How do you get your music?

I use Spotify.. xD Convinced my parents to pay for it cause "if we're ever out somewhere & you wanna listen to music I'll log myself in on your phone and you can use it too!"

I use Pandora, Spotify and Grooveshark. For some reason it's hard for me to listen to the same song over and over, so I usually don't buy the song and keep it on my phone. I use Pandora mostly, because I like finding new bands and songs. It keeps me interested. There are a few songs that I really like, and have it on favorites on grooveshark so I can listen to them on replay, but most of the time I use Pandora and Spotify.

Ranch

I can never plug my 3rd gen iPod nano into a pc again, or I'll lose 600 or so songs and about 80 dollars in games they sold back then. It's all awesome music tho, I'm all set.

Been using my phone to blue tooth youtube audio into mah truck a lot lately.. chillout music and alex jones rants.

a lot of the music I listen to is from videogames so I normally have to *cough cough cough*
iTunes has a lot of the soundtracks I like so I'm considering getting an iPod
I'm trying out Spotify because it suggests songs/albums/artists so I don't have to manually search for things
I tried Google Play Music for a while, but its interface wasn't very appealing to me n searching for songs was too annoying

Mossie

Forest Faery and Occasional Pirate
I usually just listen to 8tracks, I like having a mix of songs that match a theme. Otherwise I download them from YouTube for my phone.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
iTunes, and I download youtube videos and convert them through loudtronix in to mp3. I just add the other information once added in to iTunes

mark

10 mins late to everything
wow am i the only one using mp3 downloading things in the playstore i prob bought like 4 songs from itunes bc i get bored of music after i get it after like 2 weeks oooooops

LooseSeal

CDs, vinyl, torrenting, beemp3 (for individual songs), occasionally iTunes if I get a giftcard as a present. It mostly depends on how much I like the band and how much I want to support them. Like if I really love an album, I'll buy the LP or if I really want to support the band I'll download their album or purchase their CD directly from the record label, or sometimes from a merch booth at a show. I guess it depends. I also use spotify for music I really just want to listen to once or don't want to put on my phone. Sometimes Pandora (particularly for studying -- I like film score music. It makes me feel far more epic.).

Anyways, this is a Ted Talk given by Amanda Palmer which I think is fairly relevant to the issue of piracy in music and downloading.
http://www.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking

Also, another talk from Neil Gaiman (this time talking about downloading books, but still relevant)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

Grooveshark! It's the greatest. None of that random-song-based-on-your-initial-selection ********; if you want to hear a song, you got it! Unless you like that, in which case you can turn on Radio mode. You can start your own broadcasts and invite other users to come listen. You can tip the bands you like with Flattr integration. You can find related artists and get suggestions on new music based on your previous listens. You can follow other users and see their collections. You can save music into your collection, save it as a favorite, and build your own playlists. It's online (free), it's mobile (subscription), and there's even a desktop app (subscription). It's beautiful. :please:

As far as owning music, I much prefer cds and vinyl (almost always bought from shows/concerts) to mp3s. There's just something about seeing a physical collection that I find much more satisfying that seeing a list on my computer. Plus you get the artwork, the booklets, the autographs, etc. And you don't have to worry about backing it all up or losing it all in a freak accident. I had a pretty good collection on my computer once and then my hard drive died and I lost it all. No bueno.

Last edited:

Chill

Ohhh, I was confused whether you were asking what method I use to listen to my music vs. how I find new music.

I also use spotify, and pay for premium. Me and my mom share a premium account because we're too frugal to buy 2 separate accounts even though it doesn't let us listen to songs simultaneously, but it works fine because my mom seldom listens to music unless shes doing yoga or something.

For finding new music, well hmm. Me and my mom both share the same music taste and we kinda share songs. She's always listening to obscure radio stations in the car and taking note of the songs so I'll admit to finding a lot of my music through her. If I find a new artist that I like, I stalk them on spotify and see if I like any other songs. Spotify sometimes suggests other artists similar to that group and yeah sometimes I find a gem.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I didn't know this, thank you!
The catch is that the audio is encrypted so you lose the music once you cancel your subscription. Same drill with Google Play All Access. But I'm listening to at least a couple of new albums per month, so $8 is a lot cheaper in the short-term.

Also, I think Spotify launched an ad-supported mobile thing. I don't know if that lets you save the music though.
The app they made is ad-supported and allows you to listen to your playlists from your mobile.

I get my music from Spotify and YouTube. Most artists release (aside from Music Videos) Audio videos as well, or cleverly animated lyric videos. So I just listen to those.

If I really like an artist then I'll buy physical copies of their CDs. If I'm just listening, then rdio is definitely where I go. 8tracks is my favorite place to listen to mixtapes. (: