Unannounced items leaving

I understand why they retire items and why they don't give a warning, but they do retire them a bit fast sometimes. But I guess in the end I have to remind myself it's just a game and I need to focus more on my responsibilities outside of the game and less on virtual items.

I'm not one to complain, but I agree the Valentine's Day items went away way too quickly.
For Christmas, we had the ornament crates. Those lasted a month, if not longer. Now for Valentines day, another holiday, we had the heart crates, which lasted a week, tops.
Also, I found the Key to Heart keys to be by far, the most difficult to find. I, myself, did not find any. I had to trade for all mine.
A little longer with the Valentines Day items would have been nice.
<3

That kind of defeats the purpose of retiring items.. The whole point of retiring an item is to give it more "rarity" or "value". Other than that, there's no reason to ever retire items.

If they announced "Hey! We're retiring <such and such a pin> tomorrow at noon!" people would buy 100 each of the pin, and it wouldn't be rare when retired. so..
Yes. This. They should not announce when they are retiring items. It's pointless and defeats the purpose of 'rare'.
Look at it the other way. If they announced what they were bringing back in the future it would destroy the idea of 'rare'. If they said the flip hat is coming back out in March, it would lose all its value. People won't feel the need to trade their life away for it because they can just get it in March.

Fotogirl

I like the fact that they retire items without notice to give some things in the game enough "value" to make the aspect of trading a fun part of the vmk experience. Its also understandable that not everyone enjoys trading so they are going to be the ones to be disappointed when things go away before they have had the opportunity to purchase or earn said item. In the end they are still just pixels and no one's life will end if they miss something. I would have loved to see the Heart Key/crate system go on for a while longer, but its gone now so its time to find another aspect to keep the magic going. Its there .. each person just has to find it for themselves. For me the last crate/key was a fabulous idea and it brought a much needed aspect of social interaction into the game in a big way. My friend had a crate opening room which at times got very busy but also people came into the room and just sat and talked with one another. I think part of what made her room successful was the fact that when you opened one of her crates you did not have to take the item you opened. She had placed some of her own heart chairs among the crates to be opened and if you saw one you liked better on the floor you could choose that and leave the one you actually opened for the next player who may be searching for that color. If there was no one actually opening crates she would also swap hearts on the floor for ones you may have without the need to have a key to open a crate. It was a very fair system and worked well because I saw many players returning when they would earn another key to try for one they needed or wanted, knowing that if they did not get the one they wanted they could perhaps swap it for one that may have been opened by someone else but they chose another color. In the short time the room was open there were many crates opened including 10 Enchanted roses and in the end I think everyone left her room happy. For me, the social aspect of the game was given a huge boost by the fact that you could not open your own crate. Unfortunately, there was a down side to it also in that I heard of some people actually keeping the items and not giving the person the item received from an opened crate. Its sad you will always have those people who feel the need to be greedy in any game scenario, and ruin the experience for some. But all in all, I think it was an ingenious idea to have a crate needed to be opened by someone else and I hope that aspect returns in future crate/key releases.

Well, holidays are more understandable, but for the flag pins at least, I think it would've been nice for them to stay for a week or at least 2-3 days. The pins are clearly special to everyone and I think everyone should have a fair chance to get their flag, ya know? Plus, when you consider connection problems and time zones it makes it feel like the items are being snatched away from you. Everyone should have a fair chance at obtaining something that represents the world. (: So, if not now, I hope to see them released again in the future.

I feel as if the time zones play a big roles in this as well. Well in the game as a whole. Im wondering if the staff could set up a certain time on the calendars for each time zone the host games are going to be playing, for example. It would be really useful because when it says "Wheres the bear? With Grizzly 6-8pm" What time would it be in a different time zone?

Aside from that, thanks for everyone giving their feedback. I'll take into consideration on stocking up some pins or anything else for trade :surrender:

Sharks

They were Valentine's Day items. The fact that they were on sale for more than a day was great, you honestly can't complain about them retiring 3 days later. It's pretty common sense that things like that won't last long.

