VMK's Impact IRL ~

We’re all something.

We can all identify ourselves with a single word.

Some of us are students. Maybe an employee. A mom or dad. A sibling. A son or daughter. An athlete. A really good friend. Anything. But something.

I’m a student, a sorority sister, a real life sister, and a daughter. That's what I identify myself as.

The more I play VMK, the less I identify with any of these.

The more I play VMK, the less I identify with ANYTHING other than “obsessive VMK player.”

Every since I found out about VMK’s kind of re-opening (in February,) I grew addicted quickly. I’ve been playing with purpose to accumulate items and make friends and be cool and known for something on here. My main goal this summer was to get as much as I could on VMK before I have to go back to school and I don’t have as much time to play. And I’ve gotten pretty far in these past 3 months. I’ve made some of the most AMAZING friends on this game. I’ve gotten so close to people that some of them are coming over for Thanksgiving, I’m driving up to see one of them in 3 days, and I’m making plans to go to Disneyland with others. It’s been a cool ride.

Wait for the cliche.

I’ve played so much in these past 3 months that I’ve 100% lost sight of what matters. I’ve lacked as a student. I’ve lacked as a sister. And I’ve lacked the hardest as a daughter.

As cliche as it is, it's SO accurate.

I’ve played so much in these past 3 months that I’ve become more invested in furthering and facilitating the growth of my online/virtual friendships than my real life, long term, existing friendships.

It’s taken me 3 months to realize what a lacking friend I’ve become.

I got banned yesterday (for something I think is slightly ridiculous, but that’s besides the point.) As soon as I got banned, I started laughing because it’s like, okay, this is funny, I’ve never been banned. Whatever. I guess this gives me a reason to have a day to myself, right? Right.

Wrong.

I woke up this morning this morning and instantly tried to log into VMK. Haha... oops. Didn’t work. My morning routine is VMK, then breakfast, then VMK.... then VMK. Being banned has helped be realize that this game has become an addiction. It’s become the core of my routine that I can’t seem to shake or reduce.

I’ve recently been involved in some issues and I guess we can say ‘drama’ on VMK that has affected not only me, but my friends on the game. The issues that I’ve faced with others on this game have made me sad in real life. How are we letting this happen? Why are we letting this innocent game turn into something that causes 40 and 15 year olds to argue over? Why are we letting ourselves turn into someone else when we’re online?

Girls on here who may feel the same--- why are we letting boys with bad reputations and cruel intentions talk to us romantically? Why are we getting involved in drama with other girls and creating enemies? Why are we letting this game make us sad and depressed and emotional? (this obviously doesn’t apply to all of us.)

And to some of you boys--- why are you taking advantage of girls on here? Why are you acting out with malicious intent to other people who mean no harm? Why are you pretending to be someone you aren’t and fooling your friends? Why are you manipulating girls? Why are you letting people hurt you and tease you? (again, not applicable to everyone.)

But most importantly, why am I letting this happen to me too? I’m almost 19 and I’m often offended by the words and actions of pixelated characters on my computer.

I'm an adult that's watching boys on here take advantage of girls and bully other people AND GET AWAY WITH IT, and there's little I can do about it.

I thought this was all supposed to be easy and fun and relaxing and a break from the real world.

While I am SO thankful for the rebirth of this beautiful game I’ve loved and missed so much and I am grateful to the staff for working diligently for us and clearly my problems aren't their faults, I feel like my obsessive playing made me become less of myself. And as much as I tell myself I should quit and give all my things away because I need to focus on ME, I physically cannot bring myself to do it. That’s how bad it’s gotten.

I’m not looking for pity and I’m not looking for arguments.

I wrote this because
> I have a strong feeling that I’m not the only one who feels this way, and I want to be there for anyone who might feel the same.
> I want to let guys on here know that it’s not okay to manipulate and womanize the girls on here.
> I want this game to BE easy and fun and relaxing for everyone.

I also wrote this because I wanted to know if anyone who has felt like this was able to find a solution that worked for them and break free from the chains of VMK addiction.

And I also want to give you all one piece of advice:

BE YOURSELF. NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WHAT YOU’RE DOING, WHO YOU’RE TALKING TO, AND WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT.

Sure this is the internet and it’s easy to fake who you are or manipulate other people. While I don’t believe in karma, I believe in a God that blesses the kind-hearted. Just because it’s an online game doesn’t mean that your cruel actions won’t catch up to you eventually.

We’re all something. Choose to be something good.

Jasmine

BE YOURSELF. NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WHAT YOU’RE DOING, WHO YOU’RE TALKING TO, AND WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT.

Sure this is the internet and it’s easy to fake who you are or manipulate other people. While I don’t believe in karma, I believe in a God that blesses the kind-hearted. Just because it’s an online game doesn’t mean that your cruel actions won’t catch up to you eventually.
I completely agree with you on this.

Though I wish everyone could just be themselves, it'll never happen. Part of the community is too afraid they'll upset the staff members and bam... their chances of becoming one are ruined. Another part is just afraid of not fitting in, being popular, wants constant attention, or something to that degree. The final part is the minority and this part simply doesn't care. There's no drama, there's no lying, pretending to be someone else, or sucking up. Everyone in this part is being themselves at all times.

