there is no such thing

InfinityFay

reverse discrimination (noun)
: the practice of making it more difficult for a certain type of person (such as a white man) to get a job, to go to a school, etc., because other people who were treated unfairly in the past are now being given an advantage.

Maybe next time you should give some people a definition and then say discuss.
Not much to discuss if you don't know what the term means exactly.

My input:
I disagree. There is reverse discrimination in applying for college. I see many more scholarships for African-American and Hispanic students than there are for White students.

I had a friend who got into Stanford on a SAT score of 1800 who was African American...beating out plenty of my white friends who scored >2100 and did all the same things she did. [She's my best friend, and I can say that this is the thought of many students too. She wasn't president of any clubs... she was just on the soccer team doing the exact same AP classes as everyone else and even scored low on some exams and high on some.]
It really matters what you put as your race. There's an obvious demand for black and hispanic students in schools these days because they want their campus to be seen as diverse. I didn't know that the color of your skin meant you were so different...

those who don't want to bother to research the term shouldnt bother to post

---------------------------

of the same token, there are plenty of black people who have scored high on their SATs, captain things etc. A person could look at that and say, well obviously they aren't picking the creme of the crop for black students either and maybe they are doing so intentionally.

InfinityFay

Hey, I gave you my opinion. I'm not saying that ALL black students get in. I'm just saying that at that particular situation, to all our friends that's what it seemed like.

Maybe it was reverse discrimination. Maybe it wasn't. We aren't researchers so we can't say anything as fact.

Jackal

: the practice of making it more difficult for a certain type of person (such as a white man) to get a job, to go to a school, etc., because other people who were treated unfairly in the past are now being given an advantage.

My input:
I disagree. There is reverse discrimination in applying for college. I see many more scholarships for African-American and Hispanic students than there are for White students.

I had a friend who got into Stanford on a SAT score of 1800 who was African American...beating out plenty of my white friends who scored >2100 and did all the same things she did. [She's my best friend, and I can say that this is the thought of many students too. She wasn't president of any clubs... she was just on the soccer team doing the exact same AP classes as everyone else and even scored low on some exams and high on some.]
It really matters what you put as your race. There's an obvious demand for black and hispanic students in schools these days because they want their campus to be seen as diverse. I didn't know that the color of your skin meant you were so different...
those who don't want to bother to research the term shouldnt bother to post

---------------------------

of the same token, there are plenty of black people who have scored high on their SATs, captain things etc. A person could look at that and say, well obviously they aren't picking the creme of the crop for black students either and maybe they are doing so intentionally.
You completely disregarded the second bold point. I share the aforementioned opinion of InfinityFay.

At my college they try to meet a quota so to speak. They try to accept a certain amount of people of different races (not white) just to make our campus look diverse. In other words, even if white student who is more qualified than another student of a different race, the other student would get in over the white student if they were still needing more diversity. So yes, it is out there.

Lost

At my college they try to meet a quota so to speak. They try to accept a certain amount of people of different races (not white) just to make our campus look diverse. In other words, even if white student who is more qualified than another student of a different race, the other student would get in over the white student if they were still needing more diversity. So yes, it is out there.
I hear the same thing happens for large companies. Not sure how true it is but I heard a long time ago that companies got benefits from the government for meeting a quota of hiring so many of certain minorities, it may have been UK schools though that that was about. Pretty sure there are benefits given for reaching that quota of having a certain amount of a minority though, even if there are better candidates.

My input:

I 100% agree with Infinity. As a college student I find it extremely hard to get scholarships, even with my 4.0. My ex boyfriend, who is half black, with a lower GPA, has to pay almost nothing because he automatically received so many scholarships due to his race.

Reverse discrimination, to me, implies that what's happening itself is not discrimination.

"Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex."

Because the preference of minorities (in whatever aspect, but especially race) is itself discrimination, I agree with the original point. Discrimination against white men is discrimination, there is no reason to give it another name.

LooseSeal

I don't agree with denoting it as "reverse discrimination". Discrimination is discrimination no matter what, regardless of who is the discriminator/who is being discriminated against.

That being said, affirmative action does have its merits, although I do think that socioeconomic status should have higher priority than race in things like college admissions, although in many cases SES and race are closely linked together. It all comes down to how many opportunities a person is given. Diversity is a major issue, though, and I feel that without programs like affirmative action college campuses (particularly older universities with small admissions rates, such as my own) would be dominated by white upper-class individuals whose families have those connections and resources to support their children by helping them procure internships, volunteer abroad, get expensive private SAT tutoring, etc. Racism and discrimination are both also still very much alive in this country.

Edit: While I'm at it, here's just an interesting Tumblr blog created by Harvard students which illustrates just how rampant racism still is in society and how minority populations are often marginalized in many universities.
http://itooamharvard.tumblr.com

These misconceptions are precisely why diversity is so important.

I don't agree with denoting it as "reverse discrimination". Discrimination is discrimination no matter what, regardless of who is the discriminator/who is being discriminated against.

That being said, affirmative action does have its merits, although I do think that socioeconomic status should have higher priority than race in things like college admissions, although in many cases SES and race are closely linked together. It all comes down to how many opportunities a person is given. Diversity is a major issue, though, and I feel that without programs like affirmative action college campuses (particularly older universities with small admissions rates, such as my own) would be dominated by white upper-class individuals whose families have those connections and resources to support their children by helping them procure internships, volunteer abroad, get expensive private SAT tutoring, etc. Racism and discrimination are both also still very much alive in this country.

Edit: While I'm at it, here's just an interesting Tumblr blog created by Harvard students which illustrates just how rampant racism still is in society and how minority populations are often marginalized in many universities.

While I think there is some racism still prevalent in University's, I go to one of the most diverse University's in the country, and as a white middle class student I find it close to impossible to get scholarships. I think there is such thing as too much affirmative action where it comes to the point that you're discriminated against for NOT being a minority.

While I think there is some racism still prevalent in University's, I go to one of the most diverse University's in the country, and as a white middle class student I find it close to impossible to get scholarships. I think there is such thing as too much affirmative action where it comes to the point that you're discriminated against for NOT being a minority.
I feel the same, as a middle class white person. Actually, I get more angry about my brother who was in a similar situation. When he was applying to med school, he was outright told by one of his interviewers that he would have been accepted, but they had already met their quota of white males.

I cannot fathom how people do not consider this racism. Racism does not mean discrimination against black people, or against hispanics, or other minorities. It can apply to anybody.