Soo yes or no?

PIGGIESARECOOL

Should it be illegal for minors to DATE older people?

One of my friends brought this up earlier and i just didnt really know what to think and i wanted more opinions. Likeee i deff see where it COULD go and that bad. But like if both people in the relationship are committed to not taking it further than it should, should it be a problem?

Or is it normal for a minor and an adult to date? ...for the most part, im pretty sure shes thinking like 16/17 dating like a 23 year old. Nothing like 10 and 30!! Lol. xD

Lol. And hey yall. Ive been away for a while!!! Dx miss you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I don't think it should be illegal at all, as long as they don't [do inappropriate things] of course. But if you love someone no one should be able to tell you otherwise.

EDIT: Removed content that exceeds the G rating of this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sophia

Aw piggies missed you too lol. And I don't think it's a big deal but when I was a freshman I dated a senior, so when he graduated I was like 14 and he was 18 so it sounds weird but it all depends how mature you think the minor is. If they seem immature and still very childish, then I would be concerned because the older person might take advantage of their naivety. My ex boyfriend asked my parents to see if they'd let him date me and they said yes. I pretty sure he just asked them so he'd be able to kiss me without feeling like a creep lol. So maybe if the person asks the parents of the minor then it's cool imo.

Hah this could get interesting..
I don't think a minor and an adult should date. It's hard for me to say without getting banned, but I'll just say that there's a reason that that law is in place

allison

It should be illegal.
I'm sorry, it's just freaking weird no matter how you look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasmine

Hah this could get interesting..
I don't think a minor and an adult should date. It's hard for me to say without getting banned, but I'll just say that there's a reason that that law is in place
As far as I'm aware, there isn't a U.S. law (in any state) that says an adult cannot date a minor. Legal issues arise when the couple gets physical. Do you live in an area where there is a law for it?

I think the law is fine the way it is... It's likely the minor had to get parental permission, anyway.

Last edited:

mark

10 mins late to everything
I say they shouldn't' date until the minor has reached his/her legal age, where they are more "mature at that age" and can think more straightly...

bunniex

You can call me bunnie or Aly. :)
Most girls who are 14 and date an older male end up being extremely immature once the relationship has ended or are extremely immature in general because they are just maturing themselves.. (coming from past witness of events where one of my friends went to jail because a bunch of 14 year olds lied about their age and accused him of doing things once they broke up to get revenge against him)
14-17, you are just getting into the reality of life (high school) as for those 18+ have already dealt with it and or still dealing with it and heading off to college to start their life and getting jobs and being able to drive and do adult things. As for someone who is not of age, they cannot drive, they have to obey their parents rules, it could make it harder for them to go out and see the person, and always having to keep a low profile because of the fact that you're an adult dating a minor... I think it's better in the long run to just keep it to what age you are or a year older (if minor) or a half of a year or a year younger (if adult).

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a U.S. law (in any state) that says an adult cannot date a minor. Legal issues arise when the couple gets physical. Do you live in an area where there is a law for it?
I'm afraid of discussing this topic in depth on this forum but basically almost all relationships involving a minor and adult will include getting physical.
In most states, if one member of the relationship is older than a child and not quite an adult yet within the age of legal consent, there are offenses..
Again, I don't want to get banned because frankly, I don't think this topic is vmk friendly

Jasmine

I'm afraid of discussing this topic in depth on this forum but basically almost all relationships involving a minor and adult will include getting physical.
In most states, if one member of the relationship is older than a child and not quite an adult yet within the age of legal consent, there are offenses..
Again, I don't want to get banned because frankly, I don't think this topic is vmk friendly
I agree that most relationships eventually become physical. I just wanted to point out for the ones that don't become physical (perhaps one in which the couple is closer in age - such as a 15/16 year old and maybe a 18/19 year old as an example), there are no laws stopping that relationship. Of course it gets a lot more complicated once the relationship becomes physical, especially if the minor is under the age of consent. (I personally think it would be odd for parents to allow a minor to date an adult, but I can't judge their reasons for allowing such a relationship. And then some relationships are kept secret from parents, so in those cases, I can definitely see charges being brought upon the adult.)

