Pray for Paris Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Professional Housewife
Just read through this thread and wanted to share something.

Last Sunday, I passed by Nohemi Gonzalez's vigil on my campus. There were over 2,000 people there. The amount of support that I saw there was just unbelievable to me. To be honest, it got me emotional. All of those people were there for this one student. This particular student was at the wrong place at the wrong time. She was Mexican-American. She was a design student. She had a story. That horrific event hit me once I realized someone from my own community was wrongfully killed. But also, something else hit me: She wasn't alone. There were over a 100 people that were killed in France. Everything was put into perspective once I saw those two thousand people at the vigil. This type of an event affects thousands. They all had stories.

Then, when I got home that night, I logged onto this place called the Internet. On Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and even Instagram, I saw several posts about the other horrific events that were occurring in the world (most of which have already been mentioned on this thread). These events have been killing thousands of innocent souls for years. People in third world countries are continuously being killed, yet their stories are often not shown in the media, particularly in America.

I'm sure that this pin did not have any ill intentions. Am I offended by this pin? No. It's a freaking heart pin. What does bother me though, is that Paris isn't the only one suffering. There are real people being killed out there, just like Nohemi. As much as we would like, we cannot just create a pin for every single atrocity that occurs in the real world. Show your support by going to these memorial services, offering aid, being involved in the political process, raising awareness on other global events like the one in Paris. This is heavy stuff that deserves more attention, but we shouldn't be giving attention to just a small portion of those affected. A world pin would be a better alternative, imo.
how many times do I have to go over the fact that Paris was the tragedy that I hold closest to ME... just like those people at the vigil held that incident closer to them. I made the pin representing Paris for various reasons, and I have no idea why people keep getting offended by it and asking for a world pin

Gallifreyan

The Slightly More Chosen One
how many times do I have to go over the fact that Paris was the tragedy that I hold closest to ME... just like those people at the vigil held that incident closer to them. I made the pin representing Paris for various reasons, and I have no idea why people keep getting offended by it and asking for a world pin
I don't think anyone was offended by you making the pin or even your idea of adding the pin in the game. When someone politely mentioned how it would be unfair to only recognize the Paris attack, people started saying that we were being argumentative when in reality, we were pointing out a fact. People are only offended by the lack of care some people are showing to this problem and how they are still pushing to add only this pin.
Please do not think we are attacking you or your sentiments because we are not. I understand that this was close to you but with all due respect, you are not the only one who plays this game.

Jacob

Professional Housewife
I don't think anyone was offended by you making the pin or even your idea of adding the pin in the game. When someone politely mentioned how it would be unfair to only recognize the Paris attack, people started saying that we were being argumentative when in reality, we were pointing out a fact. People are only offended by the lack of care some people are showing to this problem and how they are still pushing to add only this pin.
Please do not think we are attacking you or your sentiments because we are not. I understand that this was close to you but with all due respect, you are not the only one who plays this game.
in my opinion, as pointed out by me before, it sounds like everyone is just belittling the paris tragedy, and i dont think people understand this at all.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
At first I didn't know why people would be offended by this, but as time has passed, I definitely see how some would feel it would be best left not in game. Although I don't agree that it monopolizes the tragedy, I have been able to see how a lot of people are unsettled by the concept of it being an addition to the game. Obviously, I respect that since tragedy affects everyone differently and everyone has their own opinion on matters, especially the heavy stuff like this. Although I don't think the intention was to exclude the other attacked places, I think it would become problematic if pins were added every time something like this happened. But, on the other hand, I'd honestly rather have a pin showing support for the victims of the Baghdad, Paris, Mexico, etc. tragedies than a HM pin that has no real meaning.

But at the end of the day, I don't think it's fair to tell people they can or can't be offended by the pin suggestion. Any sign of emotional support should be applauded, not knocked down. There's too much ugly out there and signs of support like this shouldn't be cross examined as much as they are in this thread. If you can see that the item/whatever was coming from a good place in someone's heart, you should at least be able to vote against the pin without making others feel badly.

