Not to be rude, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testers are starting to get on my nerves. Some of the testers (no names) try and act like they're part of staff. Well, they kind of are, but they act like they're moderators or something. It's not all testers, just certain ones. I'm not trying to be rude but the testers don't have any sort of control over us, they were just lucky enough to get chosen. I just thought I'd bring this up. To the no names, you know who you are. ;)

This is happening mostly in-game, not so much on the forum.

kalyee

I haven't seen this happen at all on the forums, but maybe I'm missing the posts. The only time I've ever posted regarding tester status, is in the application thread where people whine or question why they were/weren't chosen, speculating as to the reason us testers were "unfairly picked over them" to which I respond, it's clear that none of us know why we were picked, as the team is very mixed in experience/age/activity levels, so speculating doesn't do much good.

I haven't seen one tester act as though they're staff or have control over anyone else, as we aren't even remotely like staff or moderators. What we do on the other server has nothing to do with other players, or the forums. We find bugs that hopefully help in-game experience. Other than that, we effect nothing. The only "rudeness" I've seen go back and fourth about testers is people in-game complaining because it isn't fair and we were given status, which I find to be silly, because we technically don't have any special privileges other players don't - our ability to spawn items and utilize the other server isn't for fun, as we are not supposed to use that server for anything other than testing bugs and making reports.

I'd have much preferred our "status" as testers to have been kept completely private, as it would eliminate any and all squabbles over the decisions.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I haven't seen this happen at all on the forums, but maybe I'm missing the posts. The only time I've ever posted regarding tester status, is in the application thread where people whine or question why they were/weren't chosen, speculating as to the reason us testers were "unfairly picked over them" to which I respond, it's clear that none of us know why we were picked, as the team is very mixed in experience/age/activity levels, so speculating doesn't do much good.
You really think I was whining? I was just responding to another post talking about something I read.

Elle

So basically, non-testers have seen rudeness from testers, and testers have seen rudeness from non-testers..

kalyee

You really think I was whining? I was just responding to another post talking about something I read.
No, I didn't specify who I was referring to when I said whining, nor did I say everyone I saw was whining, which is why I said "whine or question" as in your case you were simply questioning.

Kitten

Kittens inspired by kittens!
I don't think any of us think we are staff... Not sure I've ever seen anyone act like this.
If you have a problem with someone, you should confront them privately, not post a thread on the forums.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I don't think any of us think we are staff... Not sure I've ever seen anyone act like this.
If you have a problem with someone, you should confront them privately, not post a thread on the forums.
Well, that could start more problems then there already are. Just my opinion.

I definitely agree with Kaylee & Kitten here... I've never seen this happen at all on the forums or in game.. I will give benefit of the doubt that maybe I miss stuff, I know it's more than possible seeing as I'm not on 24/7 but atleast none of the testers that I am friends with or have really communicated with in or out of game act like they're staff & I honestly don't think they ever would act like that toward anyone..

& I also agree that instead of making a public thread about someone, you should confront them directly and privately..

Or to counter you can bring up the point that none of them have done any bugging in any game other than looking up "how to get outside the map" on YouTube for CoD. Being a tester is nothing special other than having your forum name changed to pink. (LOL)

Testers are starting to get on my nerves. Some of the testers (no names) try and act like they're part of staff. Well, they kind of are, but they act like they're moderators or something. It's not all testers, just certain ones. I'm not trying to be rude but the testers don't have any sort of control over us, they were just lucky enough to get chosen. I just thought I'd bring this up. To the no names, you know who you are. ;)

This is happening mostly in-game, not so much on the forum.

To be honest, I usually don't even reference the fact that I'm a tester. This is not only because I want to avoid revealing secretive info about the game but also because I don't want anyone to feel badly about not being chosen for the program. Moreover, I don't want anyone to treat me any differently (as players chauvinistically act around people who are given "privileged" statuses in games and have been acting around mods/staff) than they would anyone else. When there were fewer testers I used to question whether or not certain people wanted to be my friend just because of my involvement with the beta server.

With that said, I definitely understand where Josh is coming from and I think I could name a name - although pretty much just one - of someone that I notice acting like this. Frankly, I just find it to be comical... of course it probably could be considered frustrating for those who aren't as lucky as some of us. Just realize that the kinds of people who are impressed with their statuses on a recreation of some virtual game are usually some of the dullest people you'll ever talk to that don't have much else in real life to concern themselves with.

For what it's worth, know that we probably have even less power than you think we have lol

Josh isn't targeting a specific tester, so it's funny to see all these testers come forward lol. Anyway, this happens with any chain of command. You give someone an inch and they take a mile

philitup

The Internet Champion!
Or to counter you can bring up the point that none of them have done any bugging in any game other than looking up "how to get outside the map" on YouTube for CoD. Being a tester is nothing special other than having your forum name changed to pink. (LOL)
You do have a point, TBH. Some of my friends are testers, and I've asked them if they have ever been testers before, and some of them have said no, they have not. I'm like huh!? Taking from Kalyee's post "the team is very mixed in experience/age/activity levels". It almost sounds as if it's random. I know it's not, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I'm not really mad that I'm not a tester, I just don't get it.

If it makes you feel any better,
we are all technically beta testers, since myVMK is still in beta.
We just don't have the official title. :D
Anyways, in my opinion, I don't think it has anything to do with any of the testers acting like they are moderators, I think it's just that some people tend to view them LIKE they have moderator status.
But I agree with the others - if there is a tester that acts like that, then you should confront them directly. I don't think there is a need to make a thread based off of 1 person.

kalyee

To say that "none" of us have done any bugging in any game is an incredibly uneducated assumption, and is simply not at all true. While yes, there are some testers who are confused as to how they were chosen due to lack of experience, and there is an extreme lack of guidance among the group, quite a few of us have some testing background. Be that as it may, yes, the team is very mixed. But why anyone is getting irritated one way or another over a different colored name and an added responsibility in a virtual world is beyond me.
I have more than enough going on in my daily life, I shouldn't have to endlessly explain myself in my virtual one.

All this thread is saying is that some testers need to just relax a little and realize you aren't really staff, I respect all you guys it's just that some of you gotta realize this.

Half of them act like they are staff and the other half stay where they belong - in obscurity. I find myself preferring the latter.

For those of you in the former, i know you can't help feeling like you're sherlock of glitches when you're obviously watson, here's how you can brag without doing so overtly.

You're Welcome.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I have more than enough going on in my daily life, I shouldn't have to endlessly explain myself in my virtual one.
No one is asking you to explain yourself, you just keep giving out your opinion. Which is fine, but you can't say that were asking you to explain yourself.

Fairy

Half of them act like they are staff and the other half stay where they belong - in obscurity. I find myself preferring the latter.

For those of you in the former, i know you can't help feeling like you're sherlock of glitches when you're obviously watson, here's how you can brag without doing so overtly.

You're Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.