conversation about religion and it was so mind opening because I got to know different people better. This is not a daily occurrence, and some people who I don't regularly see in the sb only think that the sb is just a huge black hole filled with drama and hate. It's not. It's community, friendly, and loving. Without the SB, we can't be quickly updated or speak to each other as usual.

I agree, the SB is probably going to come back, but I also thing taking it away in the first place was a little over the top. A nice 30 minute mute could have made us all feel better.

Just really wish the shoutbox was back right now because I seriously have nobody else to talk to. Sigh.
Seriously. I feel cut off from the world of my newly made SB friends. It would have been nice to share the excitement of opening crates...but I also understand the taking down of the SB. It was just getting too out of hand. I really hope it's not a permanent fix, because I loved talking to everyone on there, despite all the drama, there was lots of laughter and pleasantness.

Dyllan

Someone should just make another chatroom and call it a day.
Like a chat forum that's not on My VMK?
I would love for this to happen so we could all talk again, but I'm almost 50% positive that the staff would not allow this because we're not allowed to post things that Mod's believe would be toxic and they can't moderate. On something that people can't moderate, things get out of hand and theres nobody to stop it. With the intervention of mods online, the SB is a nice place. Anything else is just asking for disaster.

Like a chat forum that's not on My VMK?
I would love for this to happen so we could all talk again, but I'm almost 50% positive that the staff would not allow this because we're not allowed to post things that Mod's believe would be toxic and they can't moderate. On something that people can't moderate, things get out of hand and theres nobody to stop it. With the intervention of mods online, the SB is a nice place. Anything else is just asking for disaster.
:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::blush:

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
I don't think you understand exactly or have been shoutbox conversions for very long to know what that community is like (Maybe you have and I apologize if I'm wrong). The in game community is vastly different, I feel, from the sb/forums community. We argue, but not on levels people who don't use the shoutbox daily think we do. We recently had an argument/conversation about religion and it was so mind opening because I got to know different people better. This is not a daily occurrence, and some people who I don't regularly see in the sb only think that the sb is just a huge black hole filled with drama and hate. It's not. It's community, friendly, and loving. Without the SB, we can't be quickly updated or speak to each other as usual.

I agree, the SB is probably going to come back, but I also thing taking it away in the first place was a little over the top. A nice 30 minute mute could have made us all feel better.
eh... let's just put it at this: it depends when you're on the shoutbox. I am not referring to it as a drama-filled vortex, but rather a place where many rules are broken, whether you witness such occurrences or not. You don't have to know what the entire community is like to understand what happens in the shoutbox. and I would like to add... i've been here for very long.

Dyllan

eh... let's just put it at this: it depends when you're on the shoutbox. I am not referring to it as a drama-filled vortex, but rather a place where many rules are broken, whether you witness such occurrences or not. You don't have to know what the entire community is like to understand what happens in the shoutbox. and I would like to add... i've been here for very long.
Then again, I apologize for saying you haven't been here for long. I have to disagree with "not having to know what the entire community is like to understand what happens in the shoutbox" because you're just generalizing the trolls and putting that title on people who don't deserve it. I feel like I know what the community is like, and I know for a fact that all of the people in this community are not trolls, and are instead sweet and caring individuals who made this a fun place to be in :)

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
because you're just generalizing the trolls and putting that title on people who don't deserve it.
i'm not okay with generalizing people like that.
I feel like I know what the community is like, and I know for a fact that all of the people in this community are not trolls, and are instead sweet and caring individuals who made this a fun place to be in :)
MyVMK as a whole has many wonderful people - we all know that. However, there are always two sides to a game, the good and bad. The shoutbox was removed for various reasons, and some people have been continually breaking the rules, which also contributed to the removal.

Cyber Toon

The conversation was only "bad"/arguing/rule-breaking a low minority of the time. Which is normal for pretty much anything... Everyone (especially the staff) is exaggerating it IMO. Most of the time everything went fine. >.> (I would know... I was on it all the time.) Plus if you don't like it, then you don't even have to use it, and it only shows on one page (the forum center thing), so you barely have to see it.

Last edited:
What's your point? People are allowed to complain on here. It's not like it's against the rues or anything.
Technically, we don't allow complaints/rants on here anymore; see this post. The only place this really is allowed is the forum feedback, and even then it's supposed to be more along the lines of constructive criticism.

As with the other shoutbox-related threads, this is being closed as the issue has already been addressed. Thanks for your concern about the shoutbox and the future of the shoutbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.