Gun Laws in America.

allison

The fact is, there is the 2nd amendment, which states that you have the right to bear arms. It's unfortunate that mentally unstable people do bad things with them, but we cannot punish those who use weapons responsibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact is, there is the 2nd amendment, which states that you have the right to bear arms. It's unfortunate that mentally unstable people do bad things with them, but we cannot punish those who use weapons responsibly.
No one said we have to take weapons away from everyone. I'm simply asking for A. restrictions on the kinds of weapons, and B. a system to ensure the mental stability of those who purchase and own firearms.

To be entirely fair, the Second Amendment cites a "well-regulated militia" as important. Obviously, the Founders would not want would-be criminals to bear arms (no one does), and I think this text reflects that. Weapons in the hands of every person hardly constitutes "well-regulated."

It's hard to restrict weapons it's like how overprotective parents create sneaky kids you know? They'll find a way to get them. If someone has intent to hurt another, they will find the means to it. Gun or no gun. It's the person, not the gun, that pulls the trigger. To restrict it to the point where it would actually be efficient would create animosity among those who feel they have the right to wield their gun for protection. It's tough and this is coming from a person who hates the very invention of guns.

Look at Switzerland: they have a law that every citizen must own a gun, thus, creating a low crime rate. I guess if guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, and spoons make people overweight.

People should have the right to have small, single shot, hand guns, to keep their family safe.
Also hunting guns should be allowed. Both with the right permits and training classes and such.

But no one expect the military should be allowed to have the automatic guns that like have 400 bullets per round. (I'm exaggerating because I don't know any terminology about guns.) But the big guns, that can shoot continuously, like the ones used during the Newtown School shooting, shouldn't be allowed to ANYONE.

Look at Switzerland: they have a law that every citizen must own a gun, thus, creating a low crime rate.​
This is all well and good, but there's one little problem: the United States is not Switzerland.

Switzerland is a country that requires military service and yet hasn't sent its military into battle in a long time. Meanwhile, the United States sends its military into every conflict it hears about. There's a definite cultural gap between the United States and Switzerland, especially when we're talking about violence.

Look at Switzerland: they have a law that every citizen must own a gun, thus, creating a low crime rate.​
This is all well and good, but there's one little problem: the United States is not Switzerland.

Switzerland is a country that requires military service and yet hasn't sent its military into battle in a long time. Meanwhile, the United States sends its military into every conflict it hears about. There's a definite cultural gap between the United States and Switzerland, especially when we're talking about violence.
Thank you for the reply in a civil manner. :)

My point is that they have a lot less violence, seeing as they don't have shootings almost every day or week because almost everyone owns a gun. Even if someone were to take guns away, people would find new ways to kill one another or cause mass murders.

allison

No one said we have to take weapons away from everyone. I'm simply asking for A. restrictions on the kinds of weapons, and B. a system to ensure the mental stability of those who purchase and own firearms.

To be entirely fair, the Second Amendment cites a "well-regulated militia" as important. Obviously, the Founders would not want would-be criminals to bear arms (no one does), and I think this text reflects that. Weapons in the hands of every person hardly constitutes "well-regulated."

Your suggestions would be nice, but unfortunately, I don't see it working in a real life situation. People will get around the law and obtain guns illegally. Also it would be very expensive I'm assuming. Also, what really is the definition of a "well regulated militia " ??

dislike the gun enthusiasts.

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people derp derp derp"

Yeah well, what exactly are guns used for besides killing people?

"Ummm...."

Exactly. Look at England. How many school shootings a year do they have with their strict gun laws?

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Get real a militia against tanks and drones? fat good us having guns will do.

We need better background checks, and let the gun sellers take some if not as much blame as those who they sell the gun to who goes off on a killing spree. They literally have the most protection when it comes to that FOR NO REASON.

They should be more stricter. It shouldn't be as strict as the United Kingdom, though. There would be a lot less shootings if gun laws were stricter. I see why someone may want to own a gun for person uses, like hunting, and self defense. But I'm sure there are ways to make it a lot safer for the country.

Whispered

Guns should be restricted to some extent. I think people should be allowed to have them, but only with a psych-evaluation, and I think allowing people to buy fully automatic weapons is a bit much. Maybe have a re-evaluation every couple years, and thoroughly document gun purchases. That way, if someone's mental state goes way downhill, their weapons can be seized before they do something horrendous.

There's a reason for the Second Amendment, and so I think stable people should be allowed to bear arms for their own defense, recreational hunting, etc.

And you think that if guns are taken away, the suicide rate will just go down?
Abso-freaking-lutely.

