College

Elle

Well, right now I attend a community college. No dorms, but I live literally only a few minutes away by car, 15 minutes if I walk, so it's great. xD
A lot of people talk mad negativity about my college because it's a "community" one, but those exact people who I know are trying to get themselves out of debt with only three semesters in their University, or have already dropped out. :P So me? Not complaining whatsoever. I love it, because it's small. I've only ever attended small schools so going to a huge campus kind of stresses me out a little. Grants are pretty easy to achieve with the right grades and GPA through my college and they always have scholarships every month for the students, including cash prizes with contests (and they try to have multiple wins). So yeah, they really try to help out the students because they know how hard it can be to pay off college.

I'm in two clubs so far. Dynamic Expressions, which is a Performance of Arts club and i'm currently the Historian, and the Cosplay Club.
Before I started college, I didn't want to make friends. I just wanted to get in, go to class, get out, simple as that. But then once I joined Dynamic Expressions, I realized how important it is to make friends in college and to make connections. We do Open Mics every other month and the amount of talent my campus has is incredible. We're trying to take our members to a workshop up in New York so that's exciting. We also do volunteer work and we're slowly expanding our opportunities to grow as a club and family.

I'm definitely not the same person I was before college. Other than still loving to cosplay, i've matured but i'm also more confused than I ever was with where i'm at with my life, but then again i'm never fully content because I always think I can improve in someway or another. :P
College is great and I love learning new things, but I wish that on my campus, we would actually use the books we buy, and not buy it and then never open it throughout the entire semester. -_-'

Ah, okay. Well good luck! Have you chosen your major yet?Or what are you interested in studying?

Dual enrollment (or another similar program), I assume? If so, trust me - dual enrollment is basically just like taking AP and/or IB classes. There really is no difference between the two, except AP and IB are generally more preferred. While all three expose you to the college course load (especially if you're taking all AP/IB/or dual enrollment classes), they're still different from actually being in college, if you get what I mean (especially if you have to deal with restrictions on what classes you can take - such as only being able to choose from a select few or 100/200 level courses, if you're taking classes with other high schoolers - that's how it's done in my state, or if you're taking classes at a community college). While it's a good experience, it's a shame that a lot of the times you end up graduating in 4 years still instead of graduating earlier. (Even just with AP credits, you could have enough credits to be a sophomore or junior, essentially having earned an associates in high school. When you add IB credits, CLEP credits, etc... it's amazing how many you can earn.) And it's a little weird applying to college as a freshman applicant (and therefore being a freshman in college) and having to explain to people how you're really "a junior" or a "senior" but are also a freshman. Oh well though. xD What comes to really matter is what you actually are in college. The amount of credits you earned through high school programs tends not to matter (unless they all apply to your major of course). :(

I do agree with your advice though and to go along with it, be careful when you're choosing professors! Ratemyprofessor is a godsend that you should always use if you can.
Yessss rate my professor is amazing.

But as for the dual enrollment, sort of. I'm not in high school classes, straight college, and I'll be graduating from the college with my Associates two weeks before I graduate with ny high school diploma, so I'll only need two years at my university. Plus, if you go to the school I go to (it's a charter school on the college campus, so that we can take the college classes) and graduate with your AA, you can go to any University in Florida.

Jasmine

Yessss rate my professor is amazing.

But as for the dual enrollment, sort of. I'm not in high school classes, straight college, and I'll be graduating from the college with my Associates two weeks before I graduate with ny high school diploma, so I'll only need two years at my university. Plus, if you go to the school I go to (it's a charter school on the college campus, so that we can take the college classes) and graduate with your AA, you can go to any University in Florida.
Yeah, I figured that. My state doesn't have any programs like that but I've heard of them.
They're really good programs, but I've heard people complain about problems with their credits or not qualifying for scholarships, which is why I always preferred AP/IB/CLEP. A lot of the times people still don't graduate in 2 years either... it's weird haha. A lot of upper division classes are only offered at certain times or years. I've known people that were 1 or 2 classes away from graduating, but couldn't graduate on time because a class they needed wasn't being taught that year! It's really weird. >_>