Elle

People would think that at sixteen one would be mature enough to make decisions towards having a relationship and also while in one, but some teens, they simply aren't. It's tricky when it comes to minors + adult relationships (i'm talking about 16+ now). There's also the parents. Oh my god, the parents. While there are many good parents out there who make their decisions for the better of their children, others do it out of spite. I had two friends who decided to date each other, and one was older than her girlfriend by 4-5 years, and they had approval from both parents.. But suddenly something had happened where the younger girl's mother had gotten mad at her for something and put the blame towards the relationship. Needless to say, cops were almost called and I thank goodness they avoided that...somehow. I would honestly rather it be illegal, more so because I don't think many teens at that age know what they're getting themselves into sometimes.
..oh my god i'm probably gonna be one of those parents that are like "no dating till you're married" lol

kalyee

Are there some relationships that would work out between adults and minors? Sure, I've seen them happen. Are there a lot that won't, and will end in a lot of nonsense and possibly long lasting consequences - possibly even legal ones? You bet. With a lot of things, you have to weigh consequences and benefits. With the amount of trouble that can be caused in these relationships, a lot of "he said, she said" and emotions that can get in the way and cause serious problems for either party, is the risk really worth the couple of relationships that may end up developing into something life long? Not in my opinion.
If the two are meant to be together, once it's legal and they've had time to mature and know each other as friends and get to a place where they are both familiar with adult responsibilities, then they'll be together. If the few years they'd have to wait doesn't leave them feeling the same way they had, willing to try it out, it wasn't meant to be.

When I was 16, I was in a relationship with someone who was 22, and at 17 someone who was 20. These were my only two relationships prior to my current - I am 19, he is 22, and it's going quite well - and they were terrible. I've always been very mature for my age, more inclined to hang with an older crowd, mixing very well with adults and speaking at-level with my elders, having seen a lot of things people my age don't, and I still wasn't ready for the mess that was an unbalanced relationship of that type.
I was living with my parents, I didn't have a car or my own place, or really my own freedoms, and it caused me to act out when I wasn't with my boyfriend because I felt like I was older and deserved to be able to do the adult things he did. They were very immature themselves - a lot of guys in their twenties... they aren't always as adult as you'd like to think. And the whole mess wasn't worth the stress or the emotions. And when my parents disapproved? Whether or not we had had a physical relationship, a lot of things could have gone wrong for my partner and caused them a lot of trouble.

I think the laws are fine the way they are - for the most part - regarding these things, but unless it's a very special situation, not a lot of minors are ready for relationships with those years ahead.

I think there should be an age difference limit. For example, minors can't date someone who is more than 7 years older than them. It makes more sense than cutting an 18 or 19 year old off from a 17 year old. That's just silly.

As long as it's not outrageous age differences, I think it should be legal. Also as long as nothing is going on like if a 13 year old was dating a 22 year old and this was a physical relationship, that's not okay.

Cat

Age of Consent is 16 and should be. Anyone doing anything to anyone below that age which involves a winky face is considered a child molester. Just saying.
The age of consent actually varies in different states, as the age required to serve alcohol varies as well.

I think there should be an age difference limit. For example, minors can't date someone who is more than 7 years older than them. It makes more sense than cutting an 18 or 19 year old off from a 17 year old. That's just silly.
Sort of like the "Half-your-age-plus 7" rule? I feel like that could get tricky. Would this rule only apply to minors or would it encompass all ages? I don't really see the purpose of dating when you're a minor anyways, very few relationships are serious and generally very few of them work out. The law is set in place for a reason, and although there's no way to enforce preventing a minor getting emotionally involved with someone older than them, there is for getting physically involved; which poses many risks. I agree with Acey that the law is there for a very important reason. Nothing can stop you from liking a person beyond your age gap, and honestly, if both sides are actually 'into' the relationship, and want it to work, then they will wait until it is socially and legally acceptable to get serious about dating.