About "The Giver"...

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
So this morning my mother told me something that caught me a bit off guard on our car ride this morning to have photos printed.

She told me she's seen the recent trailer for the upcoming film based on the book called "The Giver".

If you haven't seen the trailer yet, you can watch it here.

She was intrigued by the trailer, and it turned out my sister watched over her shoulder and explained to my mother that the board of education made it mandatory that that book be a part of the curriculum this year. She's in 8th grade. I know a lot can change in the education system in 2 years, but I've only been out of High School 2 years and "The Giver" was a mandatory part of our Senior year curriculum.

When I was in High School our English Classes varied. You were either on a path towards a class that read The Lord of the Flies and The Giver, or you were in a class that read Slaughterhouse Five and A Brave New World. I was in the latter class, so I never read The Giver or Lord of the Flies. So I had no idea what "The Giver" was about until my younger sister explained it to me.

Now keep in mind, this is a book classified as a "children's" book. So I'll give those that haven't read it a shorten version of the synopsis of the book.

It's a story about a young boy of 11 named Jonas, and his journey of being chosen as the "receiver" of memories from a man called "The Giver" - where you receive all the knowledge of "The Community's" past and everyone of the world that the "Community" doesn't get to experience. The "Community" is run entirely by a group called "The Elders". You are essentially entirely the same as everyone else. The Elders tell you who to marry, who will be your child, what job you will have, and your home has a 2 way intercom for the Elders to listen in on your life so they make sure you're following the rules. There is no love or basic emotion, there is no music or color.

Now the most striking part of the book is what makes me question why it's a "children's" book. They practice something called "releasing", where babies that aren't adopted, or twins that turn out smaller or weaker than the other are given lethal injection and "dispatched like garbage". You aren't allowed to have twins in the community because it goes against the policy of "sameness" enforced by the Elders.

This outraged my mother to hear this, and surprisingly it had me taken aback. But the fact that this was mandated for 8th graders in a Middle School is what surprised us most. I wasn't required to read those kinds of books until I was a Senior in High School, and now they're being required for 13-14 yr old's to read.

What is your take on this? Do you think it's good for children in Middle School to be forced to read what is considered by most mature literature not suitable for children? Or are you also taken aback by this being forced on 8th graders to read? If you had/have a child in middle school, would be permit them to read this sort of material?

I'm interested in your thoughts, so please post below.

QueenB

I remember reading it in middle school, (I can't remember what grade, but middle school for me was 6th-8th) so I personally think it is an okay required book for 8th graders. I didn't enjoy the book very much at all, but it is something that will really make you think.

Jasmine

We read it in fourth grade. Booooooring.
Yeah, same here. We read it in gifted class around 4th or 5th grade. I actually loved it. It's a great book, and there are lessons that can be learned from it at any age, so I don't see a problem with kids reading it.

kalyee

I read it a lot earlier than middle school. I'm glad books with "racier" or more thought provoking topics are being given to younger children. Perhaps if the curriculum in public schools becomes one that encourages deep thought, and doesn't hide things from it's students to keep a shroud of innocence - which is just nonsense, look at most middle school kids - society won't be overflowing with ignorant, incredibly naive brats who can't form a thought on their own about important topics unless the media tells them what to think.
I feel we should encourage free thinking, allow kids to expand their knowledge instead of hiding things - literature included - from them - as they'll find it anyway - and teach them with a curriculum that actually informs and develops, not just teaches memorization and copy and paste.

The Giver wasn't that "out there" as far as content goes, and I'd have no problem giving it to a child to read. It takes a more mature individual at that age to fully understand it, perhaps, but I see no issue in giving them the chance. It encourages a deeper level of learning.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I read it a lot earlier than middle school. I'm glad books with "racier" or more thought provoking topics are being given to younger children. Perhaps if the curriculum in public schools becomes one that encourages deep thought, and doesn't hide things from it's students to keep a shroud of innocence - which is just nonsense, look at most middle school kids - society won't be overflowing with ignorant, incredibly naive brats who can't form a thought on their own about important topics unless the media tells them what to think.
I feel we should encourage free thinking, allow kids to expand their knowledge instead of hiding things - literature included - from them - as they'll find it anyway - and teach them with a curriculum that actually informs and develops, not just teaches memorization and copy and paste.

The Giver wasn't that "out there" as far as content goes, and I'd have no problem giving it to a child to read. It takes a more mature individual at that age to fully understand it, perhaps, but I see no issue in giving them the chance. It encourages a deeper level of learning.
I can agree with that. I think what was most striking about it was the practice of "releasing" that made her so upset.

I just spoke to my sisters about it and they're completely unphased by it and it probably didn't even leave in impression on them because they're too young and... how do I put this... I'll say slightly under-developed that others and they can barely remember the plot of the book let alone details. Perhaps she's overreacting about this, but I think personally I'd rather give that book and books like it to kids in higher levels of high school so they can fully understand the details of it.

kalyee

I can agree with that. I think what was most striking about it was the practice of "releasing" that made her so upset.

