Welcome Back to MyVMK Forums!

Jasmine

Nope, as somebody who has spent a very considerable time hacking forums in the past I can assure you that 3.8.7 has no known/public exploits. It's a pretty solid build regardless of the fact that Jellsoft is no longer supporting it. They just need to pay close attention as to what plugins they install.
They just released a patch for all vB versions 3.5+ because of recently found exploit.

Point is, either way, it's EOL. In the long run, vB4 is going to be more secure. 3.8.8 is good and all, but it's still in beta right now. And I think it was only for PHP compatibility anyway? Never really paid too much attention to it to be honest. :p

I'm fine with vB3, but I don't believe it's going to be more secure than 4.x (and even terrible 5.x) would be. No way. We'll just have to see, I suppose.

Last edited:

Whispered

They just released a patch for all vB versions 3.5+ because of recently found exploit.

Point is, either way, it's EOL. In the long run, vB4 is going to be more secure. 3.8.8 is good and all, but it's still in beta right now. And I think it was only for PHP compatibility anyway? Never really paid too much attention to it to be honest. :p

I'm fine with vB3, but I don't believe it's going to be more secure than 4.x (and even terrible 5.x) would be. No way. We'll just have to see, I suppose.
You're completely right on this.

Honestly, vB in and of itself is just crappily coded.

It should take on more of a crowdsourced coding model like mediawiki! Then it may get patched faster, and have less exploits to begin with!