In the UK, the most popular suicide method was carbon monoxide poisoning by oven gas. Eventually, the gas used dropped in its CO content, and suicide rates dropped correspondingly. Other methods of suicide became slightly more frequent, but the overall rate fell dramatically.

http://www.crisis.org.cn/UploadFile/ReadParty/10-Restriction of access to methods of suicide (E).pdf

A lot of times, taking away the easiest means of suicide will cause the person to question whether this is the right decision. As a result, they'll live.
I'm just going to say that this really doesn't make any sense. I don't know one person who wanted to commit suicide that having a method of suicide be illegal or hard to get stop them. There's tons of easy ways to commit suicide, and you may just be pushing people more towards those ways. This comes from personal experience, not a study mind you, take both with a grain of salt.

----------

You are arguing against a conclusive scientific study right now.
There have been "conclusive scientific stud[ies]" that say that being gay can be cured, that the devil causes disease, and tons of other things that I know you don't agree with. Being a "scientific study" means nothing: http://www.ibtimes.com/fake-researc...puter-generated-studies-get-published-1558725

However, (as above) real life experience tends to be right - at least for the person experiencing it.

----------

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

^^ second amendment.

Modernizing the english a bit, and taking out the commas, we get: "As a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

This is basically reason -> effect. It's not saying that the right to keep and bear arms is dependent upon a Militia or service, it's saying that the reasoning for the amendment is that there needed to be a Militia. If it were reasoning, it would have said "The right of the people participating in a well regulated militia to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." It doesn't say that - it makes two independent statements.

Last edited:

allison

Guns should be restricted to some extent. I think people should be allowed to have them, but only with a psych-evaluation, and I think allowing people to buy fully automatic weapons is a bit much. Maybe have a re-evaluation every couple years, and thoroughly document gun purchases. That way, if someone's mental state goes way downhill, their weapons can be seized before they do something horrendous.

There's a reason for the Second Amendment, and so I think stable people should be allowed to bear arms for their own defense, recreational hunting, etc.

And you think that if guns are taken away, the suicide rate will just go down?

Abso-freaking-lutely.

In the UK, the most popular suicide method was carbon monoxide poisoning by oven gas. Eventually, the gas used dropped in its CO content, and suicide rates dropped correspondingly. Other methods of suicide became slightly more frequent, but the overall rate fell dramatically.

http://www.crisis.org.cn/UploadFile/ReadParty/10-Restriction of access to methods of suicide (E).pdf

A lot of times, taking away the easiest means of suicide will cause the person to question whether this is the right decision. As a result, they'll live.

I'm just going to say that this really doesn't make any sense. I don't know one person who wanted to commit suicide that having a method of suicide be illegal or hard to get stop them. There's tons of easy ways to commit suicide, and you may just be pushing people more towards those ways. This comes from personal experience, not a study mind you, take both with a grain of salt.

----------

You are arguing against a conclusive scientific study right now.

There have been "conclusive scientific stud[ies]" that say that being gay can be cured, that the devil causes disease, and tons of other things that I know you don't agree with. Being a "scientific study" means nothing: http://www.ibtimes.com/fake-researc...puter-generated-studies-get-published-1558725

However, (as above) real life experience tends to be right - at least for the person experiencing it.

this

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Stricter gun laws wont do anything... Criminals will still get guns, Chicago is living proof of that. Guns were just made legal to own inside city limits and the gun crime rate hasn't changed in the slightest.

I don't get what you're asking about people who use guns for suicide?
You mean illegal?

And guns aren't just used to murder other people. There's accidents where people get in arguments and it rises to someone getting a gun out in the heat of the moment. And then there's someone who's clinically depressed, etc and kills themselves. Are you saying stricter gun laws that make you have to get a mental/background checks won't save lives?
No. I mean legal. Guns were illegal to own within city limits of Chicago until a couple years ago.

I never said that guns are only used to murder people, I said GUN CRIMES, which can include pull guns in arguments, road rage, etc. Will that save lives? No it wont. In my town, I can go to at least 1 of 10 people on a street or any sketchy gas station and give them cash for a gun. You can do that in many towns. & Even with mental/background checks, things can change suddenly. Someone can be fine 1 day and then 3 months later have something happen that makes them snap.

Making guns illegal or harder to get will never stop criminals from getting guns.
Okay, but I'm not talking about murder at the moment. You don't think someone should be given a background check of records, etc before given a gun?
A mental health check will not stop anyone from committing suicide so what's the point?
Is that a joke? If someone is unstable mentally, you wouldn't hand them a gun....

And I was only addressing suicide at the moment. Not "road rage, etc".
Mental health records (if there are any on someone trying to purchase a gun) are sealed for confidentiality between the patient and the doctor they saw. If someone doesn't have a history of mental instability because they were never seen by a doctor or treated for it, but they are mentally unstable could be subject to a check before purchasing a firearm legally if such a law was implemented. But denying them a legal firearm based on the results of their tests, that won't make them any less suicidal and if they're really looking for a gun, it's not that hard to buy one under the table on the street.