I feel as if the time zones play a big roles in this as well. Well in the game as a whole. Im wondering if the staff could set up a certain time on the calendars for each time zone the host games are going to be playing, for example. It would be really useful because when it says "Wheres the bear? With Grizzly 6-8pm" What time would it be in a different time zone?

Aside from that, thanks for everyone giving their feedback. I'll take into consideration on stocking up some pins or anything else for trade :surrender:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html Hope this helps.

Fiyero

While I understand how many of you feel, it seems like many of you want the Staff and the game to accommodate you completely, and if they don't do that, you're discouraged to play. You honestly cannot expect the Staff to be completely focused around you and your schedule. For them to release every item for a week would absolutely destroy the small economy we have. And I have many friends who would be completely unhappy about that because they thrive and enjoy trading and they see it as one of the key parts of the game.

I understand many of you and your desire to have all of your favorite items back, or get them because you never had them then, but it seems like no matter what the Staff does, someone is gonna be upset in this regard. They leave it out for a week, and someone is gonna come back saying they were on vacation and it's not fair that they didn't get it. Leave it out for a month, and someone who joins the game a day after is gonna be mad because they didn't get a chance at it. I don't agree with a good number of things the Staff has done, but with this I think they're doing their best. They have done exactly what the old game does. They try to cater to the stockpilers and the traders and the casual gamers.

As I said earlier, and a few others said on this topic, trading can be a fantastic thing. Get a few extra of an item you're here for. If you're absent when something else is released, try and trade for it. Someone is always out their willing to make a fair trade.

While I understand how many of you feel, it seems like many of you want the Staff and the game to accommodate you completely, and if they don't do that, you're discouraged to play. You honestly cannot expect the Staff to be completely focused around you and your schedule. For them to release every item for a week would absolutely destroy the small economy we have. And I have many friends who would be completely unhappy about that because they thrive and enjoy trading and they see it as one of the key parts of the game.

I understand many of you and your desire to have all of your favorite items back, or get them because you never had them then, but it seems like no matter what the Staff does, someone is gonna be upset in this regard. They leave it out for a week, and someone is gonna come back saying they were on vacation and it's not fair that they didn't get it. Leave it out for a month, and someone who joins the game a day after is gonna be mad because they didn't get a chance at it. I don't agree with a good number of things the Staff has done, but with this I think they're doing their best. They have done exactly what the old game does. They try to cater to the stockpilers and the traders and the casual gamers.

As I said earlier, and a few others said on this topic, trading can be a fantastic thing. Get a few extra of an item you're here for. If you're absent when something else is released, try and trade for it. Someone is always out their willing to make a fair trade.

"But Wil it's MYvmk" - The thoughts of the people who want announcements.

Forreal I agree with this fully. If you want something before it retires (we all know everything will retire sooner or later) then buy it quickly. Play JC or FW with friends to earn credits to save up. I know you are disappointed, but try to have fun! (: It's merely pixels in a game, loves.

They were Valentine's Day items. The fact that they were on sale for more than a day was great, you honestly can't complain about them retiring 3 days later. It's pretty common sense that things like that won't last long.
:clap:

Seriously, 3 days is really generous.

aliceblue

And it was to my knowledge that those items would only be on sale for V-Day to begin with. Just 1 day. I think we're lucky we had it for a few days longer.
Actually, it was never specified how long any of those items would be for sale; all the home page said was "limited time only". Fair enough to assume that the buyables were special for Valentine's Day, but IMO it would have been common courtesy to let us know how long the keys were going to be dropped, as we then could have made reasonable decisions about how many crates to buy. With all of the lag, disconnecting and down time that happened over the weekend, there was really not much opportunity for players to get the keys.