I personally have contributed to organizations helping those affected by the international tragedies as of late and suggest you all do the same if you can. If not, showing (GENUINE) support on social media is definitely acceptable. The world doesn't need to be rebuilt with just $$$, but with humanity and compassion as well and I think that was the basis of this pin suggestion.

in my opinion, as pointed out by me before, it sounds like everyone is just belittling the paris tragedy, and i dont think people understand this at all.
I definitely agree with this for the large clump of responses like the ones below. They come from good intentions, but I think they're worded wrong because what I'm taking away from them is "Yeah I agree with this BUT other places are hurting too so how about we have no pins."

Just read through this thread and wanted to share something.
What does bother me though, is that Paris isn't the only one suffering. There are real people being killed out there, just like Nohemi. As much as we would like, we cannot just create a pin for every single atrocity that occurs in the real world.
My only response is would you go up to someone wearing all pink in support of Breast Cancer and tell them that you're bothered because there's other cancers too? //:

Jacob

Professional Housewife
At first I didn't know why people would be offended by this, but as time has passed, I definitely see how some would feel it would be best left not in game. Although I don't agree that it monopolizes the tragedy, I have been able to see how a lot of people are unsettled by the concept of it being an addition to the game. Obviously, I respect that since tragedy affects everyone differently and everyone has their own opinion on matters, especially the heavy stuff like this. Although I don't think the intention was to exclude the other attacked places, I think it would become problematic if pins were added every time something like this happened. But, on the other hand, I'd honestly rather have a pin showing support for the victims of the Baghdad, Paris, Mexico, etc. tragedies than a HM pin that has no real meaning.

But at the end of the day, I don't think it's fair to tell people they can or can't be offended by the pin suggestion. Any sign of emotional support should be applauded, not knocked down. There's too much ugly out there and signs of support like this shouldn't be cross examined as much as they are in this thread. If you can see that the item/whatever was coming from a good place in someone's heart, you should at least be able to vote against the pin without making others feel badly.

I personally have contributed to organizations helping those affected by the international tragedies as of late and suggest you all do the same if you can. If not, showing (GENUINE) support on social media is definitely acceptable. The world doesn't need to be rebuilt with just $$$, but with humanity and compassion as well and I think that was the basis of this pin suggestion.

I definitely agree with this for the large clump of responses like the ones below. They come from good intentions, but I think they're worded wrong because what I'm taking away from them is "Yeah I agree with this BUT other places are hurting too so how about we have no pins."

My only response is would you go up to someone wearing all pink in support of Breast Cancer and tell them that you're bothered because there's other cancers too? //:
LITERALLY THANK YOU

Gallifreyan

There is nothing wrong in adding a pin to support paris, but do not say it is belittling the paris tragedy if you add a pin to honor all the innocent people that died because of the terror attacks that happened on the same day. Because as a human being I find that very offensive.
I think your statement belittles all the people that died, by the hands of terrorists, that weren't from France.

Jacob

Professional Housewife
I think your statement belittles all the people that died, by the hands of terrorists, that weren't from France.
And i think you're being argumentative. If a tragedy happened closer to you, for example if someone happened in america, obviously that would be more affective to you than somewhere else. You are just misunderstanding.

Gallifreyan

And i think you're being argumentative. If a tragedy happened closer to you, for example if someone happened in america, obviously that would be more affective to you than somewhere else. You are just misunderstanding.
I was not trying to be argumentative, I'm sorry if it came across like that. I was trying to make you understand it from my perspective because as mentioned several times, we are not trying to belittle the Paris tragedy at all. You're valid in saying that if a tragedy happened closer to you, you would be more affected. The point I was trying to get across was that it is not okay to say it is belittling a tragedy if you mention that other people have died during the same tragedy, the entire situation is just as sad. From my prospective, you seem a little misunderstanding.
Maybe I'm not wording my thoughts correctly but at this point I don't know what else to tell you to make you understand what I'm trying to say.

