Help for dealing with Anxiety and Panic Attacks?

SpriteFabio

So earlier tonight I was at a local amusement park with my friend, her grandfather, and her little brother. They all live together because of some complications with her parents, And while I adore her; She really knows how to overwork and stress her grandfather out.

She and I had just left a concert the park had thrown (Debby Ryan was performing, she's absolutely amazing live btw) and it was around 9 when we got out of the stage area. We met up with her Grandfather and little brother as they were riding rides while we were there. It was late and we kind of wanted to go on a ride since we were in line all day, but her GF wanted to go home soon. He said we could stay for another hour however.

Long story short after following her to each end of the park twice looking for a ride, She and GF were getting worked up because she still wanted to go on a ride and he was getting really tired and irritated. We eventually ended up at a Chik-Fil-A booth and I had gotten to the point where I was starting to get really stressed out from being in the middle of it all. I started getting really light headed, my jaw and teeth started to tingle, and my breathing got really heavy. I've had (what I consider) minor panic attacks before, but this was the most intense, painful one I've had yet. I needed to sit down and catch up on my breathing and it took almost 20 minutes for me to just calm down.

Is there any tips/advice you guys have for dealing with anxiety and attacks of that nature? Anything would help so I have something to go off of in case this happens again, and I'm sorry if this is super long; I'm still a little light headed from everything. Thank youuu

I try and think about something else when I feel like I'm getting anxiety.

I have panic attacks from time to time. It is a very uncomfortable feeling however always remember it will pass. Just remember that when you feel one coming on just keep telling yourself that you are fine and that it is all in your head. The tingling feeling is just your nervous system and the adrenaline that kicks in. Just remember its all in your mind and you aren't dying. Try taking deep breathes and focus on that. I always try to do things with my hands like writing to keep my mind off of it.

Lowding

I'm not sure if this gif will work as I am uploading it from my phone but finding a picture or a gif that resembles somethig thats relaxing to you can be useful; like moving clouds or a flowing river.

I find my body warms up a little when I'm anxious and applying something cool to my wrist or arm helps a little.

Also breathing in for 4 seconds, holding for 8 and then exhaling for 8 seconds is extremely helpful. Just repeat that process and close your eyes if it helps.

Or breathe in for 6/7 seconds and exhale as if you are blowing on a lit candle but do not want to extinguish the flame.

Elizabeth212

Find your strength in love
What has helped me is my relaxation techniques I use them to calm down and relax. I too have suffered from panic attacks and still do if you would like I can upload them to my dropbox account and you can download them.

I've only ever had perhaps two panic attacks over the course of this year though I've had experienced anxiety growing up and to a certain extent now as an adult but not to the point where I can't function fortunately. Talking to someone I know to help calm me down works the best. If I feel I'm on the verge of one, but doesn't usually happen unless it's a serious situation where it affects my future etc. I tell myself, yes talk to myself "Hey, don't freak out. Chill yourself! It's going to be okay." So it's a little awkward (I'm an awkward person *shrugs* whatever), and funny but it helps talking myself through the situation that it's going to be okay as long as I make it okay.

Walking away from the situation and/or finding the humor/positive in a situation if you can helps a lot, stretch to make sure the blood in your body is flowing/put your head down so it's circulating in your brain. Drinking water. Whatever works for you! I know it's hard being in the middle of conflict/negativity among people, but the only thing you can really do is remain calm and not letting their emotions/bad vibes affect you. It's hard because we all reach our breaking points on a bad day or time, but personally I think it's best not to exacerbate the situation while dealing with difficult people or people who aren't getting along or are in a bad mood.

Myth

I have major anxiety and take medication for it.
Many (many) people told me to just take deep breaths and try to calm down. This didn't help. No matter how many deep breaths or how much I tell myself to calm down, the severe anxiety is always there.

What truly changed my perspective was a piano recital I had a few weeks ago. I was soo nervous I would shake thinking about it. Every year I messed up so badly during the recital because I would be so afraid of messing up. My mom told me that she read an article in the newspaper about performance anxiety and what to do. She told me not to waste my time trying to take deep breaths and calming down but to change my mentality and tell myself that I'm excited.
Switching my energy from unstable to "hey, i'm going to give it my best shot" and turning it into positive, excited energy completely changed my mindset and I ended up actually performing perfectly without any mistakes because I used my anxiety as positive energy and not negative energy.

This is hard to do and it takes a lot of time to fully understand, and it doesn't work for everyone, but from my own experiences I would not waste your time trying to calm down, but instead try to be positive and tell yourself, "i'm excited! what's the worst that could happen?"

Best of luck to you!

Baka

I have major anxiety and take medication for it.
Many (many) people told me to just take deep breaths and try to calm down. This didn't help. No matter how many deep breaths or how much I tell myself to calm down, the severe anxiety is always there.

