Best Guest Room revision?

How do you think rooms should be entered into the contest?

• Most popular rooms are entered

• Submit them yourself

• A friend should submit it for you

• I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cat

Honestly, even if there is a Host that visits your room (even more than once) there is absolutely no guarantee that you've been entered in the competition or that you'll win.
Personally, I had a room that I (own conceded opinion here) thought was pretty great and unique. I worked really hard on it, and whenever I was in it (which I spent many many hours in that room that month attempting to get people to visit), lots of people visited and it was always on the most popular guest rooms list. I got my hopes up when multiple random people said that it should win BGR. It was a huge disappointment when what I personally felt was a less creative, less unique room won. It made me question if my room had even been considered.
If the judging and entry of the rooms is going to be completely random and up to the 'discretion' of the judges, then could we at least know the criteria for judging? There have been some months with excellent BGR winners, and some months where I've definitely seen better.
If, as you say, @HOST_Absolem, the rooms should be open to allow people to come in and view them, then how come a large percentage of the winning 'entries' never experienced high traffic in the room? If you're going solely off of rooms that players populate, then why do rooms that have only been frequented by that person's friends win? There have been a lot of rooms that I have NEVER seen on the 'popular' guest rooms list, yet they still won. I feel like there are some huge loopholes in the way the rooms are currently judged.

Is it a popularity contest, or is it a skill contest? Because from my perspective, it doesn't look like either. And to me, yes, it completely seems like a competition. Many people wish they could win, either for the recognition, the pin, the suite room or the Club 33 party. If it's not a contest, why is it so heavily rewarded?

The way that the BGR is selected is honestly so discouraging. I feel like even if you have skill, a great room, with people frequenting it, you don't stand a chance because you're relying completely on the 'discretion' of the judges...

Edit: Adding this to my post because it's relevant and I found it after I posted.

Here's some food for thought - everyone who wants BGR to be chosen based on building abilities and what not, what is the criteria for the scoring then? Do you know what the criteria is? How can you be sure that the judges (staff choosing) will not be bias?

Perhaps having popular guest rooms is a way to let the public decide what a BGR is. Also, this encourages the owner of the room to spend time welcoming players into their BGR entry - not just sending in a written application and letting fate decide the outcome.

Sure it could turn into a popularity contest, but hey it could also not be right?
This is what I mean when I say there's literally no solid criteria for judging, and that's the issue. In my eyes, it's not a popularity contest, it's not a skill contest, so what is it? Right now it's the "Staff Happened Upon My Room and Thought it Was Cool" competition. There are so many players who have and maybe never will be recognized for their ingenuity. As it is now, the public is not deciding who the BGR winner is. If they were, why do we even need private judging? Why can't we just have a monthly poll? I would love to be able to say that the BGR winner is selected off of the popular rooms list, because at least that would make it something. But often times, not even 'popular' rooms win. So what's the deal?
The staff decide the "fate of the outcome" anyways, so why not save us the trouble by not forcing us to sit in our rooms for an undefined amount of time?

Last edited:
We may look into implementing a system where you can nominate/recommend someone's guest room to us, in addition to having HOSTs visit the rooms on the popular rooms list, however, I cannot promise anything yet. We decided to remove the old system of BGR because it had a few issues.

Just because that other thread was closed doesn't mean that one MyVMK BGR winner didn't copy an original VMK BGR winner 90% of the way. It still happened. Just throwing that out there. And that's only one example of a copied room. I can justify others with or without certain tools staff have that us players do not. I'd rather not get into those details though because I don't want to say specifically who didn't deserve to win what.

Whether or not the BGR system changes entirely, something needs to happen about the above problem... and I'm not saying to revoke any winners at all. I'm just saying for the future winners.
Unfortunately, there is not much we can do to solve this problem. We have no way of going back in time to review every VMK Guest Room created and making sure all submissions were 100% original. We try our best to make sure all rooms are created fairly and did not plagiarize anybodies work, but there will be times where a room may slip by. Yes, there are times where we notice a room is downright stolen and we disqualify them for that.