I also think you are trying to feed into an argument at this point so I'm going to stop responding to this thread.

Jacob

Professional Housewife
I was not trying to be argumentative, I'm sorry if it came across like that. I was trying to make you understand it from my perspective because as mentioned several times, we are not trying to belittle the Paris tragedy at all. You're valid in saying that if a tragedy happened closer to you, you would be more affected. The point I was trying to get across was that it is not okay to say it is belittling a tragedy if you mention that other people have died during the same tragedy, the entire situation is just as sad. From my prospective, you seem a little misunderstanding.
Maybe I'm not wording my thoughts correctly but at this point I don't know what else to tell you to make you understand what I'm trying to say.

I also think you are trying to feed into an argument at this point so I'm going to stop responding to this thread.
ok this argument is literally draining me why would i be feeding it its literally pathetic but okay bye

I'm sure that this pin did not have any ill intentions. Am I offended by this pin? No. It's a freaking heart pin.
I just said that I did not find the pin offensive. No one has. You made that pin for your various reasons, and we made our suggestion about a world pin for our reasons. This was posted in the suggestions thread where people also have the opportunity to offer their suggestions. Anyways, I think everything that needed to be said has been said. Your pin was a great idea, I just wanted to offer some more feedback so that it's more inclusive. :thumbsup:

iggypeach

My name is pashe
i think it's nice you made a pin for something you feel is close to home for you, just like i think its fine that other pins were made for the other places affected. there really shouldnt be any arguments over how someone wishes to show their support.

ok as reading through this..........
i think it's a cool idea @Jacob the pin is cute
what bothers me is that people are getting their panties in a twist, respectfully, about this pin but yet you are going to defend the Love Wins pin although SOME people may disagree to it???
"well the gays has their rights now and they should have something blah blah the pin was for them" (i read that other debate thread and some comments were sounding like that)
ok then what about paris? SURE other things are going around the world ok we get that! we get that... and ok sure possibly it would be a trigger warning but i believe jacob is just trying to do something nice and people are just being salty, sorry not sorry at all.
no i know he is not the only player in the game but there are some players over there too. i met someone who moved to america recently from paris and im scared for her husband at the moment.
im very sorry for what's happening jacob, cut him some slack. yes i see him and jafart doing gifs.. idc? i dont know him personally and he could be going through a tough time right now.
why do we need to throw salt around, this isn't the beach.

It would even be great to see a world peace pin or something! Just considering how many things happen everyday and for general awareness and support in game. To the people saying the Paris attacks are a political thing, the Love Wins pin is a political thing too.. adult topics have already been brought into this "childrens" game. And if they were to incorporate this pin into VMK, or something similar to the matter and you don't agree, don't buy it then, simple! That's why I never purchased a Love Wins pin. We might not all agree, but at least those who support it or who have been affected by it personally can have something.

It would even be great to see a world peace pin or something! Just considering how many things happen everyday and for general awareness and support in game. To the people saying the Paris attacks are a political thing, the Love Wins pin is a political thing too.. adult topics have already been brought into this "childrens" game. And if they were to incorporate this pin into VMK, or something similar to the matter and you don't agree, don't buy it then, simple! That's why I never purchased a Love Wins pin. We might not all agree, but at least those who support it or who have been affected by it personally can have something.
this this! that's what im saying with the paris/love wins "controversial/political debate" (i think i spelt it wrong) if you dont like it yea dont buy it??? it's not going to HURT you???

this this! that's what im saying with the paris/love wins "controversial/political debate" (i think i spelt it wrong) if you dont like it yea dont buy it??? it's not going to HURT you???
It's such a simple concept. It isn't going to hurt anyone! If VMK is going to show support for one issue, then they should show support for all.

Thank you for agreeing, LOL <3

Status
Not open for further replies.