2013 company of the year: Walt Disney

kalyee

Because a lot of their online games were older/not making as much money as their newer ventures/not making as much money as they'd like. Disney is a great company, but Disney is also a company, and a tad greedy at that, so their main focus is allowing the products making the most money to thrive, and knocking off those that don't - the argument as to why they shut down Toontown is mainly that they were moving on to pour more focus into Club Penguin, which was doing arguably better than Toontown, so to speak, and developing apps, as initially stated on their home page before revised.

Great, now since you have so much money how come you get rid of all you online games? I mean I love Disney and I'm happy that their doing so well, but this just doesn't make any sense.
Their online/gaming division bleeds money. Has been for 15+ years.

Almost all of their profit is thanks to ESPN and Marvel. The stock is floated on ESPN, Marvel, Pixar, and LucasFilm.

Fiyero

Agreeing with kalyee here. Disney is still a business. Because of them being a public company, they are run by people who have investment. Making money is how you make the investors happy. When the games start to become less profitable then they should be, they are cut.

Even if Walt was still around guiding the company, he would have to listen to the public. That's one of the things about having stock. Stockholder interest will always win out

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Agreeing with kalyee here. Disney is still a business. Because of them being a public company, they are run by people who have investment. Making money is how you make the investors happy. When the games start to become less profitable then they should be, they are cut.
Except they would make money if they actually made good games. Disney has produced exactly three blockbuster games in the last decade.

philitup

The Internet Champion!

Even if Walt was still around guiding the company, he would have to listen to the public. That's one of the things about having stock. Stockholder interest will always win out

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
Because a lot of their online games were older/not making as much money as their newer ventures/not making as much money as they'd like. Disney is a great company, but Disney is also a company, and a tad greedy at that, so their main focus is allowing the products making the most money to thrive, and knocking off those that don't - the argument as to why they shut down Toontown is mainly that they were moving on to pour more focus into Club Penguin, which was doing arguably better than Toontown, so to speak, and developing apps, as initially stated on their home page before revised.
My point is that it's not like their making any new games. I haven't heard one thing about that. And raise your hand if you want to play Where's my water... Again...

Fiyero

My point is that it's not like their making any new games. I haven't heard one thing about that. And raise your hand if you want to play Where's my water... Again...
Games just don't pop out of thin air. They can take a while to develop and produce. They only made the announcement like 3 months ago. Give it some time

philitup

The Internet Champion!
Games just don't pop out of thin air. They can take a while to develop and produce. They only made the announcement like 3 months ago. Give it some time
All I'm saying is that the way they go about it is they are going to zone in on making apps and CP. At least when they closed VMK they sonded like they were going to work on more games, which they did.