What truly changed my perspective was a piano recital I had a few weeks ago. I was soo nervous I would shake thinking about it. Every year I messed up so badly during the recital because I would be so afraid of messing up. My mom told me that she read an article in the newspaper about performance anxiety and what to do. She told me not to waste my time trying to take deep breaths and calming down but to change my mentality and tell myself that I'm excited.
Switching my energy from unstable to "hey, i'm going to give it my best shot" and turning it into positive, excited energy completely changed my mindset and I ended up actually performing perfectly without any mistakes because I used my anxiety as positive energy and not negative energy.

This is hard to do and it takes a lot of time to fully understand, and it doesn't work for everyone, but from my own experiences I would not waste your time trying to calm down, but instead try to be positive and tell yourself, "i'm excited! what's the worst that could happen?"

Best of luck to you!
This. So much of this.

When I was younger, I suffered major panic attacks along with major depression daily. I'd have panic attacks anywhere from 4 to 15 times a day, many of them severe leaving me hiding away from crowds and public places. Literally even the slightest touch of another person seemed to cause physical pain and panic, so I isolated myself for many years. Now though, you could never tell. I work and perform in front of thousands of people every day, and I'm completely fine without medication. This of course, took many years of getting over a long list of phobias, some of which I still struggle with, but not nearly to the extent of even a few years ago.

I took a very similar approach to Myth. In some situations, I do the same thing as to turn my thinking into an "I'm excited" approach, but in most day-to-day situations (such as the one you described) this could seem a bit odd. My approach to more frustrated anxiety is more apathetic. (It sounds bad, but actually it's pretty good.) If possible, remove yourself from those situations. Even if not physically, just pull yourself out of the decision and see where it goes. I often think to myself, "Why am I getting worked up over this? In the end, is it really going to matter if (x) does/doesn't happen? Am I really going to accomplish anything by getting overly excited about this?" Over the years, I've definitely developed a "go with the flow" mentality. I very rarely get worked up over anything, because if something is going to happen - it's going to happen. If it doesn't, there's always tomorrow, and even then there's always other options.

I've never really experienced panic attacks but for general stress/anxiety, the following are extremely helpful...

1) Sleep ***
2) Meditation
3) Yoga ^^^ (includes meditation)
4) Another form of aerobic exercise ^^^ (the reason I don't say anaerobic exercises is because it builds up a lot of CNS stress quite a bit quicker than aerobic exercise)

5) Hydration *** (I separate this from nutrition because it is important enough on its own)
6) Nutritional Balance ***

7) Music
8) Doodling
9) Anything else arts & crafts really ^^^ (arts & crafts is a very broad category, there is something for everybody)

10) Choosing who you tend to be around ***
11) The surrounding environment in general ***

Edit: 12) Any type of massage of course

*** just means something many people lack in (a common cause of general stress/anxiety)
^^^ just means something I highly recommend participating in if you don't already

& remember, stress/anxiety isn't necessarily a bad thing. They do come from bad things but also come from good things. Everybody experiences the two which is why it is important to know when and when not to seek professional help. Prolonged stress/anxiety is when you should seek help. I would personally recommend seeking help from someone close to you before you seek professional help that will cost you a pretty penny. A lot of times, a friend or family member is all you need to lean on. As for the attacks, I think @Mr.GreenGene summed it up best in his closing statement.

Last edited:
The only person who has ever calmed me out of an anxiety attack is my boyfriend. Before then, I just had to ride it out. He just reminds me to breathe (I tend to hold my breath when it's happening for some reason) and holds me somewhere quiet and calm until I'm okay. He also brings me a glass of cold water. The "quiet place" technique is what I would call what I do. I've never had any success with "distracting myself" or "breathing exercises". I think it all has to do with whether or not you are comfortable and feel safe in the place you are in. Having a "comfort object" like your favorite pillow (mine's a hoodie, it can be anything) can help as well. Something that smells nice and makes you feel good when you hug it/look at it. That being said, every anxiety attack is different with different circumstances.
I hope you feel better!

MissMitzy

RIP Mitzy 7/21/15
I've suffered from anxiety and Major Depressive Disorder since I was very young. When faced with a situation where I find myself stressing out, one of the biggest things that has helped me is breathing in through my nose (if possible) and out through my mouth, while placing my hands on my head and walking around as though I've just gone running.

Another thing I've found that helped in certain situations is counting all of the things I'm physically touching and describing them. For example, if I'm laying in bed, my head is touching a pillow that is soft but firm. That is one thing. The soft comforter I'm laying on is a second thing. And so on.

The last thing has already been said, but changing your mindset to excitement. It works well because the physical symptoms of fear and panic are VERY similar to they physical symptoms of excitement. It can be a challenge, but if you let someone around you know what's going on, they may be able to help pump you up! Hopefully someone's suggestions work for you, but if you ever need to talk to someone, don't hesitate to PM me(: