The closing of threads

Whispered

Two recent threads appear to have been closed without reason other than "closing this thread :)"

Mods should not close threads unless it is the only way to prevent violation of rules, or if the OP requests it.

---------------------------

I also think mods should be sending PMs to users whose threads are closed for whatever reason (unless obvious)

Whispered, I can re-open that thread for you?

I just assumed that because I answered saying we disabled the deletion notices and will now PM users when deleted, that the feedback was taken on board and answered?

Once a query has been answered/issue has been solved we close threads to keep the forums tidy :)

Please let me know if you want that re-opened.

Whispered

I don't think that it should be up to the staff when a user wants a thread closed (aside from massive rule violations). That way instead of having to recreate a thread/find a staff to allow the discussion to continue, it'd be possible to continue it.

On that note, would it be possible to have posts older than X days auto-deleted (like the auto-merger for doubles)? That'd solve this issue as if no discussion happens for a week (example) then it'd be safe to assume it was over.

We close things as they as clarified/solved/resolved/answered - we have always done it this way?

We do not delete any threads (unless extremely necessary-eg spambots).

We archive threads that are around a month old in the Trading Area and Announcement Area of the forums.

Other threads that are, as you say, older than X days are often replied to after a long period of time and this is why they are left open. It is only issues/trade/announcement threads that we close/move really :)

Whispered

Always doing something a certain way does not make it the way for eternity... There's no reason to close an answered thread, as you say, threads may be replied to.

Threads that are dedicated to asking questions whom have been resolved are closed for several reasons. It shows us, the staff, as well as the players, that the question has already been answered and there is no need to look over it. It saves us plenty of time since we don't need to visit every thread seeing if the question has been resolved or not.

We also close the thread so it can be used as reference material for the future - A thread with many posts makes it harder for someone to find the answer they may be looking for later on. By closing the thread after it has been resolved, it makes it easier for someone else to quickly find the answer instead of searching all over for it.