And while I'd also like everyone to keep "treat others how you'd like to be treated" in mind, I know that won't happen either. I also know that so many players in this community have so many mental diagnoses, and perhaps that's actually why this community is toxic at times. There's a bunch of compulsive liars and attention seekers. I swear that half of the people that complain about their drama are secretly loving it because of the attention they're getting. It's a shame, but eh... unless some people see their faults, nothing will change (sadly). :shrug:

I completely agree with you on this.

Though I wish everyone could just be themselves, it'll never happen. Part of the community is too afraid they'll upset the staff members and bam... their chances of becoming one are ruined. Another part is just afraid of not fitting in, being popular, wants constant attention, or something to that degree. The final part is the minority and this part simply doesn't care. There's no drama, there's no lying, pretending to be someone else, or sucking up. Everyone in this part is being themselves at all times.

And while I'd also like everyone to keep "treat others how you'd like to be treated" in mind, I know that won't happen either. I also know that so many players in this community have so mental mental diagnoses, and perhaps that's actually why this community is toxic at times. There's a bunch of compulsive liars and attention seekers. I swear that half of the people that complain about their drama are secretly loving it because of the attention they're getting. It's a shame, but eh... unless some people see their faults, nothing will change. :shrug:
This is directed more towards the people whose intentions in changing they way they present themselves are to be malicious and cruel which negatively impacts other players, rather than to fit in. But yeah, I know people are so entertained by the drama on here. I know that my words are merely words, but who knows? Maybe this will click for someone. Maybe this will help someone.

Jasmine

This is directed more towards the people whose intentions in changing they way they present themselves are to be malicious and cruel which negatively impacts other players, rather than to fit in. But yeah, I know people are so entertained by the drama on here. I know that my words are merely words, but who knows? Maybe this will click for someone. Maybe this will help someone.
Yeah, I got that. The people I'm talking about do both of those things as well. And that's why I decided to post what I posted as well. Maybe someone will see what was said and they'll change their ways. Perhaps they don't even realize what they're doing? Who knows.

AlphaTheEdge

you da real MVP Em. But in all seriousness, way to step up. Not always easy to say how you feel! But i'm sure you're speaking to a lot of people. This truly is awesome:bounce:

Perhaps they don't even realize what they're doing? Who knows.
I sincerely hope that's the case.

You're perfect. Reading this I can think of people just going through my mind.
Let's take them down.
As much as I wish we can take 'em down, I'm just gonna sit back, and let them reap the consequences they have so aggressively sown.

you da real MVP Em. But in all seriousness, way to step up. Not always easy to say how you feel! But i'm sure you're speaking to a lot of people. This truly is awesome:bounce:
That means more than you know, thank you SO much.

sorry I've been a lacking irl friend. this is my promise to be better. <3 ilysm.

NO NO NO don't say that, it's not my encouragement to quit, it's my encouragement for people to take action! :(((
I'm positive it wasn't your intention to influence people away from the game. But let's be real. This game is a pair of shackles dragging me from my present self back to my past self. All the knowledge and life skills I've learned up to this point are doing me no good being locked up within me. They provide no use here. That was really dramatic but it's time to release the chains and move on, move up.

Sophia

I see what you mean and it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders so yay. But ya VMK can be addicting at times but just do it in moderation or play it on the side while you're doing something more important (example: doing homework, cleaning, on the treadmill, etc). I work full time and go to school so I play like 1 game of Cute or Boot or something else then log off. If it's hard, just keep a timer to remind yourself to log off. I use a timer because it's really helpful since playing VMK makes you lose track of time really fast. Also, as for the guys you mentioned, some are just creeps and I just laugh because they look REALLY pathetic trying to flirt with pixelated people because it just means they can't get any real girls irl. Also virtual wealth is just that, virtual. It can be gone in seconds and what would you have to show for it then? But ya there's no reason to quit, just play in moderation and don't take this game personal. Just remember the fine line between virtual and reality :)

P.S. Jake the Dog gives the best advice

Attachments

I see what you mean and it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders so yay. But ya VMK can be addicting at times but just do it in moderation or play it on the side while you're doing something more important (example: doing homework, cleaning, on the treadmill, etc). I work full time and go to school so I play like 1 game of Cute or Boot or something else then log off. If it's hard, just keep a timer to remind yourself to log off. I use a timer because it's really helpful since playing VMK makes you lose track of time really fast. Also, as for the guys you mentioned, some are just creeps and I just laugh because they look REALLY pathetic trying to flirt with pixelated people because it just means they can't get any real girls irl. Also virtual wealth is just that, virtual. It can be gone in seconds and what would you have to show for it then? But ya there's no reason to quit, just play in moderation and don't take this game personal. Just remember the fine line between virtual and reality :)

P.S. Jake the Dog gives the best advice
Love your input, and it's true. It's just that sometimes, this game feels so real and so personal. It's definitely about understanding that it's our actions in real life that define who we are, not how many firewalls we have on VMK. Thank you. <3