GUIDE: how to make gifs in photoshop.

Snaps

mischief managed
hey guys!
i make a LOT of gifs. for tumblr, mostly, but i've also made some for forum signatures/etc.
a lot of people ask me how to make them, and it's actually a pretty easy thing to do!

in this guide i will be showing you how to make a simple gif in photoshop.
here are some examples i have made:

okay, now for the tutorial!

1. Download the video content you want to make gifs from.

2. Download The KMPlayer

3. Open the video file with the KMPlayer. It will look like a normal video player. Right click the video itself and select Capture > Frame: Extract.

pay attention to the highlighted. you can always change it anywhere from 2-4. 4 for longer scenes, 2 for shorter, and 3 for anywhere in between. this number just means how many frames it will skip. it's not noticeable and it uses less screen caps, and makes gif-ing easier!

Press Start when you want to start capturing frames, and Stop when you want to stop.

4. Open photoshop. Go to File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack

upload all of the frames that you want in the gif. they will come up all in a stack in one project, instead of opening many different tags. go to Window > Animation to make sure the Animation toolbar is up.

resize to your liking at this moment. for smaller gifs, i tend to go with 160x124, with medium, 245x190, and large, 500x300.
sharpen each frame if you wish as well. you will need to do each frame individually, unfortunately. my way of doing this is going to Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen, changing the Radius to 0.4px, and then adjusting the Amount to fit the cap.

back to gifs...

5. Click this little button here:
on the Animation toolbar. Click Make Frames from Layers. Then click the button again and select Reverse Frames as they will be backwards. Click the button again and select Select All Frames

While theyre all selected, click the little arrow and make sure the speed is at 0.1 seconds. This makes it the most natural speed.

Color it/edit it/whatever however you please.

6. Now comes the annoying part. Tumblr only allows up to 1MB as the size of gifs, or they wont move. So this is where you will have to do some adjusting to be able to save it. Two options: you can delete some frames. Or you can adjust the colours.
[obviously since i wrote this for tumblr, this isn't applicable on the forums. but it is ideal to keep them smaller in size! 1mb is pretty big, so i'm just gonna keep this here for future reference!]

Go to File > Save For Web & Devices.

see, the size in the left corner says 751K. this is big enough, as the gif size limit is 1MB now! If it is bigger than 1MB, youll have to adjust with the color. Where it says Color: 256, keep bringing down the number until the size goes to at the most, 1mb. Once it is that or under, click save, and your gif is complete. :)

i wish i was familiar with GIMP, as i would make a guide for that as well.

hope this helped!
feel free to try it out and post your results!
if you need any help at all, don't hesitate to ask!

part 2: adding text to certain frames

This would be helpful if I had something better than Photoshop Elements. :\ Can't really make gifs on that.
But overall, great job!

Shrimp

Great tutorial! Adding in text as you would in a non-gif wouldn't interrupt its animation, right? How do you cue in certain texts in certain frames like the first gif?

Snaps

mischief managed
Great tutorial! Adding in text as you would in a non-gif wouldn't interrupt its animation, right? How do you cue in certain texts in certain frames like the first gif?
thank you! ^_^

and no, it will not disrupt it, as long as you add the text AFTER you animate your gif! if the text layer is over all of the others, then it will show throughout the gif.

to make the text come at certain time frames, still create the text layer above all the others. then go through the animation - on the animation toolbar, click on the frames that you don't want the text showing through, and then over in the layer section, click the little eye button to make it invisible for that frame. does this make sense? I can add another part to this tutorial going into more detail with pictures and such if you want! c:

Shrimp

thank you! ^_^

and no, it will not disrupt it, as long as you add the text AFTER you animate your gif! if the text layer is over all of the others, then it will show throughout the gif.

to make the text come at certain time frames, still create the text layer above all the others. then go through the animation - on the animation toolbar, click on the frames that you don't want the text showing through, and then over in the layer section, click the little eye button to make it invisible for that frame. does this make sense? I can add another part to this tutorial going into more detail with pictures and such if you want! c:
Thank you for explaining! And sure, a tutorial in depth would help a lot if you don't mind :D

Snaps

mischief managed
HOW TO MAKE GIFS PART II: ADDING TEXT TO CERTAIN FRAMES

now that you've made a gif, you might want to experiment with effects such as text!
adding text is simple, but let's say you want to add text, not throughout the whole gif, but at a certain time frame, like starting in the middle.
here is how you can make a gif like that!

examples:

step one:
create your gif!
sharpen it, animate it, color it. do whatever you need to do before adding text.

here's my project

step two:
add your text!
use the text tool to type whatever you want, and then place it where it needs to be.

you can also add effects. i used a stroke effect at 1px, so that if the background suddenly turned white, you'd still be able to read it.
you could also add a shadow or a glow, depending on what you prefer!

make sure the text layer is on the top!

now that it's on the top, it's going to show up in every single frame

if you want it on every frame, you're done!
go ahead and save it and be on your merry way.

if not, you still have some work to do.
let's say you want it to start when he starts speaking.
you play through the gif and you see he starts speaking on frame 8.

step 4:
ctrl + click the 7 frames before that. or shift + click, whichever floats your boat.

now that those are selected, go over to your layers sidebar, and click the eye button to make the text invisible for those frames.
it will only be invisible in the frames selected.
it should look something like this

and there you go!
you're done!
save it as shown in the first post, and your gif will be perfect and finished!

here is my finished product

if you have any questions/comments/concerns, don't hesitate to ask!
and feel free to add anything you've made with these tutorials, i'd love to see your work! ^_^

Snaps

mischief managed
Here it is on imgur- I can't figure out how to post it to the website D:

http://i.imgur.com/KmhhIAN.gif
wow, looks great! love the loop! ^_^
to get it on the site, you have to type out
for some reason. makes it a little more annoying to post stuff haha, probably just a bug!

Lol, looks cute!

Thanks for making the second part! :) I'll be sure to post my gif here when I attempt!
no problem! c: can't wait to see!

Grant

Get high through the lows
Great guide! I'll check on this in case I forget the 'KMPlayer" part :) I always forget, lol
You should also add in how to put .psd photoshop effects on gifs!

Snaps

mischief managed
Great guide! I'll check on this in case I forget the 'KMPlayer" part :) I always forget, lol
You should also add in how to put .psd photoshop effects on gifs!
this is an old thread i am resurrecting, but i'll be happy to add that tutorial in here somewhere! expect it tomorrow. :)

Baka

You could also just edit the clip in a video editing software such as Adobe Premiere (If you already happen to have the Adobe Collection), Export the (short) video clip to an AVI, and use the import tool in photoshop. It automatically creates the frames for you. You can then lower the file size by deleting every-other frame.