I don't mind stocking up on items before they disappear, but I'm not happy about wasting my hard-earned credits on crates, especially when there were so many Valentine's items to buy in a very short period of time.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
Actually, it was never specified how long any of those items would be for sale; all the home page said was "limited time only". Fair enough to assume that the buyables were special for Valentine's Day, but IMO it would have been common courtesy to let us know how long the keys were going to be dropped, as we then could have made reasonable decisions about how many crates to buy. With all of the lag, disconnecting and down time that happened over the weekend, there was really not much opportunity for players to get the keys.

I don't mind stocking up on items before they disappear, but I'm not happy about wasting my hard-earned credits on crates, especially when there were so many Valentine's items to buy in a very short period of time.
Yeah I bought a bunch of crates for the purpose to use keys on them as I suspected keys would last longer than they did. I also bought a bunch of the crates just because the shade of red they have is what I could find useful for rooms I may make later.

It would have been nice to see them go a little longer due to all of the server trouble that has been happening lately as well.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!

I did specifically say, "To my knowledge" as in the extent of my understanding on this topic was that it was exclusively for that day. Sure it's common courtesy to announce that the items will be retiring shortly, but I don't recall there having been an announcement thus far of any of the previous items retiring prior to them actually leaving the shops. I don't personally see it as a big deal, but I'm not in the mentality of "gotta have every item that comes out", I just buy what I like when the opportunity presents itself and if it so happens I miss out on something oh well. I can always trade for it later. I too buy a bunch of crates, I only bought about 20 and didn't actually have time to get any keys at all, but it's fine with me. I'm sure there's someone out there with some keys to trade still. This is just my take on things.

aliceblue

Sure it's common courtesy to announce that the items will be retiring shortly, but I don't recall there having been an announcement thus far of any of the previous items retiring prior to them actually leaving the shops.
Back in October, there was a schedule posted for the whole month with specific release and retirement dates for all of the costume pieces. It was extremely helpful. However my comment was in reference to the keys only, not the buyables. I did say I thought it was fair to assume that the buyables would be special for that day. Limited-time purchases can be prepared for with credits; limited-time drops of keys when the game is frequently down or malfunctioning cannot be prepared for, and I don't think it would have hurt them to give us a heads-up about the cutoff date, so we could have realistically estimated how many crates we needed to buy. It's not about the pixels; it's about being treated with courtesy. The more clear communication there is on the home page regarding new items, the better impression players will have of the game as a whole. MyVMK has done a good job of this in the past, and I'm hoping to see a little more consistency in the future.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Back in October, there was a schedule posted for the whole month with specific release and retirement dates for all of the costume pieces. It was extremely helpful. However my comment was in reference to the keys only, not the buyables. I did say I thought it was fair to assume that the buyables would be special for that day. Limited-time purchases can be prepared for with credits; limited-time drops of keys when the game is frequently down or malfunctioning cannot be prepared for, and I don't think it would have hurt them to give us a heads-up about the cutoff date, so we could have realistically estimated how many crates we needed to buy. It's not about the pixels; it's about being treated with courtesy. The more clear communication there is on the home page regarding new items, the better impression players will have of the game as a whole. MyVMK has done a good job of this in the past, and I'm hoping to see a little more consistency in the future.
Oh no doubt. It would've been very helpful for them to give everyone a heads-up that the keys were going away at this day, at this time, etc etc. And yes I agree it would've been very courteous of them to post an announcement. From my perspective, I'm just not as invested in it enough to be upset over a lack of courtesy because there was no announcement, or even that the keys retired sooner than expected. In my opinion and from my perspective, it's just not a big deal to me.

I'm not one to complain, but I agree the Valentine's Day items went away way too quickly.
For Christmas, we had the ornament crates. Those lasted a month, if not longer. Now for Valentines day, another holiday, we had the heart crates, which lasted a week, tops.
Also, I found the Key to Heart keys to be by far, the most difficult to find. I, myself, did not find any. I had to trade for all mine.
A little longer with the Valentines Day items would have been nice.
<3
actually they lasted 3 days the Fri the 14th thru Mon 17th