All clothing available for both genders?

Gazehound

adventureland enthusiast
I'm not sure whether or not this is possible, but I think it would be very cool if all the clothing in the game could be worn by both male and female characters, rather than having certain things that can only be worn by one gender. I was always a little irritated by that!
Perhaps some people would find this controversial, but hey, if Neopets can get away with it, I'm sure MMK could too.

I hope! it makes trading with female avatars more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

aceastrofan

The one and only...
Both gender clothing would be nice. I've always wanted green flips, but those are girls only unless guys trade for them.

All hats (or most of them) will probably be available for both genders.

All of the clothing items though... I don't think it would work. We can definitely make some gender specific clothing available for everyone, but all of them might be a bit too much. I don't think you want to see me walking around in a mini skirt and cropped t-shirt! :lol:

Anything is possible though, so we'll see!

Shrimp

Grizzly said:
All hats (or most of them) will probably be available for both genders.

All of the clothing items though... I don't think it would work. We can definitely make some gender specific clothing available for everyone, but all of them might be a bit too much. I don't think you want to see me walking around in a mini skirt and cropped t-shirt! :lol:

Anything is possible though, so we'll see!
SHANE DID! Why can't you be like him ;/ He calls mini skirts a KILT btw.

I'd say let hats and shoes be co-ed but since most gendered shirt designs are drawn with that avatar's anatomy in mind, keep regular clothing restricted; it kind of ruins the immersion of the experience otherwise.

Gazehound

adventureland enthusiast
@ James Dean - Glad you like the idea, but yikes! That word is very offensive to transgender people and you probably shouldn't use it!
@ Geggy - Personally, I think having more than one character is just a hassle.
@ Grizzly - First off, I have to compliment your username/avatar/signature. Grizzly is the best character, without a doubt!
I don't see the big deal with males wearing very traditionally feminine clothing, but you know, only one step at a time.
@ MagicMatt - I just don't see why characters of certain genders wearing certain cuts of clothing is enough to make the game no longer family-friendly. I realize this is more a social issue than anything and I shouldn't get into it too deeply - I just got here, I don't want to fight with people already!
@ Jovey - Yeah, I figured the biggest problem would be that gendered clothing might not properly fit characters it wasn't intended for. It'd be cool if there was a way to get around that.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Geggy said:
I'm against this idea. Part of the fun of VMK was having a character of both genders, just to get all of the clothes.
I have to agree with Geggy on this one. I don't really like this idea. I had 2 characters so I could collect both types of outfit and really liked it. I wouldn't want to have them all on my boy character.

And if I'm not mistaken, I believe they said that green flips being a girl-only starting outfit was an accident.

Peaches

i have no gender & i must scream
I can see where some of you come from, saying that shirts with female anatomy shouldn't be compatible with male avatars. That is one thing, that I would be willing to let be restricted, of course.

However, I also agree that feminine clothing does not have to be for females only. Remember that females were once publicly shamed for wanting to wear masculine clothing: pants. :thumbsdown:

I think it is only fair that if females can wear "masculine" clothing, (think like the flat shirts, pants, cowboy, football, etc) that males should be able to wear "feminine" clothing. So long as that it is not the clothing with female anatomy, there is no reasoning behind restricting the other clothing, besides simple closed mindedness.

Keep an open mind. Gender roles shouldn't have a place in a Disney game. Children should be able to explore their identity and enjoy freedom to be who they want. Just as teenagers and adults should be able to.

This is my opinion, and I hope it doesn't offend, but broadens your ideas about masculinity and femininity.

(And remember, you wouldn't have to buy the clothes. No one is forcing you to :) )

Gazehound

adventureland enthusiast
Peaches said:
So long as that it is not the clothing with female anatomy, there is no reasoning behind restricting the other clothing, besides simple closed mindedness.

Keep an open mind. Gender roles shouldn't have a place in a Disney game. Children should be able to explore their identity and enjoy freedom to be who they want. Just as teenagers and adults should be able to.
Excellently put! I very much agree.

V_MK

I've got a dream
But what if guys want boobs too? (lol just being frank) I think we should be able to wear whatever we want and be whoever we want. If girls can wear shirts without boobs then why can't guys wear shirt with them? They are not shameful. They are a normal body part. And also, if you don't like it... don't wear it. It's that simple.

EDIT: OH! And also, some girls have/should be free to have facial hair too, so I think girls should be able to have facial hair as well. I forgot that aspect was in the game.

