Small Off Topic Rant

So my irl friends call me mom because I'm always looking out for them and wanting to make sure everything's okay.
I just had someone I went to high school with die because of an OD. I used to work as an EMT in my town and I can't tell you how many families and lives I've seen torn apart from these kinds of addictions. I've seen friendships obliterated because of this. And I really hate to see it happen to any of you.

PLEASE. If you or someone you know has an addiction and you want to find help, know that it's the most admirable, brave, courageous thing you can do. If you need help finding somewhere that you can seek treatment, I'll be more than willing to help you out.

Just please be smart. Make good choices. Dream, try, do good. There is help out there and all it takes is you wanting to do it.

Hi PixieLizzieA,

Thank you for speaking out about this. I am sorry for your loss. Over a year ago, one of my friends in high school also overdosed. Her birthday was just a couple of days ago so I've been thinking about her lately. It is a tough world and a lot of the time, people turn to substances to cope. Getting help for them is definitely the best thing to do if you see what is happening to their life. Sometimes, it goes unnoticed and the death is very sudden and unexpected. It's a very unfortunate thing happening in the world.

Thank you for sharing!

Hi PixieLizzieA,

Thank you for speaking out about this. I am sorry for your loss. Over a year ago, one of my friends in high school also overdosed. Her birthday was just a couple of days ago so I've been thinking about her lately. It is a tough world and a lot of the time, people turn to substances to cope. Getting help for them is definitely the best thing to do if you see what is happening to their life. Sometimes, it goes unnoticed and the death is very sudden and unexpected. It's a very unfortunate thing happening in the world.

Thank you for sharing!
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It definitely is getting worse. It's become an endemic here. Luckily another friend, who was a friend of the person who passed as well, is getting help and going to rehab at the start of next month. So we can only help for the best.

I hate how college changes people. I have never done any type of drug. I already have a problem taking headache medicine. And all my old high school friends who went off to college are doing drugs and getting hooked on them. I'm in college and never in my life have I given into peer pressure. I don't believe in drinking, drugs, or smoking. All of them are stupid outlets, imo.

My mom tried killing herself three times by od'ing on her prescription meds. Imagine being thirteen to fourteen years old, home alone, and seeing her lying coldly on the floor of the kitchen. I had to run to my grandmas house to use her phone. They had to airevac her to a hospital 90 mins away to a big city to save her life.
My mom was my best friend and I lost her six months ago because of addiction. She had chronic pain and several other problems so she took a lot of medicine. And even when her problems diminished, she didn't stop her meds because she was addicted. Right before it happened, she made the change. She wanted to quit. We started slowly trying to take her off her meds. I was so happy. And then she was taken from us.
Imagine being eighteen years old and losing someone who was pretty much everything to you.
Don't just think about yourself every time you want to do drugs or you start taking things you don't need to take (the doctors in LR convinced her she needed to be on them so they could get a regular pt and get paid a crapload) think about all the people you are going to mess up because of your stupidity. Think about the person whose life you're going to destroy when they are the ones that find you lying on the floor on the cusp of death.

I hate how college changes people. I have never done any type of drug. I already have a problem taking headache medicine. And all my old high school friends who went off to college are doing drugs and getting hooked on them. I'm in college and never in my life have I given into peer pressure. I don't believe in drinking, drugs, or smoking. All of them are stupid outlets, imo.

My mom tried killing herself three times by od'ing on her prescription meds. Imagine being thirteen to fourteen years old, home alone, and seeing her lying coldly on the floor of the kitchen. I had to run to my grandmas house to use her phone. They had to airevac her to a hospital 90 mins away to a big city to save her life.
My mom was my best friend and I lost her six months ago because of addiction. She had chronic pain and several other problems so she took a lot of medicine. And even when her problems diminished, she didn't stop her meds because she was addicted. Right before it happened, she made the change. She wanted to quit. We started slowly trying to take her off her meds. I was so happy. And then she was taken from us.
Imagine being eighteen years old and losing someone who was pretty much everything to you.
Don't just think about yourself every time you want to do drugs or you start taking things you don't need to take (the doctors in LR convinced her she needed to be on them so they could get a regular pt and get paid a crapload) think about all the people you are going to mess up because of your stupidity. Think about the person whose life you're going to destroy when they are the ones that find you lying on the floor on the cusp of death.
Very well said. Terribly sorry for your loss. If I can be of any help, even just to listen, I am always willing!

Don't just think about yourself every time you want to do drugs or you start taking things you don't need to take
I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Same as Melissrawr said, if you need to talk or anything. This is the biggest thing and you hit the nail on the head, though.
I'm 23 and well out of high school, but I'm the only person in my friend group to have never done any drugs/smoked. (Admittedly, though, I did try a cigarette to say I've tried it. I couldn't smell for weeks. It was terrible. Never again.) It's just very sad that at this young age peoples lives are being taken. They have SO much life ahead of them and they're gone because of substance abuse.

Hi Mama Umbridge,

Your story is a very scary reality to me. My mother is also addicted to prescription drugs (for pain, mental illness, etc.) and also worse drugs...Her boyfriend OD'd and was brought back just a few months ago...it just makes me prepare for the day I get the phone call, you know? My mom also had several suicide attempts throughout my life. It's hard to have someone so close, yet not be able to help them at all until they help themselves. I am sorry for your loss.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
Right now my sister is in end stage liver disease. She spent her whole life drinking. It starts out so innocently but becomes a habit. By then it is really hard to quit. Unfortunately, she never had a strong support system around her because all her friends drank too. The doctor told her she has 3 to 4 months left. So please if you choose to drink, drink responsibly. You do not have to drink to have a good time. I stopped drinking in my early 20's because I too knew alcohol was not going to head me in the right direction. Her son is 20. Too young also.