What Came First? The Chicken or The Egg?

The Chicken or The Egg?

• The Chicken

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • The Egg

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
This is a debate on evolution, so what do you believe came first? The chicken, or the egg?

the chicken because i believe in evolution. all a person needs to do to grasp it is look at their own immune system. tell me thats not it at its basest!

Whispered

In terms of evolutionary biology, the egg would have to come first.

Consider this: Say the direct ancestor of the chicken (the thing that gave birth to the first thing we'd call a chicken) was a pterodactyl (again, hypothetical, and i just like that word). When that thing laid the egg, the egg had the mutations to make it a chicken. The mutations happen before the egg, not at hatching - thus the only logical explanation is that the egg, technically, came before the first of whatever organism hatched from it :)

Consider this: Say the direct ancestor of the chicken (the thing that gave birth to the first thing we'd call a chicken) was a pterodactyl (again, hypothetical, and i just like that word). When that thing laid the egg, the egg had the mutations to make it a chicken. The mutations happen before the egg, not at hatching - thus the only logical explanation is that the egg, technically, came before the first of whatever organism hatched from it :)
More or less what I would have said.

The first chicken egg was a mutated proto-chicken egg laid by a proto-chicken. The egg came first.

allison

it's kind of confusing because if the egg came first, who laid it? And if the chicken came first, where did it hatch from? I think it would make more sense from an evolutionary standpoint to say the chicken came first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member

I'd have to agree with this, because a chicken can't just pop up out of nowhere, there had to be an ancestor of the chicken that laid an egg and that egg became the chicken.