Tradition art VS. Digital art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think that preference of traditional over digital (and vice versa) is based on your experience of using the two variants. However, there are of course good and bad points about both when discussing which is better.

For me, I find it much harder colouring when doing traditional art than digital. This for me is because; 1) I have a bad wrist which colouring in with pencils doesn't help the least bit; and 2) In digital art, there are so many different ways of colouring in and shading, with multiple options for both brushes and layers, amongst other things.

Despite this, one reason for why I would prefer doing traditional art is that I find sketching and doing lineart much easier to do. I do not own a scanner, so I have to do all my sketching/lineart when doing digital drawings as I go along, which can sometimes be frustrating. Digital art does take some time getting used to (especially in my case - it took me months until I managed to draw something nice with my tablet), and it takes me a heck of a long time to get my sketching/lineart near-perfect because there's always something wrong (i.e. huge head, the whole thing's on the wonk, etc etc…) and ends up with myself getting unhappy with the outcome of the drawing. With traditional art, I find it much easier to sketch and draw without noticing things like giving characters massive heads (This is common with my art! lol) and also in most cases, you're drawing on a much smaller scale than with digital art.

As I've said, digital art can sometimes take a good deal of time to get to grips with, but of course there are a hefty amount of guides you can finding online (and in BOOKS! :yay:) which can help you along the way. Same thing also goes with traditional art, but with this you already have a feel of what your drawing is going to look like, so does not take as much time getting used to. But really, it is based on experience, and sometimes people will have a completely different preference with completely different views.

I think it depends on what kind of digital art you're talking about. I do traditional painting, but I'd love to do digital painting as well. The steps seem similar, and yes there is an undo button, and you don't get messy, but personally I find it a little more daunting than starting a physical painting. Granted, that's probably because I have more experience in that medium.

Some things are easier digitally: drawing a straight line, a circle, a square, matching colors, duplicating a design, making a pattern, etc. I agree that these items require less skill when done digitally. However, I believe that other things (like digital painting or digital sketching) require roughly the same amount of skill.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Question

Very Questionable
both traditional and digital art still require skill.

you can't just say people who use digital art have less talent than you just cus they don't draw by hand.

I prefer traditional art. To me it feels much more intimate to look at. That for every stroke, shade, color was carefully decided and done in the piece in a way I can trace back and ponder how and why the artist chose to do so. For some reason digital art usually borders on kitschy like this is it take it or leave it, depends on the designer because I do like album covers such as Overexposed and Supermodel that actually evoke an empathetic feeling. That's just my taste. It's not even knowing how the art was made, but how it's viewed most importantly felt. I don't think I would have the same feeling walking through a museum of digital art as I do traditional art like Escher, Degas, Monet, and any Renaissance style/other manually made art especially because not only is their work aesthetically provoking but also relates on a whole other level empathetically. The same goes for watching movies in 2D and 3D, I'd much rather watch a 2D for that aforementioned reason. Like the old Disney and Studio Ghibli movies beat any 3D CGI film to me because of the more intimate feel with the characters that feel more genuine in their look and movement. Sure 3D CGI movies are entertaining and eye-catching but I don't get the same sense of empathy I can get from personally hand drawn sketches that are fleshed and developed into a full storyboard. I guess why aesthetically they can reach farther into one's heart and mind rather than digital art just being ok that looks spiffy but yeah to me it doesn't have the same organic feel as traditional. Personal preference really as digital art is good for marketing business (retail, etc.), games, websites but usually more to serve a commercial service versus being more than just eye candy to just be taken at face value. Traditional art sorta forces you to do more than just look but think than most digital art.

Although I prefer traditional art, digital art sure can be considered art but I don't particularly like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.