IMO, try to get the best out of your college years. While graduating 2 years early definitely sounds appealing, a lot of students end up staying 4 years to get the college experience or because they decide to double major. College is supposed to be one of the best times of your life. Make sure to enjoy it and learn everything you want to. :P

Last edited:
A lot of people talk mad negativity about my college because it's a "community" one, but those exact people who I know are trying to get themselves out of debt with only three semesters in their University, or have already dropped out. :P So me? Not complaining whatsoever.
YESSS Community college is the best way to start out.
Way less expensive plus you get a degree.
My first two years I got an Associate's Degree. Now I'm working on a BFA in something completely different at a University!

Yeah, I figured that. My state doesn't have any programs like that but I've heard of them.
They're really good programs, but I've heard people complain about problems with their credits or not qualifying for scholarships, which is why I always preferred AP/IB/CLEP. A lot of the times people still don't graduate in 2 years either... it's weird haha. A lot of upper division classes are only offered at certain times or years. I've known people that were 1 or 2 classes away from graduating, but couldn't graduate on time because a class they needed wasn't being taught that year! It's really weird. >_>

IMO, try to get the best out of your college years. While graduating 2 years early definitely sounds appealing, a lot of students end up staying 4 years to get the college experience or because they decide to double major. College is supposed to be one of the best times of your life. Make sure to enjoy it and learn everything you want to. :P
Yeah, the last part is true. I'll probably be there three or four years at least, because right now I plan on double majoring with biology and psychology.

Jasmine

Yeah, the last part is true. I'll probably be there three or four years at least, because right now I plan on double majoring with biology and psychology.
Definitely go for psychology! Of course I'm a bit biased because I'm a psychology & forensic/neuroscience double major but either way, psychology's a versatile degree and there's so many research opportunities. :bounce:

also forgot to mention make sure you keep on top of things of getting all required classes and credits because i just let my advisor tell me what to do and now im a senior and suppose to graduate but still need 6 credits left :/ so i still have to take a few classes this summer or next semester..

Romantic

i just feel you
I'm only a few short weeks from finishing my first semester at college, even though it's a community college. There are 3 community colleges within 30 minutes of my house, I chose this one because of its proximity to my grandma's house (about a 10 minute drive). The freedom is amazing, this semester I had all my classes in the afternoon, and only monday-wednesday and one class on tuesday. nearly all of my classes have an online component which allows me to focus and study outside of class and not have to worry about missing a day or two due to an illness.

when you get to college, unless you can stay focused, do not take an online course. I tried to, and it stressed me out more than my hybrid courses. I am an auditory learner, and I perform better when I am present during a lecture, am able to take notes of my own wordings, and put those notes into action in a quiet environment (ie. my room or the school library - which is an excellent resource and should be used as often as needed.)

Also, night classes are dreadful. I am enrolled in an Astronomy lecture from 7-9:50pm on Mondays. we get a break about halfway through and most people don't stay for part two - not that it makes a difference. all of his lectures are online and all our work is online as well. he always gets off topic and doesn't exactly make the topic interesting for everyone (referencing star trek instead of star wars on night one was his downfall with me). but by that time of the day you are so exhausted and for me i study better at night than during the day, and i pay more attention in class in the late morning and early afternoon.

take it easy your first semester. learn your habits and when the best times for you to attend classes is. meet with a counselor if you're unsure of what courses to take. (in my case, all of my transfer requirements were found online and I was able to determine my coursework easily without that need, but I am a highly independent person, and I do better figuring things out on my own rather than being told what to do).

don't stress out too much, get plenty of sleep, and don't miss meals. hydrate, listen to classical music when studying, and above all, STAY ORGANIZED. I am an organizing goddess (as referred to by my boyfriend) and have plenty of tips for keeping your important information, due dates, and study notes at your fingertips all day, every day.

GOOD LUCK <3