gif spoiler..rule?

Quicksilver

Moderator Maximoff
The way the rules are now, you're allowed GIFs in your signature, which completely contradicts and cancels out your explanation every time. I feel as if you aren't listening to our concerns, but instead, jumping to conclusions and giving us a form response.
We do not enforce this rule for signatures because there is an option to deactivate seeing signatures in your account settings.

Jasmine

Let me put it this way, would we disregard that elderly man standing in the middle of the bus and not give him our seat, because we want to sit and would not care if that elderly man fell down?
Shouldn't everyone be welcome to enjoy the magic that is VMK? Isn't it our duty as civil human beings to be considerate of others and to try out best in being inclusive? It's a small price to pay to put GIF's in spoiler tags (easy as typing a few letters) than to potentially harm someone with a disability.

You know the rule, you've read the rules, this thread is gaining views. You all know to put GIF's in spoiler tags, therefore do it and there will be no infractions. Even then, we warn before we give infractions and warnings have 0 point values to them. So if we warn you, just be extra cautious.

The game section of the forums is just a small concentrated area where regular people can post GIF's unspoilerized to their hearts content, yet people who may be sensitive to fast moving pictures would know not to venture into that area. Would you rather we make the rule mandatory for all areas of the forums?
Again though, you also have to admit that very few people (since only about 3% of epileptics have PSE) are having this issue. Also, it only makes sense for people to wonder about the rule since we're not talking about excessively fast ones or anything, just regular ones - because seeing one is about equivalent to seeing a youtube video.

I don't even use gifs, but I do agree with the others that the rule doesn't make much sense.

edit:
Also, in your other post, I noticed you referred to epilepsy as a spectrum. It is very, very rarely called that; "spectrum" as in autism spectrum is a lot different than what you were saying as a comparison. So your explanation of "accommodating all epileptics" didn't make much sense to me, hence the post informing you that only those with PSE (which is most common in children and adolescents) are sensitive to these triggers. It just seems like this rule was made by those who are uninformed about how epilepsy actually is (and I don't mean that in an offensive way, that's just how it seems). The fact is that Oreo is correct - PSE is serious and again, it is a legitimate question to wonder why a) there's no disclaimer for the game if you all are aware that there are players with PSE and b) why those with PSE would be playing the game (since you're saying that they're being triggered by regular gifs, then their PSE must be pretty bad).

That's kind of hurtful to accuse us of turning a blind eye to those with epilepsy just because we're not understanding your explanation.

The way the rules are now, you're allowed GIFs in your signature, which completely contradicts and cancels out your explanation every time. I feel as if you aren't listening to our concerns, but instead, jumping to conclusions and giving us a form response.
Yes, exactly.

Last edited:
C

Christa

That's kind of hurtful to accuse us of turning a blind eye to those with epilepsy just because we're not understanding your explanation.

This is what I've been trying to get across. but instead it's just a "we'll change the rules to punish you" response.

No one is against people with epilepsy. Where did the old man come in. Why do I exist

Nnilak

So how does putting them in spoilers make it better? There's nothing that says "WARNING. Spoiler may contain gif"
If gifs were actually giving people problems then putting them in a spoiler is only giving these people one extra second (or however long it takes to click) before having a seizure.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I just think the whole thing is kind of hypocritical. Even when the rule was implemented, there really as no reason until someone threw out "epilepsy" and then the staff just stuck by that. It was pretty much initially only put into place because 3 people decided to complain just to get back at certain members. The fact that the staff only care about them in posts, and as Nnilak said, there's no disclaimer...AND there's no disclaimer for the actual game itself is very, very hypocritical. I feel as if they don't want to change the rule and are just sticking by this "We kind of care" excuse.

So how does putting them in spoilers make it better? There's nothing that says "WARNING. Spoiler may contain gif"
If gifs were actually giving people problems then putting them in a spoiler is only giving these people one extra second (or however long it takes to click) before having a seizure.
Exactly.

