vBulletin 3.X or 4.X?

vBulletin 3.X or 4.X?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After researching, cause i didn't have a clue.. I would say 3.x. And for anyone not sure, there is a a lot of info out there... just Google.

vBulletin 3.X or 4.X?

Jasmine

bird said:
VB4 Please.. I like the plugin support it has..

PS. Why not vb5?
I hope you're joking. vBulletin 5 is not an option. It never should be.

@Amy: I'm going to tell you straight. Most users will vote vBulletin 3 because that's what they're familiar with. I guarantee you that's what the outcome of the poll will be. Most haven't even seen vB4, though it's been out nearly 3 years. Too many forums are stuck in the past using vB3 =/.

Anyway, go with 4.2.1. 4.2.2 Alpha was released not to long ago, so a stable release should be out soon. It mainly focuses on fixing PHP 5.4 compatibility. vB4 has better plug ins (such as DBTech's) and vB3 is EOL. It has too many problems and a lot of plug-ins won't work properly with the latest versions. I was surprised OVMKF was running it; I figured they'd at least be running 3.8.8 Alpha.

vB4 is so much easier to skin in too, so whenever or if ever you hire graphic artists, they will thank you :)
It also has blogs built in, and a CMS, though it's horrible. If you do go with 4, and you should, please install vBadvanced!
Most members won't know the difference between 3 and 4, because they're mainly on the back-end. (For those who do not know: the biggest difference between vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4 is the look. vBulletin 4 has an updated look from 3, and it's much more modern. Other than that, you guys will hardly notice a difference, because like I said, they're mainly on the back-end.) Like I mentioned before, skinning is easier, it has the "Who has read a thread" add-on already made in (which really isn't necessary, but whatever. At least you don't have to install it if you want it :P), blogs are already built-in, it has a more modern look (3 was released, what...10 years ago?), and is overall better. Trust me. You won't be sorry if you go with it. It'll save you problems in the future. (Unless you don't mind having to fix the problems that vB3 has/is going to have...) The main pro most members seem to like is the fact that you don't have to put pictures in an album to have a profile background. Profile customization is so much easier. Adding custom links/editing the navbar is 100% easier than vB3, too. Actually, vBulletin 4's customization is just plain amazing. You should see some of the skins :D. Some basic phrases are changed in vB4 though, so Amy, you'd probably want to change them to what they are in vB3. For example, "User CP" is now "Settings". Most users tend to get confused about those.

MrBrandon said:
I like vB 3 better because it's easily customizable, the ACP is easier to navigate, and the profiles are more interesting, IMO
vB3 is not easily customizable. Have you ever skinned it? Also, vB4's ACP is exactly the same as vB3's, lol. And yes, they're actually exactly the same...I believe there are 2-3 differences, but you won't even notice them unless you're extremely familiar with vB3. I don't like vB4's profiles either, but you can change the template using CSS so the sidebar is on the right. It makes the profiles look more like vBulletin 3. It took me forever to figure it out, but I finally did it, and they definitely look a lot better on the right.

Maleficent said:
I like the stability of 3 in my browser, but I like the ability to connect via my iphone with 4. I voted 3 because stability wins over mobility for me.
EDIT: Just wanted to add that there is no difference stability-wise between the two versions. There was a problem with IE10, but for now (as of 4.2.1), it's "solved", so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. You can also use vB3 forums while you're mobile. There are mobile skins and plug-ins, such as Tapatalk.

EDIT 2: I'm not gonna lie, there is an exploit in vB versions 4.1.11 (or something like that)+, so I suggest you research that, Amy. You would just need to delete the /install/ folder. I wouldn't really worry about it though, because a) 4.2.2 will be out sooner or later and b) deleting the /install/ folder is the "fix" for now.

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
Jess said:
bird said:
VB4 Please.. I like the plugin support it has..

PS. Why not vb5?
I hope you're joking. vBulletin 5 is not an option. It never should be.

@Amy: I'm going to tell you straight. Most users will vote vBulletin 3 because that's what they're familiar with. I guarantee you that's what the outcome of the poll will be. Most haven't even seen vB4, though it's been out nearly 3 years. Too many forums are stuck in the past using vB3 =/.

