Unions

Whispered

[MENTION=58]Goddess[/MENTION] - But when a union starts doing things like forcing rehires of persons who blatantly violated their contract, did something extremely wrong (and potentially illegal), interferes with legal investigations..?

Monorail

[MENTION=58]Goddess[/MENTION] - But when a union starts doing things like forcing rehires of persons who blatantly violated their contract, did something extremely wrong (and potentially illegal), interferes with legal investigations..?

I would assume that this is a minority of cases if we're talking about all unions, but then again, I could be wrong. It is just an assumption. It's just hard to believe that the things you mention are the result in a majority of cases involving unions.

allison

I would assume that this is a minority of cases if we're talking about all unions, but then again, I could be wrong. It is just an assumption. It's just hard to believe that the things you mention are the result in a majority of cases involving unions.

It happens more than you think. That's why people such as teachers are hardly fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monorail

It is just an example of how unions cause unfit workers to keep their jobs. It happens everywhere where there is a union.

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just saying that, unless you can show me it isn't, unions using their powers unjustly is a minority in relation to unions using their powers to protect the worker intentionally or inadvertently.

I understand unions do bad things. I'm not denying that fact. I'm not even in a support stance on unions. I just don't think that these reports shouldn't deface unions as a whole. It would seem that unions are all bad because all we hear about in the media is a union protecting a teacher who was fired for sexual harassment, or a union using their collective power to receive demands they really don't deserve.

What you don't really hear about in the media is a union protecting a worker from having to work on a specific day of worship, or a union fighting to have a business supply a specific piece of a work uniform to workers required to wear it.

Whispered

If these types of things are happening even once, it's abuse and needs controlled.

Whispered

But how do you control collective action? That's all a union really is, right?
Do what you do with tax exempt orgs, have them register, not be allowed to endorse political candidates (still allow lobbying), etc. Make it easier for a company to deny a union's request to rehire someone. Make it legal to fire those who go on strike (without fear of suit by the union).

Monorail

Do what you do with tax exempt orgs, have them register, not be allowed to endorse political candidates (still allow lobbying), etc. Make it easier for a company to deny a union's request to rehire someone. Make it legal to fire those who go on strike (without fear of suit by the union).
These all actually seem pretty legitimate. I don't see too much of a problem with these.

Thanks!

Whispered

These all actually seem pretty legitimate. I don't see too much of a problem with these.

Thanks!
just wanting to say that i think this is the nicest, most thought out, best debate thread I've seen.

now lets make this plan and go get elected and make it law bc its fun.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Nothing is black and white in this world, there are grey areas. But you don't punish everyone, for 1 persons bad deed. There are some unions that overstep THEIR boundaries as well, and those unions should be dealt with accordingly, but there are a vast majority of unions that are important and essential to businesses and workers and they do a great many things. You shouldn't condemn them all, because some get too big for their britches.
I'm not saying there aren't cases of misconduct regarding unions, (because there are, and I fully acknowledge that), I'm simply saying that even though there are a few that screw up, doesn't mean we should condemn all the good unions that do a lot for their workers rights and making sure they're getting the proper treatment and wages they deserve.

Regardless of the bad cases, unions do, do a great deal of good and are completely necessary.

----------

It is just an example of how unions cause unfit workers to keep their jobs. It happens everywhere where there is a union.

That's a broad assumption to make. Unless you've researched cases of every kind of union available, and have found cases of misconduct in every category then that would fall under a majority of cases. But the reality is, the cases of unions overstepping their bounds and exploitation are minorities.

There will always be some bad eggs from the carton, but that doesn't mean all of the good eggs should be thrown away.

Last edited:

Whispered

Nothing is black and white in this world, there are grey areas. But you don't punish everyone, for 1 persons bad deed. There are some unions that overstep THEIR boundaries as well, and those unions should be dealt with accordingly, but there are a vast majority of unions that are important and essential to businesses and workers and they do a great many things. You shouldn't condemn them all, because some get too big for their britches.

----------

That's a broad assumption to make. Unless you've researched cases of every kind of union available, and have found cases of misconduct in every category then that would fall under a majority of cases. But the reality is, the cases of unions overstepping their bounds and exploitation are minorities.

There will always be some bad eggs from the carton, but that doesn't mean all of the good eggs should be thrown away.
At least for me, I'm not suggesting throw them all away, I'm saying control them. Just like we don't throw tax exempt orgs away for those few that are radical, we just control them.