Also keep in mind that someone's room may be a recreation of their old room from the game, or perhaps they just had a similar idea. It happens every once in a while.

Exodus

We may look into implementing a system where you can nominate/recommend someone's guest room to us, in addition to having HOSTs visit the rooms on the popular rooms list, however, I cannot promise anything yet. We decided to remove the old system of BGR because it had a few issues.
May I ask what issues?

Honestly there is no significant difference between the old and the new system in terms of setting yourself up as an entrant. If players are out to participate in BGR for the month, they will make it obvious by attempting to sit in their rooms all day or trying to make it popular (the only ways to be considered)... which would essentially be the same as sending in BGR submissions themselves except the latter being less time consuming and more assuring. Let's not forget those who post their Best Guest Room on the forums definitely have better odds of getting noticed than those who don't (an indirect BGR submission).

I don't understand why we can't have a combination of the old submission system and then have the judges decide based on player reaction of the rooms by their popularities or whatever if that aspect is critical for their final judgement... However, they also have allowed rooms that barely ever gained popularity to win... The new system has no structure to the players from the outside. With the old system, the list of entries were also kept a secret. At this point I don't even think there's a particular Best Guest Room criteria and judges just all agree on a random worthy player to win for the month.

As others have mentioned, none of this would be holding up so much water if it wasn't for the great amount of prizes that came along with being chosen. The prizes constitute the entire thing as a competition even if the judges try not to see it as one.

If there was a combination of submitting your own rooms as entries, then also possibly being judged on its room popularity or traffic, along with the option of allowing anyone (not just friends) to nominate any rooms, it could result in a more community favorable win. I believe it'd make judging more fair and easier. It would also comfort those who participated knowing that their entries were considered eliminating any backlash about not having been visited by a staff or whatnot.

Last edited:

Zelena

If you want to win, and sitting in your room at certain times does not seem to be working for you, try different times. Lack of staff isn't the issue here.
I just want to say that if you work or go to college, most people spend the time that they can on here. They can't just change their schedule because they have class or work that takes a priority. If they can't seem to get entered because of their schedule, then lack of staff is an issue for them. Not everybody is sitting around playing myvmk 24/7 and can just host hunt all day.

Lindsay

While I'm glad you are considering revamping the system, I can't help but wonder what issues were involved with the old system that this new system solved. I know from the userbase side, not the technical side, it seemed to have caused more issues.

Bug

I just want to say that if you work or go to college, most people spend the time that they can on here. They can't just change their schedule because they have class or work that takes a priority. If they can't seem to get entered because of their schedule, then lack of staff is an issue for them. Not everybody is sitting around playing myvmk 24/7 and can just host hunt all day.
this
I'm a college student and sometimes I just can't get on. I literally didn't get on for 3 months straight because I was so busy and just recently was able to come back on. Now, that is an extreme case, obviously, but I am sure many others have the same problem. So, when I can get on, I don't just sit in my room, I play games and try to make host events, maybe trade a little. I did have time to make a room this month, and I know it's not good enough to win BGR, but it's just upsetting that it probably won't be looked at because I don't have time to be in my room.

ooooooo I really love the flag idea! It reminds me of the room competitions. Good idea!!! Then the hosts can judge your room and go to your room even if you are not on 24/7, nice :D![DOUBLEPOST=1443722464][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think we should be able to submit them.
I worked hard on my tiki room
and I don't think it was considered at all.. I don't usually get much traffic in my rooms either :/

Edit: Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking. Mods please delete this post if I am.
WOAH i never saw this room! wow its amazing...and super original!

Hmm... Now seems to be a good time to bump this with all the controversy surrounding it. I LOVE the first idea, and it actually surprises me that this is not being used today. Also, I love the idea of treating it like the ride competitions. It's so sad to see a player waste 100k+ to get no recognition for their work :( I remember attempting a BGR and having NO idea if I was even being considered. I didn't win (obviously) and I couldn't even feel sad about it because I honestly didn't think a HOST saw it anyways. A lack of knowing recognition seems to be the key here. Hopefully it'll get resolved!