Support Cancer Awareness

How do you feel about this idea?

• I love it!

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • I like the basis of it, but we'd have to edit it to make it a little more reasonable.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I don't think this is a great idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

McGruff

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums, but I've been on myVMK for about two years now, on and off. I enjoy this website when I have time to visit it, and I've met a lot of wonderful people on here. I know you may be less inclined to hear what I have to say since I am not as dedicated a member as some, but I'm going to share something somewhat personal and ask that you all be respectful about it.

In October of 2015 I was diagnosed with Diffuse B-cell Lymphoma in my left heel. For those of you who don't know, Lymphoma is a cancer of the blood, more specifically the lymph nodes. It was a huge shock, and my life was flipped upside down. It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through, and everything normal about my life was uprooted.

However, I'm happy to say that after four months with four very intense week-long chemotherapy sessions, I am cancer free and still in remission. I'm still recovering, but feeling a little better every week. My hair is coming back wavy which is interesting because it used to be straight! But overall, I'm very grateful to be alive.

I think it would be an awesome idea to raise awareness for all of the different types of cancer, and perhaps release a ribbon pin of the color of the cancer during the month in which it is recognized. For example, Lymphoma's color is lime green and its month is September, right before Breast cancer which is pink and in October. It could be a great way to bring awareness to all different types of cancer. I know that breast cancer gets a lot of awareness, and I don't want it to get any less attention by any means, I just want to help all cancers be recognized equally and thought this could be a fun way to do it.

I think it would be cool to have a little blurb in the newsletter too about it. I would be willing to share my story for lymphoma awareness. Obviously there's a lot of different cancers, and I wouldn't expect them to do this every year, but maybe once a month for one whole year? I know I might be asking a lot, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe if that's too much, we could brainstorm on other ideas of how to raise awareness. :)

Thanks to all those who read this and heard me out. Please don't pity me, I'm very happy and fortunate. I didn't post this for any attention, just to bring awareness to multiple good causes. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Sincerely,
lilshoppinggirl :hat:

I think this is a very thoughtful thing to do! It would be nice to have awareness ribbons in the game especially since nowadays almost everyone is directly/indirectly impacted by cancer and other illnesses.

I'm glad you're beginning to feel better, and hope that you remain cancer free! :hugs:

D: lil, I didn't know this hope you're doing better!:cloud9::hug::cape::fly::hearts:

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I like the idea of awareness ribbons. But not just cancer. So maybe once I month we can focus on a different illness like neurological diseases, mental health. Heart disease, etc. I am so glad you are doing better and hoping you never leave remission and are cured. Since we all come from different backgrounds and we support so many charities I would suggest if a certain charity in the health area means a lot that they submit a request and if possible the art work for it. Then let the staff decide if this can be done.

Kelsey

my grandpa recently passed away from cancer and he was best friend so this is close to my heart :clap: happy for you!