Anyway, go with 4.2.1. 4.2.2 Alpha was released not to long ago, so a stable release should be out soon. It mainly focuses on fixing PHP 5.4 compatibility. vB4 has better plug ins (such as DBTech's) and vB3 is EOL. It has too many problems and a lot of plug-ins won't work properly with the latest versions. I was surprised OVMKF was running it; I figured they'd at least be running 3.8.8 Alpha.

vB4 is so much easier to skin in too, so whenever or if ever you hire graphic artists, they will thank you :)
It also has blogs built in, and a CMS, though it's horrible. If you do go with 4, and you should, please install vBadvanced!
Most members won't know the difference between 3 and 4, because they're mainly on the back-end. (For those who do not know: the biggest difference between vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4 is the look. vBulletin 4 has an updated look from 3, and it's much more modern. Other than that, you guys will hardly notice a difference, because like I said, they're mainly on the back-end.) Like I mentioned before, skinning is easier, it was the "Who has read a thread" add-on already made in, blogs are already made in, it has a more modern look (3 was released, what...10 years ago?), and is overall better. Trust me. You won't be sorry if you go with it. It'll save you problems in the future. (Unless you don't mind having to fix the problems that vB3 has/is going to have...) The main pro most members seem to like is the fact that you don't have to put pictures in an album to have a profile background. Profile customization is so much easier. Adding custom links/editing the navbar is 100% easier than vB3, too. Actually, vBulletin4's customization is just plain amazing. You should see some of the skins :D. Some basic phrases are changed in vB4, so Amy, you'd probably want to change them. For example, "User CP" is now "Settings". Most users tend to get confused about those.

MrBrandon said:
I like vB 3 better because it's easily customizable, the ACP is easier to navigate, and the profiles are more interesting, IMO
vB3 is not easily customizable. Have you ever skinned it? Also, vB4's ACP is exactly the same as vB3's, lol. And yes, they're actually exactly the same...I believe there are 2-3 differences, but you won't even notice them unless you're extremely familiar with vB3. I don't like vB4's profiles either, but you can change the template using CSS so the sidebar is on the left. It makes the profiles look more like vBulletin 3. It took me forever to figure it out, but I finally did it. They definitely look a lot better on the left.

Yes, it was a joke. im glad you got it. And for all those who didnt understand a word that was said on here i will translate it to as simple as possible.

1. Version 4 can look prettier more easily
2. Version 4 can have better features

DONE

Jasmine

bird said:
Yes, it was a joke. im glad you got it. And for all those who didnt understand a word that was said on here i will translate it to as simple as possible.

1. Version 4 can look prettier more easily
2. Version 4 can have better features

DONE
Good! Most people won't get it :P.

Oops, sorry. Was it too technical? It was mainly aimed at Amy =/.

Re: vBulleting 3.X or 4.X?

Tron said:
Amy, I would just like to say I really enjoy how you're putting these polls up. It's nice that we're getting a say on these things.
with that being said, either or.

vB 3 is the most common version but vB 4 retains the same familiarity but has much better features and is easier to use from a technical stand point. Don't bother with vB 3, just go to 4. But any vB is better than PHP BB by a long shot

I personally I have used vBulletin 3 on many other sites and find it super easy to use, both user and admin. My vote goes to vB 3. :)

I love the polls, but I just hope that Amy reads what we have to say rather than just looking at the results. I've seen a lot of good cases for vb4, which should hold more value than "I'm used to it." ;)

@Jess thank you now I understand lol.

MagicMatt said:
I love the polls, but I just hope that Amy reads what we have to say rather than just looking at the results. I've seen a lot of good cases for vb4, which should hold more value than "I'm used to it." ;)
Agreed. The cases for 4 are very reasonable, and even though I'm used to 3, my vote went for 4.

Re: vBulleting 3.X or 4.X?

Tron said:
Amy, I would just like to say I really enjoy how you're putting these polls up. It's nice that we're getting a say on these things.
Yeah, and I'm glad that Amy is being able to be heard as she should have been from the beginning not just Grace. And as for 3.X or 4.X I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I look forward to seeing whatever you bring. :thumbsup:

I like the look of vBulletin 4 better, but I don't really know the features or either.

I personally love Xenforo, but I know that's more expensive.

Also, thanks for having these polls!

I don't really know much of anything about either of them. However, from reading the posts, I am not into mobility with the forum so there is no plus there for me. I also like stability and others are saying v3 is more user friendly. But would this be an investment that is quickly obsolete because v5 coming out? That would also be something to consider which would give more votabality for v4.

V3 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:
v4 :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

V5 Is this a possibility?

xP Yeah, now I know why you posted a poll. lol

vB 4 has the same degree of user friendliness as vB 3. The ACP (Admin Control Panel) and the MCP (Moderator Control Panel) are the exact same as they are in vB 3. vB 4 is easier to customize, it supports the latest plugins, standards etc. And the biggest thing is that it has pretty good mobile support included. Which is pretty important and speaks for itself and needs no explanation as to why it is.

The choice is fairly simple, vB 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.