Pacific

Here's how I see it:

1. It's a Rule

When you agree to the terms and conditions when making an account, you agree to following the rules of the community. Just because the rule may not apply to you, doesn't mean it's not there for a reason. Although you may not have PSE, that doesn't mean the administrative team can't do what they can to accommodate those who do. It a bummer when a rule brings on a small inconvenience, but the moderation team must continue to be unbiased and supportive towards the community they serve.

2. Speed

It's a simple concept, GIFs require a bit more bandwidth to load. I enjoy a faster forum system in which I'm not waiting for a GIF to load. On mobile, trust me, it's horrible sometimes - and the data ... blasphemous.

3. In regards to the warning in game ...

Oreo, I understand your concerns with there not being a warning/disclaimer for the game, and how it could be hypocritical. As was already stated earlier, a user who has PSE will knowingly steer clear of areas in which they know they can be triggered - such as the exampled gaming forum. A user will know to stay away from the client because they know they can be triggered, as with any game. They know that. On the other hand, a user with PSE would not already assume that a forum for a game they want to play may also contain triggers such as preloaded/unspoiled GIFs. To accommodate for that, the administrative team has done what they can to protect users like that.

Kind of caring is better than not caring at all, at least.

Goofyono

Select people tried to bring up the "seizure" argument but people who actually had seizures or family members that had seizures replied and said that none of the GIFs really triggered attacks so...
Adding on to this..
Apparently it is a trigger for those who get migraines as well. I have a chronic migraine condition and video games have never been a trigger. If a person were that sensitive to a migraine or seizure than I can tell you right now that they wouldn't be playing myvmk *cough*fireworks*. I think it's just a person who went power hungry and made up silly rules and attached reasons to justify them. :reading:
I never agreed with the rules though. Did you know it's against the rules to quote the myvmk rules in a post as this falls under backseat moderating... But I digress.

I don't really know the original reason as to why GIFs need to be spoilerized (new word invention right there). I joined the forum team after this rule was implemented, I believe; so all any of us really know are what a few people claim the reasons are. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter why we have the rule, we just do. We have lots of laws and rules in society that just plain shouldn't have to be there as they are common sense (apparently we need laws to tell us not to shoot each other), but we still have them in place.

That being said, I'll say this: I personally do not like looking at random GIFs. When I go to a thread to read something, or look for a trade, or respond to a question, I don't want to see some flashing, changing, Miley Cyrus, Spongebob, delicious food, cute puppies, adorable kittens...you get the idea. I just want to see the text, and if I want to see the possibly cute GIF, I'll click the spoiler tag and take my chances. Maybe this rule will change in the future (like rules often do) but for now we'll most likely keep it.

Perhaps this rule started out being in place for those with epilepsy, but now I like to think it's in place to help keep the forums clean and nice looking.

:pluto:

Pacific

I don't really know the original reason as to why GIFs need to be spoilerized (new word invention right there). I joined the forum team after this rule was implemented, I believe; so all any of us really know are what a few people claim the reasons are. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter why we have the rule, we just do. We have lots of laws and rules in society that just plain shouldn't have to be there as they are common sense (apparently we need laws to tell us not to shoot each other), but we still have them in place.

That being said, I'll say this: I personally do not like looking at random GIFs. When I go to a thread to read something, or look for a trade, or respond to a question, I don't want to see some flashing, changing, Miley Cyrus, Spongebob, delicious food, cute puppies, adorable kittens...you get the idea. I just want to see the text, and if I want to see the possibly cute GIF, I'll click the spoiler tag and take my chances. Maybe this rule will change in the future (like rules often do) but for now we'll most likely keep it.

Perhaps this rule started out being in place for those with epilepsy, but now I like to think it's in place to help keep the forums clean and nice looking.

:pluto:
A great point that I was unable to translate from my thoughts into words, so kudos to you, Captain!

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
Quite frankly, it doesn't matter why we have the rule, we just do. We have lots of laws and rules in society that just plain shouldn't have to be there as they are common sense (apparently we need laws to tell us not to shoot each other), but we still have them in place.
"We just do" isn't really a reason...nor is spoilerizing GIFs considered "common sense."