Peaches

V_MK said:
But what if guys want boobs too? (lol just being frank) I think we should be able to wear whatever we want and be whoever we want. If girls can wear shirts without boobs then why can't guys wear shirt with them? They are not shameful. They are a normal body part. And also, if you don't like it... don't wear it. It's that simple.

EDIT: OH! And also, some girls have/should be free to have facial hair too, so I think girls should be able to have facial hair as well. I forgot that aspect was in the game.
I tend to agree, but you have to realize this is all about compromise. Surely you can see there is somewhat of an argument against males having breasts. I can't speak for them, but if I had to guess, I don't think transgenders would even make a character of the opposite sex, just the one they identify with. As for genderqueer people, I don't think there will be much support for them. Unfortunately, that is something that almost no one is prepared to accept yet, and I don't think this is the proper place to broach that subject. That's something people have to accept on their own.

The best scenario in my mind is to let all clothing except shirts that directly show breasts be unisex. Also, probably to people's dislike, beards should not be allowed for females either. It is not fair for females to get male parts, if males cannot get female parts. That is the easiest compromise to offer, in my opinion.

I don't even understand why this is an issue, OVMK allowed male characters to wear female clothing and for females to have bearded faces and no one complained about it (and if they did, they were in the minority.) Most people embraced it and enjoyed it and had fun being able to customize your character even more than in VMK. It was fun, funny, and harmless. The only issue I had with it is that princess dresses were never released, so we couldn't have bearded princesses wandering around OVMK.

Little kids do similar things anyways. Boys put things like balloons in their shirts pretending they have boobs and girls pull their hair over their face pretending they have beards. It doesn't damage or corrupt them, they are just having fun, and this isn't any different. The only reason older kids and adults see things like that as a taboo or bad is because adults have told them it is, obviously dresses and make-up and body hair aren't just naturally right for one sex but not the other, people have made them that way.

Then there's always the thing about how society has changed over the years and defying gender roles is becoming more accepted, but that's not really important here, what's important is that this is all just harmless fun and people enjoyed it on OVMK and there's really no reason not to allow it on MMK.

But I guess we'll see, it wouldn't surprise me if dressing in drag wasn't allowed. I won't be too upset I guess. I do enjoy having one male and one female character anyways, but I still see no reason why it shouldn't be in the game.

I pray to the goddess RuPaul that drag is allowed in MMK

Edit:
MagicMatt said:
Definitely not. There's a lot of clothing that should stay gender-specific. Remember this was originally a Disney game... :thumbsdown:
And these are Disney movies

(there's also Elizabeth Swan from Pirates of the Caribbean, she disguised herself as a man to get on the ship, but I couldn't find a picture of it)

Being Disney isn't really a good argument against cross-dressing, especially since Disney isn't as "pure" as people like to think. Their films are filled with subtle adult jokes, and let's not forget the entire movie of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Peaches

eevee said:
I don't even understand why this is an issue, OVMK allowed male characters to wear female clothing and for females to have bearded faces and no one complained about it (and if they did, they were in the minority.) Most people embraced it and enjoyed it and had fun being able to customize your character even more than in VMK. It was fun, funny, and harmless. The only issue I had with it is that princess dresses were never released, so we couldn't have bearded princesses wandering around OVMK.

Little kids do similar things anyways. Boys put things like balloons in their shirts pretending they have boobs and girls pull their hair over their face pretending they have beards. It doesn't damage or corrupt them, they are just having fun, and this isn't any different. The only reason older kids and adults see things like that as a taboo or bad is because adults have told them it is, obviously dresses and make-up and body hair aren't just naturally right for one sex but not the other, people have made them that way.

Then there's always the thing about how society has changed over the years and defying gender roles is becoming more accepted, but that's not really important here, what's important is that this is all just harmless fun and people enjoyed it on OVMK and there's really no reason not to allow it on MMK.

But I guess we'll see, it wouldn't surprise me if dressing in drag wasn't allowed. I won't be too upset I guess. I do enjoy having one male and one female character anyways, but I still see no reason why it shouldn't be in the game.

I pray to the goddess RuPaul that drag is allowed in MMK
Just to clarify, I am totally with this side of thinking. 8)

I think recognizing that some people might fight tooth and nail to deny this from happening is a good precaution. In that case, a compromise would come in handy and it wouldn't have to be all or nothing.