Unknown email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Okay, now I just got an email from him, and I've never signed up for anything under that email address that's VMK related except for OVMK and MyVMK. (Not even the OVMK forums. I never signed up for that). What bugs me is that the email is from noreply@myvmk.com. I don't know what database of email addresses he's using, but if I'm on it, it's got to be the OVMK database.
Exactly. I'm surprised I haven't yet seen much more of a fuss about it.. I never gave him consent to have my email or send me emails.

Whip

I also got an email. I'm assuming he is mass sending his collection of addresses from OVMK (possibly VMKU and Uvora as well?).

Although Oatman is not part of MyVMK staff and has no connection with us, he wanted to promote the game and send the word out to former VMK members about MyVMK. He used a database from another website he was part of and sent emails out to those addresses. The email is safe, however, we have no connection to it.
While I'm sure this email had good intentions, I'm annoyed by the fact that he chose to send it with @myvmk.com From address. I don't think staff members should encourage members doing this.

Edit: I just noticed in the original post, the email is from @uvora.com and the content is slightly different than the email that I received, which uses an @myvmk.com From and Return-Path address.

I woke up to find an Email from him as well. The one I received was signed from "Oatman". I am actually not comfortable with this. He had to get the Email address from the OVMK forums if the Email was not associated with anyone here. The Email address I received the message on is newer. I know they brought him in at the end of OVMK. Good intentions or not, I don' feel real comfortable with this, considering his past and reputation. The Email sender is MyVMK and the Email reads as if he is part of things here. Not cool in my book.

Jasmine

I just got one from him with the noreply@myvmk.com email address. I don't really care though.

He's added in a disclaimer at the end of the email:
"PS: I am not affilated with MyVMK, I am simply a fan that is trying to bring to light how amazing this new game is! Also some of you may be receiving these emails multiple times, I do aplogize about that. Hopefully if you've received multiple emails, you'll never get another one, however if you do emails will stop Monday evening.
Cheers!"

aliceblue

Don't worry, it's nothing malicious.

Although Oatman is not part of MyVMK staff and has no connection with us, he wanted to promote the game and send the word out to former VMK members about MyVMK. He used a database from another website he was part of and sent emails out to those addresses. The email is safe, however, we have no connection to it.
We need to know what website he got these from. The only one I signed up for before MyVMK was OVMK.

Emelon

Just checked my email and I have one too. Although it is kind of weird and it does make me somewhat uncomfortable that he has my email address on a list somewhere, I don't think many of you actually knew Jared, you just knew stories about him. He could be rude sometimes, but I always enjoyed his company and I thought he was a pleasant person (in his own way). From what I was told by a friend of his, Jared left the OVMK team once he realized what Grace was trying to do. He wasn't a 'dirt bag' or a 'dirty traitor' or any of those things. He wanted to help bring the game back (after two failed attempts of his own) and it backfired.

Also, my brother and sister have received the emails too and they never signed up to OVMK or any other VMK remake site. They have only signed up on the MyVMK site. So is he getting our email accounts from here..?

aliceblue

While I'm sure this email had good intentions, I'm annoyed by the fact that he chose to send it with @myvmk.com From address. I don't think staff members should encourage members doing this.
Good intentions or not, I don' feel real comfortable with this, considering his past and reputation. The Email sender is MyVMK and the Email reads as if he is part of things here. Not cool in my book.
Exactly. By using that address, he is falsely representing himself as being associated with this website and this game, disclaimer or no disclaimer.

He has databases from 3 things i think, i only heard of two:

OVMK Forums
VMKU Forums

So if you were signed up there, you may have gotten this email.

We still do not endorse the emails in any way or form, and of course i am not taking kindly to the masking of our email address (noreply@myvmk.com)

This however has helped with a increase influx of players we have noticed, so if you do see some, say hi and greet them! :)

aliceblue

He has databases from 3 things i think, i only heard of two:

OVMK Forums
VMKU Forums

So if you were signed up there, you may have gotten this email.

We still do not endorse the emails in any way or form, and of course i am not taking kindly to the masking of our email address (noreply@myvmk.com)

This however has helped with a increase influx of players we have noticed, so if you do see some, say hi and greet them! :)
Did he have permission to use those databases, or did he basically hack them?

neverlander

I got that email too lol

Did he have permission to use those databases, or did he basically hack them?
He has access to the old databases of the OVMK forums as he was a previous staff member there before the collapse. ( if you go to that forum with a admin account, you can still access the backend, as it was never taken down properly.)

aliceblue

He has access to the old databases of the OVMK forums as he was a previous staff member there before the collapse. ( if you go to that forum with a admin account, you can still access the backend, as it was never taken down properly.)
Thank you for clarifying this. Just wanted to know whose security practices to blame. ;)

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
Kevin and Grizzly,

I was never signed up as my real self (or primary email) on either OVMK nor here, due to a stalker. I never knew of his sites you have mentioned.

I do use my real email on websites and the original VMK. So, where is his third site????

While I am happy you are happy to have new players showing up, I don't think you fully grasp the severity of a privacy breech this really is. Sad thing is, since he did not get the list from here (at least not mine) I fully expect you will not discipline him.
:thumbsdown:

Whispered

It's fairly trivial to spoof the headers. From one I got, here's some information that wasn't spoofed:

Received: from chaos.uvora.com (chaos.uvora.com. [174.129.33.26])
List-Help: <http://jaredjones.co/lists/?p=preferences&uid=c13007cd129dede8801adf0b36d45200>

I assume he's running these lists off of a mail program on his server. There's an unsubscribe link in the header of mine. It says the directory /lists/ is not on his website.

Not sure what else to say other than if enough people click "spam" in any given mail program it'll either block the IP or the address (meaning that MyVMK shouldn't use noreply anymore, it may become blocked if people push spam).

-Whispered

----

Addition: To those of you complaining about privacy - when you put something on the internet you shouldn't really have any expectation of privacy. Take this as a learning experience to use separate emails for work/school/play/etc.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Kevin and Grizzly,

I was never signed up as my real self (or primary email) on either OVMK nor here, due to a stalker. I never knew of his sites you have mentioned.

I do use my real email on websites and the original VMK. So, where is his third site????

While I am happy you are happy to have new players showing up, I don't think you fully grasp the severity of a privacy breech this really is. Sad thing is, since he did not get the list from here (at least not mine) I fully expect you will not discipline him.
:thumbsdown:
I concur. There are apparently people that got the emails, that had no idea OVMK or MyVMK even existed. Let alone VMKU, or Uvora. I fear a security breech, but there's no real way to prove one occurred without knowing (meaning, no speculation) where the emails came from.

vause

Yeah there's a good chance he jacked some of the emails from the forums.
I was able to still get in under my admin account for a bit after the closure (even though I quit beforehand) until I went in and de-admined myself.

Still don't know why he's using the @myvmk though...

Status
Not open for further replies.