Political Correctness

allison

Are we, as Americans, too afraid to "offend" people, and not just be blunt and truthful?
Thoughts?
Also, are people more easily offended compared to, oh I don't know, 20 or so years ago?

Monorail

Frankly, I don't give two flyin' flips about being politically correct unless I'm in a setting where I can get more out of doing so. Sounds selfish, but I don't live my whole life for other people.

I think that Americans have just become more informed about eachother, and in turn more sensitive about issues that may require some sort of "political correctness."

Whispered

Frankly, I don't give two flyin' flips about being politically correct unless I'm in a setting where I can get more out of doing so. Sounds selfish, but I don't live my whole life for other people.

I think that Americans have just become more informed about eachother, and in turn more sensitive about issues that may require some sort of "political correctness."
I mean, people have always known gays exist, but why is it only now that people are afraid "oh if i say this it'll be offensive".

I'm like you - I don't care what other people think, because 9/10 times someone gets offended its because of their own problems or it's their own fault.

Furthermore, if you go around calling yourself/your kind (for lack of a better term) words like "n----", or "f-g", don't act all offended when someone else does.

Monorail

I mean, people have always known gays exist, but why is it only now that people are afraid "oh if i say this it'll be offensive".

I'm like you - I don't care what other people think, because 9/10 times someone gets offended its because of their own problems or it's their own fault.

Furthermore, if you go around calling yourself/your kind (for lack of a better term) words like "n----", or "f-g", don't act all offended when someone else does.
Personally, I think it's just a change of mindset. Gays are no longer a small minority of society-labeled freaks, too afraid to come out for themselves and show others that they are human beings, the same as us.

But now that it's more common, it's an empowerment thing I guess. Now that the action and lifestyle are becoming acceptable, people feel that there shouldn't be a negative connotation to said action or lifestyle.

Not hatin' just evaluatin'.

Whispered

Personally, I think it's just a change of mindset. Gays are no longer a small minority of society-labeled freaks, too afraid to come out for themselves and show others that they are human beings, the same as us.

But now that it's more common, it's an empowerment thing I guess. Now that the action and lifestyle are becoming acceptable, people feel that there shouldn't be a negative connotation to said action or lifestyle.

Not hatin' just evaluatin'.
i mean, i don't really see why people accepting them would change why they give two flying hoots about offending them, but i see your point.

I'm going to have to say yes, I kinda do think people have become easily offended. I'm used to people shooting poop. Like, me and my friends always greet each other with rude names and most people get upset hearing us say them. People have become overly sensitive and need a tougher skin.

I'm a huge supporter of gay rights and all, but this is the most current example of which I can think. Of course I get irritated when people use hateful slurs and words to emotionally hurt another being, people do have a right to express themselves. And words are only words if you don't let them get to you. Children need to be taught to not give a ******** what anyone else thinks of them and just worry about themselves. We all need to not get butthurt so easily. So someone said something rude? Move on. You can't please them all.

Strut your stuff and don't be a little wuss.

I'm going to have to say yes, I kinda do think people have become easily offended. I'm used to people shooting poop. Like, me and my friends always greet each other with rude names and most people get upset hearing us say them. People have become overly sensitive and need a tougher skin.

I'm a huge supporter of gay rights and all, but this is the most current example of which I can think. Of course I get irritated when people use hateful slurs and words to emotionally hurt another being, people do have a right to express themselves. And words are only words if you don't let them get to you. Children need to be taught to not give a ******** what anyone else thinks of them and just worry about themselves. We all need to not get butthurt so easily. So someone said something rude? Move on. You can't please them all.

Strut your stuff and don't be a little wuss.

I personally think society is becoming softer than a marshmallow. If we'd all once again remember our manners, practice forgiveness, and grow a thicker skin, we may actually tolerate each other. :sick: I don't know what will take for people to realize that.

I don't really think so. Society has always had its offensive words and attitudes and some just change from a generation to the next. If one of my friends gets offended by something i call them or something i say then i make a point not to do it. It's not really hard to be verbose. But normally if it's some stranger who is peeved, i couldn't care less.

Champ

It really depends on the instance. There are so many aspects to consider. One instance I researched: "American public schools in California and other Western states banning clothing depicting the American flag in order to avoid inflaming students who identify as Mexican nationals." I would assume the overwhelming majority of these instances didn't come from a place or prejudice or discrimination if any at all, so this is oversensitive.

The problem I see with political correctness is most people's sole reasoning is fear of ramifications. Political correctness should not be driven out of fear, but instead compassion. There are some instances like I mentioned above that are so ridiculous because they're fear driven, not compassion driven.

Be correct because you want the person to feel welcome. Don't make it a personal thing.

kalyee

I feel like, especially in certain online communities - tumblr, for example - people are way too quick to throw themselves in the victim role - for whatever reason they find it beneficial, be it the comfort/sympathy that comes with it, or having something to "speak out" about. Everyone has to throw a label on everything, everything is automatically discriminatory/sexist/shaming someone, and everything is problematic socially.
We live in a world now where everyone wants everyone to cater to them and their needs, and that's just not how it works. You can't throw "trigger warnings" on life. You're going to encounter people with a darker sense of humor than you. You're going to encounter people who are more open to talking about racier subjects in public places than you. You're going to receive compliments from strangers about your appearance.
These things aren't automatically problematic and oppressing you.
You can spend your entire life playing victim to silly comments and actions that probably have nothing to do with you specifically, or you can put your focus on something important.

If someone pulls me aside and asks me to cease discussing a certain topic in their presence because it bothers them, I'll definitely stop or take matters elsewhere because I don't enjoy making someone else uncomfortable.
But I don't walk around biting my tongue, always keeping everything shoved inside because I'm worried about the off chance that I might trigger or offend someone. Life is too short.

I definitely think people are afraid to be called out for being politically incorrect, and I think that's wrong. Unfortunately, too often the words sexist, intolerant, xenophobic, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist, bigoted, ect. are thrown around and misapplied, which makes it hard to make actual arguments sometimes without being labeled one of the above. For instance, if someone were to make an argument against Affirmative Action, they would most likely fear being called a racist, with good reason, and would have to spend a significant amount of time explaining why they are not racist rather than why they are opposed to Affirmative Action. Chances are, their views have nothing to do with race, but they may not get to explain themselves before someone gets mad. Those speaking out against gay marriage or abortion are often faced with similar dilemmas. Whether or not you are for or against any of these is irrelevant; I think it's fairly undeniable that many of us, especially those on the right, spend a lot of time walking on eggshells.