survey needed for college assignment.

karsella

formerly electrified;;
okay, so yes ~ in one of my classes, we have to give out a survey as one of our final assignments.
i decided to procrastinate, which really isn't much of a surprise for me.
my topic is focused on the media's influence on how we see ourselves.
so if you could fill out this survey (in this thread or via PM), i'd pretty much love you forever!

1. What is your age group?
A) 10-20 yrs
B) 21-40 yrs
C) 41-50 yrs
D) 51 yrs and over

2. What is your gender?
A) Male
B) Female
C) Prefer not to say

3. Are you comfortable with the way you look?
A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

4. Do you feel that the way others see you is important?
A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

5. Do advertisements bother you in its treatment of women/men’s bodies?
A) Yes
B) No / Never noticed it
C) Somewhat

6.Do you think that pictures of women/men in the media have an impact on how people feel about themselves?
A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

7. Are you satisfied with your current weight and overall appearance?
A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

8. How do you feel about your body?
A) Proud
B) Content
C) Neutral
D) Dissatisfied

9. Do you feel that society pressures you to be thin?
A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

10. In what ways do you think people are generally discriminated against for their looks?

11. How important do you think physical appearance is for men in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important.

12. How important do you believe physical appearance is to women in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important.

Last edited:
1) A
2) A
3) C
4) C
5) B
6) A
7) C
8) B
9) B
10) Well people of the opposite sex usually want an attractive partner, I don't know why because I think truly appearance is what you should least worry about, you should worry about who they really are.
11) 7
12) 9

Hope I helped you! Good luck on your assignment :D

philitup

The Internet Champion!
1. What is your age group? A

2. What is your gender? Male

3. Are you comfortable with the way you look? Yes

4. Do you feel that the way others see you is important? Yes

5. Do advertisements bother you in its treatment of women/men’s bodies? No

6.Do you think that pictures of women/men in the media have an impact on how people feel about themselves? Somewhat

7. Are you satisfied with your current weight and overall appearance? Yes

8. How do you feel about your body? Proud

9. Do you feel that society pressures you to be thin? Somewhat

10. In what ways do you think people are generally discriminated against for their looks? I think some people worry way too much about their partners looks. I also think less attractive people have a harder time getting a job, which I think is so stupid.

11. How important do you think physical appearance is for men in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. 6

12. How important do you believe physical appearance is to women in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. 8

Otters

A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?
B) Female

B) No

C) Somewhat

C) Somewhat

6.Do you think that pictures of women/men in the media have an impact on how people feel about themselves?
A) Yes

B) No

C) Neutral

C) Somewhat

10. In what ways do you think people are generally discriminated against for their looks?
People are judged by their weight and appearance in general. Even on kid's shows
they make fun of people that are bigger or seen as less attractive. A lot of people
are more focused on size rather than health.

11. How important do you think physical appearance is for men in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important.

12. How important do you believe physical appearance is to women in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important.

Jasmine

A) 10-20 yrs
B) 21-40 yrs
C) 41-50 yrs
D) 51 yrs and over

2. What is your gender?
A) Male
B) Female
C) Prefer not to say

A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat - I don't really care about other people's opinions of myself.

A) Yes
B) No / Never noticed it
C) Somewhat

A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat

A) Proud
B) Content
C) Neutral
D) Dissatisfied

A) Yes - I think it pressures some people, but it doesn't necessarily pressure me. I care more about being healthy, honestly.
B) No
C) Somewhat

10. In what ways do you think people are generally discriminated against for their looks? Anyone who dresses differently than what people consider 'normal' are often given looks of disgust. The same can be said for those who are overweight or obese. People often assume that people weigh what they weigh because they eat a lot, but people often fail to realize there are many medications (such as hormones and anti depressants) and conditions (such as Cushing's) that cause people to struggle with weight issues.

11. How important do you think physical appearance is for men in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. I think physical appearance is important, but personality means so much more to me. But if you're asking how important do I think a man's physical appearance is to himself, then I'd say a 9 or 10.

12. How important do you believe physical appearance is to women in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. Pretty much the same as above.

Last edited:

Cat

A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?
B)Female

C)Somewhat

C) Somewhat

A) Yes

A) Yes

B) No

D) Dissatisfied

A) Yes

Their weight, make-up, clothing, skin color, curves

12. How important do you believe physical appearance is to women in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. 8

Last edited:
A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?
B) Female

B) No

A) Yes

A) Yes

A) Yes

B) No

D) Dissatisfied

B) No
(I pressure myself)

Weight, Skin color

11. How important do you think physical appearance is for men in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. 5

A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?

B) Female

C) Somewhat

C) Somewhat

B) No / Never noticed it

C) Somewhat

C) Somewhat

C) Neutral

C) Somewhat

People who are generally discriminated against for their looks anywhere like school and work are usually judged by arrogant/ignorant/superficial people. Unfortunately the latter choose to be friends with people based on the way they look particularly in middle and high school which generally contributes to the formation of cliques. Populars in America are typically physically attractive in the stereotyped symmetrical way and/or obnoxiously outspoken usually fake. This applies at work, too. More or less depending where and who you work with.

However I do believe someone should be at least presentable because that means they take care of themself.

A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?
B) Female

A) Yes

C) Somewhat

A) Yes

A) Yes

C) Somewhat

B) Content

C) Somewhat

i feel like society has twisted and modified the image of what "beautiful" is supposed to be
and the fact that practically everyone else has gone along with it definitely impacts this image
and that definitely affects the young minds, those that are just starting to form an image of themselves and they feel like if they don't fit into the mold that society has created then they're "ugly"
if you look somewhat "different" then you're automatically stigmatized
for example, if someone has a birthmark on their face or anywhere visible, people will tease and poke fun of you because they're not what people are used to seeing on everyone

i think it varies, depending on the men
some men don't care at all and some are very superficial and shallow and value looks over personality
so i can't give a definite answer, but i'll probably go with 5 to neutralize the votes

same with my answer for the men^^
i'll go with 5 again

A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?
B) Female

B) No

A) Yes

A) Yes

A) Yes

B) No

C) Neutral

A) Yes

Weight, shape, and maybe race.

pirateguitarchick

eyerolling is my cardio.
this was fun (:
A) 10-20 yrs A
B) 21-40 yrs
C) 41-50 yrs
D) 51 yrs and over

2. What is your gender?
A) Male
B) Female B
C) Prefer not to say

A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat C

A) Yes A
B) No
C) Somewhat

A) Yes
B) No / Never noticed it B
C) Somewhat

A) Yes A
B) No
C) Somewhat

A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat C

A) Proud
B) Content
C) Neutral C
D) Dissatisfied

A) Yes
B) No
C) Somewhat C

I feel like in the modeling industry, people are looked down upon as not thin enough or their height isn't met up to their standards as in everyday life, it is more of a normal thing

11. How important do you think physical appearance is for men in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. 8

12. How important do you believe physical appearance is to women in your society? (rate 1-10); 1 being not at all, 10 being extremely important. 7

1.What is your age group?
B) 21-40 yrs

2. What is your gender?
B) Female

A) Yes

A) Yes

C) Somewhat

A) Yes

C) Somewhat

B) Content

C) Somewhat

Bodyweight and if they simply do not have “the look”

MagicFireball

Juice, or Mineral Water?
A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?
A) Male

C) Somewhat

C) Somewhat

B) No / Never noticed it

C) Somewhat

B) No

C) Neutral

B) No

Depends on the person that doesn't like a specific look due to either weight, height, or ethnicity.

Scribbles

ahh procrastination in college is so fun
good luck!

A) 10-20 yrs

2. What is your gender?
B) Female

C) Somewhat

C) Somewhat

C) Somewhat

A) Yes

B) No

D) Dissatisfied

A) Yes

If you don't look a certain way, you can be bullied and teased. You can get turned down for jobs and I guess generally for friends or significant others. It has to do with personal taste also, but everyone is discriminated for their looks. Humans are so judgmental and you can't escape it no matter where you go. Looks will always be important and everyone will be discriminated against for them at one point in their life.

NancyD

10) Well people of the opposite sex usually want an attractive partner, I don't know why because I think truly appearance is what you should least worry about, you should worry about who they really are.
If you're not physically attracted to the person you're with there's a problem. I think it's okay to want someone that has a great personality but is also nice to look at!