Dating in the Workplace [Updated with a specific scenario]

Is it okay to date in the workplace?

• Yes, always

• Only if it is a volunteer position.

• Only if it is a paid position.

• No, never

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is it okay to date somebody that you work with? Does it matter if it is a volunteer position? Do the workers need to be in the same authority position (i.e. the manager may not date an employee)?

***Edit*** Here is a specific situation I'd like you to vote on:

There is a Manager of a non-profit project. This person has two Assistant Managers, and a number of labor workers to do hands on activities and other workers to oversee the project. Customers come and enjoy the project that this group of individuals is putting on. Now, since it is very difficult to get a job in this organization because you need to be in with the group of friends, there are a series of relationships that have formed between the workers. For example, the manager is dating a labor worker, two labor workers are dating each other, an overseer is dating a labor worker, and two overseers are dating each other. As you can see, every department is tied together and within itself by these relationships. These are volunteer positions, nobody is paid.

A highly qualified individual applies for a job with this company. A love interest of one of the assistant managers is brought on the team even though they have no idea what they are doing. The qualified individual is rejected.

Is dating okay in this workplace? Why or Why not?
(taken from a later bump-in the OP for quick reference)

Please debate, but please keep it child friendly and appropriate at all times!

Last edited:

Bindingkey

I think it depends on certain factors. If it's obviously a professional environment, especially one that requires a lot of communication between employees, then there's running the risk of things being sour (favoritism or, in the case of a break up, a lot of arguing and miscommunication). Volunteer positions, I don't see could be harmful. If you're working voluntarily without pay it wouldn't be problematic. But like to emphasize this point - getting into any relationship has risks and no matter what job you have if you both work in the same place there's gonna be some type of workplace conflict (especially if it ends badly). The only real issue imo is if it's a employee-dating-boss thing. There are a plethora of issues why it can be unprofessional, complicated, and manipulative.

it depends. In the military we have some laws that prevent some things especially among our ranks as it can encourage favoritism and may create a work environment where others may not feel comfortable. Its always best to avoid situations like theses simply because you may prohibit your own career advancement hence favoritism if you were to break up and also cause conflict and effect your work performance. it also depends on the type of jobs you guys are in and etc. use your own best judgement and if you have to still question a relationship then its best not to get involved or take extra precautions. Even in volunteer positions could be looked at favoritism as it can land you an actual position or a contract. :2cents:

Bumping this.

In addition to my original question, consider this scenario.

There is a Manager of a non-profit project. This person has two Assistant Managers, and a number of labor workers to do hands on activities and other workers to oversee the project. Customers come and enjoy the project that this group of individuals is putting on. Now, since it is very difficult to get a job in this organization because you need to be in with the group of friends, there are a series of relationships that have formed between the workers. For example, the manager is dating a labor worker, two labor workers are dating each other, an overseer is dating a labor worker, and two overseers are dating each other. As you can see, every department is tied together and within itself by these relationships. These are volunteer positions, nobody is paid.

A highly qualified individual applies for a job with this company. A love interest of one of the assistant managers is brought on the team even though they have no idea what they are doing. The qualified individual is rejected.

Is dating okay in this workplace?

i think its totally okay to date in the work place. like youthere said, as long as it isnt just because of an advantage or like certain benefits.

this situation might be a little different, but i've been attending a sleep away summer church camp for the past 12-13 years or so and this past summer was my first year staff. the camp has been around since 1977 and every year there are so many relationships that happen, we hear it from our parents, and other adults, and so many of my camp friends parents met at camp, the priests met their wives at camp, etc, whether it be on staff or amongst campers, including myself this summer (granted my boyfriend lives in my town, we go to the same church, and we've known basically since birth, we've had a thing for a while and it was bound to happen). we hear so many stories throughout our diocese and so many of these relationships have turned into marriages and therefore i do think its okay. i mean its not like we work together everyday, but they do spend a majority of the summer together working at camp and then seeing each other a few times throughout the year at events around the diocese or just getting together in general to spend time together. its just something about the environment i guess and just how comfortable everyone gets together. like this past summer we had 8 relationships amongst the staff ( new & old ).