Fanfictions Becoming Films

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
Recently a Fanfiction called After has been proposed to be made in to a film. This story revolves around Harry Styles and Indiana Evans and is majorly explicit. Harry is perceived as a tool and abusive, which is totally opposite of his actual personality, it would damage his rep, even if someone is casted to play him and the name is changed, the story is written about him. I heavily disagree with fanfictions becoming films, but 50 Shades of Grey has. This story is widely known on wattpad with three books, and has over a 100 million reads. What do you think? Should a Fanfiction become a film or just remain on a website?

http://www.wattpad.com/story/5095707-after

Last edited:

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
To be honest, it wasn't until after I had read the 50 Shades Trilogy that I found out it was a fanfiction first based on Bella Swan and Edward Cullen from the Twilight Saga.

The difference is, the 50 Shades Trilogy was redone and published as a book series, so it no longer fell under the category of fanfiction and it was an entirely new story almost. In my personal opinion it was an amazing story, and I'm excited to see the movie.

I don't believe fanfiction's themselves as they're written should be (or even could be) made in to movies because they're based on copyrighted material and characters. The author would have to obtain the copyrights to the characters, settings, themes, and materials featured in the story before even being able to publish for profit, or even produce a feature length film for profit. If they didn't want to obtain the copyright (which can be a messy business, seeing as most artists don't care to give up the copyrights to their work), they would have to rewrite the story and change the components that correlate with the basis of their story.

I don't have a problem with fanfiction's eventually becoming films because when they do they aren't even fanfiction's anymore, they're entirely different stories.

BuddyByte

Legendary Hero
I actually read a little bit of After, and I really don't understand why anyone would want to make a film out of it. The story keeps repeating itself, there's not a complex plot, and it's actually poorly written to me. It really does give Harry a bad name, though... I don't think that fan fiction should be any more than just a fun story. Don't you think it would make not only the band uncomfortable, but also the fans?

If a director thinks he can make good money off of a story fan fiction, i say let him. And let his lawyers figure out dealing with the copyright issues.

Indiana Jones is basically classic adventure fan fiction, Star Wars was basically Buck Rogers fan fiction. I don't see why people are going off on it. Just because it wasn't written by a writers guild dude doesn't make it bad.

I don't think fanfiction should be made into movies.
There are some that are very well written, but since the stories are based off things that don't belong to the author I think there would be legal issues.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
Well theres pros and cons to it. Not many people will enjoy watching these "fanfic-movies" and some people will. It's cool how some peoples ideas are coming to life though..

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
I've actually been meaning to read that, lol.
But who would play Harry's character? I doubt he would do it.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
I heard Harry wants to get into acting. LOL I don't care should be entertaining. I say if the fanfiction is good enough, why not?
The thing is, his character in the story is portrayed as a tool and very abusive. With what the media is saying about him now it would only damage his rep more. And it's not a good plot line tbh, it recurres the same things over and over again but with added graphic explicit content like sex, and it's written terribly, smh. :no:

The thing is, his character in the story is portrayed as a tool and very abusive. With what the media is saying about him now it would only damage his rep more. And it's not a good plot line tbh, it recurres the same things over and over again but with added graphic explicit content like sex, and it's written terribly, smh. :no:
lol i doubt it'll happen and atleast it's not dark my friend sent me that one and yooww. that was ... i have no comment