Votes: 7 18.9%
  • The latest value check thread on forums

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

myVMK Merchant is an application created in C# with the intent of helping users with another opinion on a trade. What I need the community is, a few suggestions.. The application will be done soon.

1) What values would you like it based off of:

Smee's person values
A value check thread
Other

Another issue is, that there is no point to add items that won't really be in trades, such as (buyable items, cheap items, ect).

I need a list of around 50-100 items you guys think that should be on there no matter what.
Obviously I need:

Angel Hat
Black Flip Hat
Candy Cauldron
Clock
DLR Pumpkin
Dream Ears
Dreams Shirt
Firewalls
Gift Card (gc)
Green Flip Flops
Green Flip Hat
Grizzly Graduation Pin
Grumpy Cat goes to Disney
Leroy
Mermaid 1 Pin
Original Princess Minnie
Pink Flip Flops
Pink Flip Hat
Pink Winter Beanie
Pink Winter Jacket
Red Winter Beanie
Red Winter Jacket
Sparrow Outfit
Stitch
Tink Rose Pin
ALL the magics
Rare Room Pins
Rare SITS Pins
JC Pin Set
Khan/Mushu
1x1 Treasure Rug
Waterpark Stitch
Enchanted Rose
Dream Castle Turret
Dream Pirate Turret
Dream Hook Chair
Dream Fireplace
Dream Sofa
GOLD Firewall
GOLD Snowman
PPR Waterfall
Ice Cube Chair
ALL Mickey Ears (above 5k value)
Teal Winter Beanie
Teal Winter Jacket
Purple Winter Beanie
Purple Winter Jacket

from there, and I'm sure I'm missing stuff, what else should be on that list. What's missing?

I really appreciate your effort in trying to help make trading easier for many newer/inexperienced or any trader really, but I'm not sure this would be a good idea. This takes away from trading for what you want instead of trading based on value. I understand value trading is how 3/4 of people trade by, but if this is widely used, I think it might mess up the trade economy even more. Also, values vary greatly between person to person and they also change throughout time, which would cause potential disagreements. If you do create this, please don't use your own personal values, take into account the community's opinion. Regardless, you do you, Smee, please don't let me stop you. Just wanted to share my opinion, sorry if this came off rude, it wasn't my intention.

I really appreciate your effort in trying to help make trading easier for many newer/inexperienced or any trader really, but I'm not sure this would be a good idea. This takes away from trading for what you want instead of trading based on value. I understand value trading is how 3/4 of people trade by, but if this is widely used, I think it might mess up the trade economy even more. Also, values vary greatly between person to person and they also change throughout time, which would cause potential disagreements. If you do create this, please don't use your own personal values, take into account the community's opinion. Regardless, you do you, Smee, please don't let me stop you. Just wanted to share my opinion, sorry if this came off rude, it wasn't my intention.
I could do a set of values from a value check thread. And also offer an option to import your own values if you'd like. This won't harm the market as its for personal use, not really screenshoting around!

I could do a set of values from a value check thread. And also offer an option to import your own values if you'd like. This won't harm the market as its for personal use, not really screenshoting around!
Oh okay, I wasn't sure if it would be like a player interface or what, but if it's just for personal use, I can see how it would help. Thanks for clarifying!

Oh okay, I wasn't sure if it would be like a player interface or what, but if it's just for personal use, I can see how it would help. Thanks for clarifying!
Just a mini app to use if you're ever unsure! Think of it as a dictionary, there is many definitions of a word on several dictionaries out there.. we could call it Smee version. lol

I see no option for "none of the above." People have stopped heavily relying on particular lists of item values which is great because now people are mostly offering/trading for what they want which is how it should be as values fluctuate.
Nobody is forcing anyone to download the application, and I'm offering the use of it as a PERSONAL tool.

Whispered

Does xenforo have an API that you could get any new threads starting with VC or Value Check and pull the content, regex it to find item names matched to a list, then update the price?

That'd be bae tbh.

Does xenforo have an API that you could get any new threads starting with VC or Value Check and pull the content, regex it to find item names matched to a list, then update the price?

That'd be bae tbh.
That actually sounds realistic, but the issue is that would just be random people saying what it's worth.. not actually what it's sold for. If only I had access to trade logs.

Whispered

There's not an api for that. I'm 99% sure. But what you could do is use a simple standard deviation to eliminate outliers so it'd be extremely stable in the long run. For the short term you'd have to populate each one with 5+ values based on whatever (VC threads, trade threads, experience), some but not all of which can be duplicated. After that, it'd resist outliers enough to let it just crawl the trading post forum for new values and people wouldn't be able to influence it significantly with just one thread.

:P stats is fun

There's not an api for that. I'm 99% sure. But what you could do is use a simple standard deviation to eliminate outliers so it'd be extremely stable in the long run. For the short term you'd have to populate each one with 5+ values based on whatever (VC threads, trade threads, experience), some but not all of which can be duplicated. After that, it'd resist outliers enough to let it just crawl the trading post forum for new values and people wouldn't be able to influence it significantly with just one thread.

[emoji14] stats is fun
It'd be a lot easier to use a value thread lol.

Whispered

It'd be a lot easier to use a value thread lol.
Then it requires manual updating. Which, as can be seen now with sparrow parts, could be many times in a single day for it to be accurate. I could summarize the statistics for you, or I could even probably write a crawler and statistician program in python that'd write to a text file that your c# may be able to read? Idk bc I know literally nothing about c#. Just tryna help :P

PHPGuru

myVMK Merchant is an application created in C# with the intent of helping users with another opinion on a trade. What I need the community is, a few suggestions.. The application will be done soon.

