All clothing available for both genders?

eevee said:
I don't even understand why this is an issue, OVMK allowed male characters to wear female clothing and for females to have bearded faces and no one complained about it (and if they did, they were in the minority.) Most people embraced it and enjoyed it and had fun being able to customize your character even more than in VMK. It was fun, funny, and harmless. The only issue I had with it is that princess dresses were never released, so we couldn't have bearded princesses wandering around OVMK.

Little kids do similar things anyways. Boys put things like balloons in their shirts pretending they have boobs and girls pull their hair over their face pretending they have beards. It doesn't damage or corrupt them, they are just having fun, and this isn't any different. The only reason older kids and adults see things like that as a taboo or bad is because adults have told them it is, obviously dresses and make-up and body hair aren't just naturally right for one sex but not the other, people have made them that way.

Then there's always the thing about how society has changed over the years and defying gender roles is becoming more accepted, but that's not really important here, what's important is that this is all just harmless fun and people enjoyed it on OVMK and there's really no reason not to allow it on MMK.

But I guess we'll see, it wouldn't surprise me if dressing in drag wasn't allowed. I won't be too upset I guess. I do enjoy having one male and one female character anyways, but I still see no reason why it shouldn't be in the game.

I pray to the goddess RuPaul that drag is allowed in MMK

Edit:
MagicMatt said:
Definitely not. There's a lot of clothing that should stay gender-specific. Remember this was originally a Disney game... :thumbsdown:
And these are Disney movies

(there's also Elizabeth Swan from Pirates of the Caribbean, she disguised herself as a man to get on the ship, but I couldn't find a picture of it)

Being Disney isn't really a good argument against cross-dressing, especially since Disney isn't as "pure" as people like to think. Their films are filled with subtle adult jokes, and let's not forget the entire movie of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
yep i agree 100% with all of this

Nyeeeeehhh I dunno about that- it's a good point, but to be fair: Disney Games aren't Disney Movies~ I mean it's the same audiences but the games are aimed more at kids and young adults distinctly whereas the movies were for all ages~

Jovey said:
Nyeeeeehhh I dunno about that- it's a good point, but to be fair: Disney Games aren't Disney Movies~ I mean it's the same audiences but the games are aimed more at kids and young adults distinctly whereas the movies were for all ages~
That is true, but let's look at ToonTown and PotC Online- ToonTown's enemies are robots, but they are very humanoid looking, and your goal is to make them laugh so hard they explode (and die) (and in the case of the big boss cogs, you push one off the edge of a tower and another gets run over by a train) Your arsenal consists of pathetic cupcakes and squirty flowers, but also dropping grand pianos on them, blowing them up with dynamite, blasting them into the air with a boiling hot geyser, and smacking them in the face with a giant flaming wedding cake. No, it isn't graphic, and it's very cartoony and harmless, but it's still violent.

PotCO I've never played but after reading a bit about it, it's similar to ToonTown in that you have enemies you must defeat, some of which are zombified pirates (much more graphic than human-looking robots), which you must kill with guns, swords, daggers, and grenades. You can play Poker and Blackjack - gambling, there's voodoo- evil dark magic, and you sink ships full of other people.

In VMK too, you sunk other ships supposedly full of people in the Pirates Game, and the Haunted Mansion is filled with dead people. The Western Guest room had a grave dug in it, and you could sit on coffins as chairs.

If all that violence and death in Disney games is okay, why isn't some harmless and fun cross-dressing in VMK?

Gazehound said:
I'm not sure whether or not this is possible, but I think it would be very cool if all the clothing in the game could be worn by both male and female characters, rather than having certain things that can only be worn by one gender. I was always a little irritated by that!
Perhaps some people would find this controversial, but hey, if Neopets can get away with it, I'm sure MMK could too.
There are MANY reasons lots of parents don't allow their children to play Neopets. Unless it drastically changed since I last saw it, that is NOT a good game for kids. This is a Disney style game and with that there are certain expectations parents hold.

The difference is that Disney gets to control how a movie or television show plays out, but here we are interacting with different people.

There's nothing wrong with exposing kids to cross-dressing, but it will only be abused on the internet. There's a reason why Disney never let us.

But while I think there's a lot of clothing that should stay gender-specific (female tops and skirts in particular), I'm all for unisex hats and shoes.

MagicMatt said:
The difference is that Disney gets to control how a movie or television show plays out, but here we are interacting with different people.

There's nothing wrong with exposing kids to cross-dressing, but it will only be abused on the internet. There's a reason why Disney never let us.

But while I think there's a lot of clothing that should stay gender-specific (female tops and skirts in particular), I'm all for unisex hats and shoes.
I agree with this 100% its like saying allow the curse words to be unfiltered because children are gonna grow up to learn them anyway. I can't believe we're actually having this conversation lol

MagicMatt said:
Definitely not. There's a lot of clothing that should stay gender-specific. Remember this was originally a Disney game... :thumbsdown:
Being androgynous, a 'cross dresser' or transgender isn't inappropriate or in anyway disrespectful to the fact it was a Disney game. There's nothing taboo about boys wearing skirts/blouses or girls wearing shirts/pants that were originally intended for the opposite gender!
It's almost 2014, enough with these mandatory gender roles!
I think all clothing available for both genders is a very cool and fair thing. I myself would be thrilled to be able to have such a vast customization on my avatar.
But just because some boy avatars get to wear skirts doesn't mean you have to, lol. No ones forcing you to 'cross dress', so don't make your closed mindedness spoil other peoples fun!

Peaches said:
Keep an open mind. Gender roles shouldn't have a place in a Disney game. Children should be able to explore their identity and enjoy freedom to be who they want. Just as teenagers and adults should be able to.