I just spoke to my sisters about it and they're completely unphased by it and it probably didn't even leave in impression on them because they're too young and... how do I put this... I'll say slightly under-developed that others and they can barely remember the plot of the book let alone details. Perhaps she's overreacting about this, but I think personally I'd rather give that book and books like it to kids in higher levels of high school so they can fully understand the details of it.

I wasn't really phased by the releasing aspects of the book either, so to speak, so perhaps it's just a personal thing. I know some of the mildest books can trigger some for whatever reasons, so it's not uncommon.
I think The Giver is a really good selection for younger students because it's an easy read, and the length isn't too much, so you can have a book that evokes deep thoughts and discussions without the majority losing interest due to the length or difficulty. Books like 1984, which was a requirement at my old high school for Juniors wouldn't be nearly as fitting for middle school aged students, for example.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I read it in 7th grade at a public school in Los Angeles County. Nobody in my class was phased, and it is now my favorite book I have ever read. It is a reasonable enough length for children to become interested in. While the subject matter can be risque and violent, it's 2014, and kids can get their fix from GTA5.

I read it in seventh grade, for the record.

I love this post.

That is all.

Releasing is disturbing, but welcome to literature.

Disturbing things in stories told to children is not a new trend. In fact, I think this is the way it's been for thousands of years. The last few decades are part of the exception; not the rule. Take a look at Greek myth or some fairy tales (the original versions; not the Disney ones). Kids would hear this stuff. Hercules doesn't do his labors out of the goodness of his own heart; he does them as punishment for slaughtering his wife and children in a fit of rage. Ariel doesn't have a happy ending with Prince Eric; she turns into a pile of sea foam. This is the nature of literature.

Last edited:
I read this last year! It was a really excellent book. I think the book shouldn't be considered a "children's book" because it is nothing like a children's book. I think it should be considered a book for teenagers and adults. I was 13 when I read it, and it wasn't really a bad book to me. If you aren't mature enough to understand the content and aren't able to see the true meaning of the book, then you shouldn't read it. But I fully understood it, and I loved it.

I love The Giver. It's been one of my favorite books since I first read it in the 4th or 5th grade. It wasn't a school requirement for me, I don't remember why I decided to pick it up. But honestly, it's a great book for someone young and not familiar with the dystopian novels that we have a ton of today. I genuinely thought being "released" meant being moved into another society or something. I remember my shock and horror when I found out the truth, shock that, to be honest, encourages me to fight for the right to life today.

I've always been mature for my age, so I may not recommend it for all nine year olds. But I think it is good for kids to read it.

Cat

I read and analyzed the book in my 6th grade 'advanced placement' english class, so it doesn't seem too shocking that she's reading it in her 8th grade class. There are many books that are required for kids to read that are set at a higher reading level, I think it just pushes kids to do better and prepares them for high school/ college.
When I read it, I personally loved the darker elements to it. The genera of the book is called dystopia, and it's now my favorite genera of book ever. The Hunger Games can be classified as Hunger Games, and death is way more of a prominent element in it than it is in The Giver, and I'm sure that most 8th graders have read and/or watched the books.

The Giver can be considered a children's book if you don't read into it a lot (which is totally not the purpose of reading, you shouldn't read to just read without thinking about the deeper meanings). The Giver is only dark and twisted if you understand what's going on behind the curtains of the society they live in. On the outside, it's just an innocent story about a boy who is different. Many books are titled as children's books, but carry much heavier meanings... For goodness sakes, Harry Potter was all about a boy who's parents were MURDERED by a DARK LORD and I have to go to the children's section of the book store to pick up a copy. But, like The Giver, Harry Potter is one of those books that can be enjoyed by a wide variety of ages.
I'm happy that she's getting to read the book, I think every kid should have to read at least one of Lois Lowry's works.

Whispered

The Giver is truly one of the literary works of our time period for the very young audience. Lois Lowry is truly a genius, in the way the book is easy to read but still thought provoking - that's the point of it after all.

And it truly does provoke thought, especially in 4-8th graders. They're just starting to learn about the government - and history doesn't really teach other forms of government, their strengths, weaknesses until 10th grade and onward - and even then sometimes only in AP classes. The fact young children are being taught through a compelling and interesting book that other forms of government exist, as well as other societies..

I'm probably looking into it too much though :P

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
i read it in seventh grade. i didn't like it at the time, but i reread it in high school on my own time and found it better the second time around

Otters

I haven't read The Giver, we haven't been required to read that book at all in any class here. But I
am reading Brave New World right now for a project and I feel like that could be iffy for younger
readers..... idk I'm not very far into it yet.