On the flip side, some of us do though! I don't think rules should be implemented based on personal preference. I think they should be added based on logic and the member's opinions if it's an optional rule (as opposed to say, the harassment or spamming rules which are mandatory.) Additionally, I think it's often dramatized how often GIFs are present...everybody acts as if they're in EVERY comment on EVERY thread like they're some kind of inescapable flu. They just aren't really that present enough to justify having this rule because they're cluttering up threads.

Thank you for at least responding. I sincerely appreciate and respect your response (and patience). Ultimately, it's really just not that big of a deal. :pig:

That being said, I'll say this: I personally do not like looking at random GIFs. When I go to a thread to read something, or look for a trade, or respond to a question, I don't want to see some flashing, changing, Miley Cyrus, Spongebob, delicious food, cute puppies, adorable kittens...you get the idea. I just want to see the text, and if I want to see the possibly cute GIF, I'll click the spoiler tag and take my chances.
That is how I feel too, just give me the text. In response to another poster - I can play MyVMK just fine. However after a couple of firework games I can get a headache but I am fine with HM. Maybe it is the dark background with the smaller lights, idk why.

As a side topic (and I am not trying to be funny here) what exactly is so special about gifs that you have to post this? I know the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" but I have never understood why people seem to have to use gifs when responding in a post. Is it a trendy, youth or USA thing or what? Just curious as to why this subject is bringing up such strong emotions in some people :shrug:

C

Christa

That is how I feel too, just give me the text. In response to another poster - I can play MyVMK just fine. However after a couple of firework games I can get a headache but I am fine with HM. Maybe it is the dark background with the smaller lights, idk why.

As a side topic (and I am not trying to be funny here) what exactly is so special about gifs that you have to post this? I know the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" but I have never understood why people seem to have to use gifs when responding in a post. Is it a trendy, youth or USA thing or what? Just curious as to why this subject is bringing up such strong emotions in some people :shrug:
Spoiler removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Official_Riku

Wanna-Be Well-Known Player
It's just a trendy thing for younger people. I'm in high school and I just did a presentation today loaded with tons of gifs. It's just fun, when you get a funny one,
you just kind of have to share it with someone somehow :3

My two cents: It's a rule, respect it until its changed. If there's a ToS (terms of service) and you signed it (clicked the box without reading the ToS), you respect it or you are *to quote the genie*: OUT OF HERE.

Also; my third cent:

C

Christa

My two cents: It's a rule, respect it until its changed. If there's a ToS (terms of service) and you signed it (clicked the box without reading the ToS), you respect it or you are *to quote the genie*: OUT OF HERE.

Also; my third cent:
was this relevant because to me you're just telling me things i already know and you're being super rude
this is the forum feedback forum
this is my feedback
this is not the "someone telling me that it's the rules so i need to stop having an opinion" forum

@Christa After writing a long response in reply to your reply, I've decided not to even publicly start/continue/finish a forum war. If you really wanna continue, PM me.
I suggest the same when it comes to talking to [a] mod(s).

C

Christa

@Christa After writing a long response in reply to your reply, I've decided not to even publicly start/continue/finish a forum war. If you really wanna continue, PM me.
I suggest the same when it comes to talking to [a] mod(s).
There is no drama...you could've simply not replied haha but okay thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care if there is a spoiler or not, but I have to say if data was a concern on a mobile phone, that person should not be on the forums anyway. When I have to start conserving my data, I don't think oh, let me go on the forums I sure hope that there isn't a bunch of gifs there. Instead I think that I better not access any websites unless I have wifi.

I don't really care if there is a spoiler or not, but I have to say if data was a concern on a mobile phone, that person should not be on the forums anyway. When I have to start conserving my data, I don't think oh, let me go on the forums I sure hope that there isn't a bunch of gifs there. Instead I think that I better not access any websites unless I have wifi.
It's not the data, it's the loading times due to the moving images.