I can see both sides of the coin as far as mental stability and health goes when buying a gun, it's both necessary and somewhat unnecessary in my opinion.

Personally I think in certain states where gun control is more lenient (like Texas for example) those regulations for guns should be more strict. So in my opinion the need for stricter gun regulations is all territorial. There are some states where gun regulations are very strict, and some where they're virtually non-existent. I think there should be a uniform regulation throughout the U.S.

And I also have to agree with Starship on one of his other points. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and that's why background checks in some states are mandated before purchasing a firearm.

I'd also like to say based on other posts I've observed on this thread: You're opening a debate on gun control. The gun control topic has many sub-topics that coincide with it. Those being homocide/suicide/crime rates, various processes (hoops to jump through) to undergo before being able to purchase a firearm, instances and cases of misuse of firearms, crime prevention and various other topics. You can't just open a debate about something and not allow anyone to explore the other sides of the topic and it's various facets. Nothing about the debate of gun control is black and white and sticks to only 1 topic, there's many sides to it and they're all valid contributions to the topic at hand, so a little more respect would be nice.

Monorail

Gun restriction is not solely to reduce suicide, crime, illegal possession of firearms, etc. It is meant to reduce unnecessary death by guns. It's worked in other countries, there have been studies conducted by numerous credible sources, and so on and so fourth.

WHO

[MENTION=58]Yuna[/MENTION]

"Nothing about the debate of gun control is black and white and sticks to only 1 topic, there's many sides to it and they're all valid contributions to the topic at hand, so a little more respect would be nice."

There is no disrespect here. There are several sides to it and at that moment I was talking about 1. Suicide. Not other sub-topics, such as violence onto others. As you said, this is a big topic, hence why I was trying to pin point one topic on the head at the time. I'm sorry you thought my posts were disrespectful.

EDIT: I also disagree with you. Just because people who want to commit suicide are going to find a way to kill themselves either way, doesn't mean we should just hand them a gun to go ahead and get it over with.

Whispered

"Nothing about the debate of gun control is black and white and sticks to only 1 topic, there's many sides to it and they're all valid contributions to the topic at hand, so a little more respect would be nice."

There is no disrespect here. There are several sides to it and at that moment I was talking about 1. Suicide. Not other sub-topics, such as violence onto others. As you said, this is a big topic, hence why I was trying to pin point one topic on the head at the time. I'm sorry you thought my posts were disrespectful.

EDIT: I also disagree with you. Just because people who want to commit suicide are going to find a way to kill themselves either way, doesn't mean we should just hand them a gun to go ahead and get it over with.
but you're solving a problem with something that, in Yuna's mind, isn't going to help at all.

if the suicide rate (as Yuna is arguing for) won't drop significantly with gun control measures, why put them in place to stop suicide?

WHO

but you're solving a problem with something that, in Yuna's mind, isn't going to help at all.

if the suicide rate (as Yuna is arguing for) won't drop significantly with gun control measures, why put them in place to stop suicide?
But it does decrease suicide rates. I'm not sure how that's debatable. A gun is death in one second. Hanging along with other tactics is a struggle and takes a bit longer. A gun is one shot to the head and you're done. A lot more people would rather have a gun and end it right away.

Monorail

See, that's the thing.

Per say, I would say it isn't meant to decrease suicide rates, but rather decrease suicide rates via guns. Sure, some of those people may turn to other methods, but it really is a hard call to make.

From what I've seen, suicide seems to be a very quick decision from an irrational thought process. Suicide is often not "premeditated," unless we're talking about minutes or hours before.* Gun restriction could take away that accessible option, that quick exit for a person. Maybe without access to such an easy means, they will consider the possibility of needing to seek help, or maybe they will call a friend.

Then again, we can't be sure. But the closest thing we can get to "being sure" are the studies that are put out by people funded to collect this information. Reliability may be a factor, but personal experience with yourself and those around you seems marginal compared to the data that paid social scientists can research and collect.

Whispered

But it does decrease suicide rates. I'm not sure how that's debatable. A gun is death in one second. Hanging along with other tactics is a struggle and takes a bit longer. A gun is one shot to the head and you're done. A lot more people would rather have a gun and end it right away.
popping 30 pills is one swig of water (or a few, but it's still very quick, and usually painless). Sure it's reversible, but are we going to ban OTC medications because people can intentionally overdose?

Guns have so many positive things - recreation, security against intruders, etc.

And one mental health exam will only catch the most severe of cases - ones who likely wouldn't be getting guns in the first place anyway. What about the college age girl who has a gun for protection, and then her boyfriend breaks up with her? Or the man who finds out his wife has been cheating on him for years? Or other instances where it's sudden, extreme depression? How are you going to catch those people with a mental health exam? Furthermore, one mental health examination won't catch all persons with mental issues. Someone who's depressed, and getting the exam not because they want help, but because they want a gun, can fudge their answers.

It's not a valid solution.