The Tragedy that is Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout

Fantasyliger

I assume many of you are aware of this news.

DCA receiving a cheap overlay of GOTG into the Tower of Terror in Hollywoodland as the first component of a new Marvel themed area.

Your thoughts? Most of the Internet seems to be upset about this, except for of course the Marvel fanboys and Disney blog/vlog/guide shills. The rumor broke months ago on WDWMagic and the overlay was a mandate by Parks and Resorts chairman Bob Chapek (former head of Consumer Products) to get Marvel into the parks ASAP to sell more merchandise.

Thankfully at this point the Disney's Hollywood Studios TOT is not getting the re-theme, but it's still very possible. Fans saying "at least the DHS version is still there! Who cares? it's better anyway!" should be careful what they wish for because if this overlay is very successful, or even if it's not, the DHS Tower could fall victim to this as well eventually.

Well...a lot of my friends are either Disney park vloggers, or Marvel fanatics, so we've been discussing this quite a bit.

Personally, I think the redesign is completely tacky. It's nothing but a re-skin of a classic ride to pander to Marvel fans. If the plan was to bulldoze TOT and put in a new ride, I probably wouldn't be as frustrated with this as I am. Disney used to be innovative and fresh, but this is clearly a marketing move and nothing more.

Desertfreak

Lost Desert team member
BREAKING NEWS: The reason i's getting redesigned is because disney didn't want to re-sign the contract to keep the Tower of Terror name with NBC. It's shame they just couldn't tell the truth

Fantasyliger

BREAKING NEWS: The reason i's getting redesigned is because disney didn't want to re-sign the contract to keep the Tower of Terror name with NBC. It's shame they just couldn't tell the truth
Yes, they didn't resign the contract because they wanted to do this instead. The reason for this happening has nothing to do with the contract.

So does that mean it will happen in Disney World as well, mind you hate the ride but it will be sad if it goes.
Doubtful, as that pesky contract still prohibits it. For once, thought, that is a good thing. The tower at California Adventure was never nearly as popular as the tower in hollywood studios is. With everything else currently happening at Hollywood Studios, its doubtful that they would take down an anchor ride for a retheming. Perhaps, after Star Wars land and Toy Story land open, it could happen. But I for one hope that the tower remains as it is, as it is one of my overall favorite experiences from any park anywhere.

As much as I love Guardians Of The Galaxy, I want to be able to ride the Tower at least once.

That, and I feel like that doesn't really fit the Tower Of Terror theme. It'd more like a space ship ride tbh.