The State Of MyVMK On OSX Mavericks

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
I contacted apple care to figure out what's going on with myvmk and osx mavericks.

I spoke with three people and their managers to get to the bottom of why the issue happens.

The Verdict is that the issue is because Shockwave for Mac is 32-bit only. OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and later works with both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. OSX 10.9 Mavericks on the other hand only works in 64-bit. This causes an issue with Shockwave since it is 32-bit only.

The way to fix it is go into safari in applications in finder, right click safari, click on get info, and tick off the check box for "run in 32-bit". That will push safari to run in 32-bit to make shockwave happy. But the only issue with this, is that this feature is not working now. Apple Care said it will be in the next coming updates to activate that feature.

Tl;Dr - We know the issue, apple knows the issue, expect a fix through apple soon

Thanks for this, I sent an email in to Apple and they have yet to reply so glad to here this news.
Do you mind if I add a link to this on my thread?

Yay! i am glad to hear that this is Apple specific. i was starting to concern myself over this fact.

Hoping for fast and speedy resolution from Apple! We miss you mac users!

Kevin thank you again for all the help :thumbsup:

And yes it was Apple's fault after all as we guessed :thumbsdown:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Whispered

Tl;dr - Apple changed their software (again) in the backend and didn't tell anyone who makes programs for Mac that apple doesn't like (i.e. adobe) and so adobe product stopped working because they didn't know it would break.

Thanks Apple.

Glad to hear ya'll'll be back soon!

1 week out of the game and already missing out. This issue is driving me crazy :angry:

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
until apple disallows any non-safari browsers, and then disallows the WebGL libraries and protocols on Safari.
Highly improbable, but i enjoyed the cynicism.

But you are partially correct, they are making it increasingly difficult for firefox to thrive in a mac environment but allowing all the webkit engines to run, there three main types of browsers, webkit, moz, and ie.

Obviously moz is Firefox, and aurora ( aka Mozilla )
webkit spans opera, chrome, safari and the rest that is not Internet Explorer

The only way they can mess this up is re-build safari in their own browser codes which will be increasingly obnoxious for html coders (since they would then have to add more browser codes to graphics tags ( first world web dev problems ) ) as well as alienate many good browsers including their good friends google ( sarcasm ) and their baby Chrome.

honeypup

Really hoping this update comes soon! Thought I was the only one experiencing this issue! hehe but thank you for this post, was EXTREMELY helpful :)

oatman

I contacted apple care to figure out what's going on with myvmk and osx mavericks.

I spoke with three people and their managers to get to the bottom of why the issue happens.

The Verdict is that the issue is because Shockwave for Mac is 32-bit only. OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and later works with both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. OSX 10.9 Mavericks on the other hand only works in 64-bit. This causes an issue with Shockwave since it is 32-bit only.

The way to fix it is go into safari in applications in finder, right click safari, click on get info, and tick off the check box for "run in 32-bit". That will push safari to run in 32-bit to make shockwave happy. But the only issue with this, is that this feature is not working now. Apple Care said it will be in the next coming updates to activate that feature.

Tl;Dr - We know the issue, apple knows the issue, expect a fix through apple soon
This isn't entirely the problem, because if this were the case MyVMK would work fine in Google Chrome which is a 32-Bit browser across all systems.

Whispered

This isn't entirely the problem, because if this were the case MyVMK would work fine in Google Chrome which is a 32-Bit browser across all systems.
Mavericks does not support 32bit shockwave. Thus that's the problem. The browser does not matter - the shockwave compatibility does.

oatman

In the end, it's just a recompile on Adobe's part most likely.
I would honestly say that I think you are mostly right. Apparently the issue is with this thing in Director called Xtra's which allow developers to load in C++ code. The problem is that C++ code has to be compiled and if its not compiled for a specific system it can cause problems. (Especially with different packages and library dependencies). I know for a fact that this has NOTHING to do with Apple and everything to do with Adobe. When Adobe originally ported over Director to OS X they've always done a crummy job at it. I even heard on the Adobe Developer Forums that Adobe doesn't even have the latest version of their Xtra plugin supported on OS X. They are backporting an older version that Macromedia created, and anybody that is using any of the newer Xtra features is having issues with their director stuff as well.

Obviously Adobe cares more about its child Flash and less about it's adopted stepchild Shockwave. Since Adobe is barely making any money off of Director, I'd bet it's safe to say that we'll likely never see them patch this for Mavericks.

(I also don't know where the rumor started but this has NOTHING to do with 32-Bit anything... You can force the browser to load in 32-bit mode and shockwave is going to load in 32-bit mode anyway because its a 32-bit Unix Binary. The simple issue is likely a library or api change which Apple does quite often when they release a new OS)

I have pretty much the same problem. A few days ago, it let me long in, and it do both loading screens, now it won't even let me get that fair. It just lets me sign in, and then takes me right back to the sign in again. :/