This is my opinion, and I hope it doesn't offend, but broadens your ideas about masculinity and femininity.

(And remember, you wouldn't have to buy the clothes. No one is forcing you to :) )
Wow, I completely disagree on so many levels. Let's just keep it to this.... There are MANY things adults should/can do that children & teenagers shouldn't/can't do. And there are very good reasons for this too, maturity and raising children helps one to realize this.

It absolutely does force parents to have to take up this discussion with children some of whom are very probably too young and immature to understand the complexity and depth of this very mature subject matter. This is a child's game where politics and political correctness have no business being.

lordoflosers said:
MagicMatt said:
Being androgynous, a 'cross dresser' or transgender isn't inappropriate or in anyway disrespectful to the fact it was a Disney game. There's nothing taboo about boys wearing skirts/blouses or girls wearing shirts/pants that were originally intended for the opposite gender!
I think all clothing available for both genders is a very cool and fair thing. I myself would be thrilled to be able to have such a vast customization on my avatar.
But just because some boy avatars get to wear skirts doesn't mean you have to, lol. No ones forcing you to 'cross dress', so don't make your closed mindedness spoil other peoples fun!
No one is saying it's wrong. It's obvious that it will be abused, just like if there was no chat filter implemented. Ovmk was the best example of people abusing it. Btw Grizzly already mentioned that hats and shoes will be unisex.

Shrimp

If people are allowed to say twerk (even after blocking the word, people went around to say it and didn't get banned like I prayed -_-), they best be able to cross-dress. I like some of the guys shirts because girls in real life actually wear 'em styles. And men wearing skirts is OKAY, they're called kilts then ;) As for short-shorts, what's all the fuss? 6-year-olds are exposed to barbie dolls that can get naked, I'm sure that's worse than boy avatars wearing short-shorts virtually.

DisneyFan said:
lordoflosers said:
MagicMatt said:
No one is saying it's wrong. It's obvious that it will be abused, just like if there was no chat filter implemented. Ovmk was the best example of people abusing it. Btw Grizzly already mentioned that hats and shoes will be unisex.
You don't have to literally say it's wrong, but insisting it shouldn't be in the game is basically the same thing. It's not wrong right?, so why not include it? I can't see how it could be abused. I considered the fact that you could collect all types of clothes regardless of your gender, but I personally don't see how that would be abusing anything. In fact, I think it would be more fair.
More fair than some one being in the situation of "Hey I'm female but I really want to collect/wear that shirt! But wait...it's only available for men!"which promotes gender privileges and unfairness. Sexism if you would.
So if you can make hats and shoes unisex, whats the problem with making everything else unisex?
(hint: there isn't one, unless you consider boy avatars getting to have boobs completely blasphemous and offensive in which case, get with the times and grow up.)

lordoflosers said:
You don't have to literally say it's wrong, but insisting it shouldn't be in the game is basically the same thing. It's not wrong right?, so why not include it? I can't see how it could be abused. I considered the fact that you could collect all types of clothes regardless of your gender, but I personally don't see how that would be abusing anything. In fact, I think it would be more fair.
More fair than some one being in the situation of "Hey I'm female but I really want to collect/wear that shirt! But wait...it's only available for men!"which promotes gender privileges and unfairness. Sexism if you would.
So if you can make hats and shoes unisex, whats the problem with making everything else unisex?
(hint: there isn't one, unless you consider boy avatars getting to have boobs completely blasphemous and offensive in which case, get with the times and grow up.)
I agree with everything that you said except the last part. This is still a children's game! By your logic we should uncensor the chat as children will be exposed to it in the future anyway. Right? Btw I have nothing against cross dressing. I just hate how people will abuse their power, which happened om numerous occasions in OVMK.

DisneyFan said:
lordoflosers said:
I agree with everything that you said except the last part. This is still a children's game! By your logic we should uncensor the chat as children will be exposed to it in the future anyway. Right? Btw I have nothing against cross dressing. I just hate how people will abuse their power, which happened om numerous occasions in OVMK.
Let me make the difference very clear here. Any form of transgender-ism/cross dressing is not inappropriate for children, it is not taboo nor R-rated. It is a form of identity and expression. Transgender/cross dressing does not equal sexuality. It has nothing to do with anything sexual, and does nothing to harm children. Regarding the boob statement directly, breasts are not sexual objects, and if they really were that inappropriate then even females wouldn't be able to have them in the game.
Chat censoring has absolutely no connection with cross dressing. There are many different kinds of censorship, some have good intentions other kinds are forms of oppression.
Cross dressing should in no way be equally awful to foul/inappropriate language and harassment. In fact, cross dressing isn't awful at all. Like I said, an innocent form of expression and identity.
Also, "By your logic we should uncensor the chat as children will be exposed to it in the future anyway. Right?" gender roles/identities are not something children only find out about when they get older. Sexuality however, yes for the most part. Two very different things. There are kids as young as 4 that go outside the norms of gender roles, not because their innocence has been tampered with but because of personal preferences/personalities. Some little boys like dressing up as princesses and some little girls like dressing up as spiderman! Nothin wrong or inappropriate about that.
I hope that cleared up any kinda misunderstandings.

Chicknoodle said:
are you saying cross dressing shouldn't be aimed at children?

How is that obscene?
Ask Disney- they're the ones that didn't allow it in the first place, I'm not saying it's obscene at all.

I find it odd that we're discussing this using gender roles and children as if we expect many small children to be playing in the beta. I think we need to move onto why it does/doesn't bother ourselves personally. I've already given my reason.