1) What values would you like it based off of:

Smee's person values
A value check thread
Other

Another issue is, that there is no point to add items that won't really be in trades, such as (buyable items, cheap items, ect).

I need a list of around 50-100 items you guys think that should be on there no matter what.
Obviously I need:

Angel Hat
Black Flip Hat
Candy Cauldron
Clock
DLR Pumpkin
Dream Ears
Dreams Shirt
Firewalls
Gift Card (gc)
Green Flip Flops
Green Flip Hat
Grizzly Graduation Pin
Grumpy Cat goes to Disney
Leroy
Mermaid 1 Pin
Original Princess Minnie
Pink Flip Flops
Pink Flip Hat
Pink Winter Beanie
Pink Winter Jacket
Red Winter Beanie
Red Winter Jacket
Sparrow Outfit
Stitch
Tink Rose Pin
ALL the magics
Rare Room Pins
Rare SITS Pins
JC Pin Set
Khan/Mushu
1x1 Treasure Rug
Waterpark Stitch
Enchanted Rose
Dream Castle Turret
Dream Pirate Turret
Dream Hook Chair
Dream Fireplace
Dream Sofa
GOLD Firewall
GOLD Snowman
PPR Waterfall
Ice Cube Chair
ALL Mickey Ears (above 5k value)
Teal Winter Beanie
Teal Winter Jacket
Purple Winter Beanie
Purple Winter Jacket

from there, and I'm sure I'm missing stuff, what else should be on that list. What's missing?
As cool as this could be I only agree that This wouldn't be good because I pay 38k-40k for a firewall but once I saw one go for 30k. The only way this works is if the community is constantly using your application and you implement some type of POLL system where players can all enter what values they think its worth and from those numbers you can gather an average and add a disclaimer saying that the values are only AVERAGE and not exact. That way scammers and nice people are both happy ;)

(this way atleast when you see 500,000(average price) for green flips you can then choose what YOU want) But it could be good for new users to get a general sense of value :) So don't give up even if some people on this thread don't believe make it anyways and release it and see what happens!:) Best of Luck!:D[DOUBLEPOST=1433532414][/DOUBLEPOST]
As cool as this could be I only agree that This wouldn't be good because I pay 38k-40k for a firewall but once I saw one go for 30k. The only way this works is if the community is constantly using your application and you implement some type of POLL system where players can all enter what values they think its worth and from those numbers you can gather an average and add a disclaimer saying that the values are only AVERAGE and not exact. That way scammers and nice people are both happy ;)

(this way atleast when you see 500,000(average price) for green flips you can then choose what YOU want) But it could be good for new users to get a general sense of value :) So don't give up even if some people on this thread don't believe make it anyways and release it and see what happens!:) Best of Luck!:D
Sadly this would require you to open up a server so you can store your values so you need to know some CGI scripting language along with MySQL. (I know C++ works as a CGI scripting language with SQL but im not sure about C#)

Last edited:

Whispered

(this way atleast when you see 500,000(average price) for green flips you can then choose what YOU want) But it could be good for new users to get a general sense of value :) So don't give up even if some people on this thread don't believe make it anyways and release it and see what happens!:) Best of Luck!:D[DOUBLEPOST=1433532414][/DOUBLEPOST]

That's why i suggested a part of the program that would crawl the TP subforum every time it was opened for any VC/Value Check/Value/eetc. threads that are new from last time it was opened, and then crawl the content of those threads for messages, run a statistical analysis to eliminate outliers based upon standard deviation, and then update an average. That'd pretty much be a self-stabilizing AI if it started out with at least 5-10 values that were had a small enough SD.

PHPGuru

That's why i suggested a part of the program that would crawl the TP subforum every time it was opened for any VC/Value Check/Value/eetc. threads that are new from last time it was opened, and then crawl the content of those threads for messages, run a statistical analysis to eliminate outliers based upon standard deviation, and then update an average. That'd pretty much be a self-stabilizing AI if it started out with at least 5-10 values that were had a small enough SD.
Either way he's gonna need a server to successfully store data, that way he can pull the stored values from his server that is using your python script to do as you say and grab from a subforum. so unless he knows CGI this is hopeless anyhow. Unless you can think of a better and easier way to store and obtain data. But I cant so.[DOUBLEPOST=1433537194][/DOUBLEPOST]
Then it requires manual updating. Which, as can be seen now with sparrow parts, could be many times in a single day for it to be accurate. I could summarize the statistics for you, or I could even probably write a crawler and statistician program in python that'd write to a text file that your c# may be able to read? Idk bc I know literally nothing about c#. Just tryna help :P
Explain how this would be possible though? Because even if you download is app, and he has the text file in the hiearchy how will it constantly update? You would need to be pu

No matter what language I have ever taken up Ive always seen text-file manipulation in all the standard libraries. But how would this work without a server:P because even with that text file you've created from your script, it will constantly be needing an update for new values. That's where im confused is how youre going to get all this info to be stored.

Last edited:

Whispered

Either way he's gonna need a server to successfully store data, that way he can pull the stored values from his server that is using your python script to do as you say and grab from a subforum. so unless he knows CGI this is hopeless anyhow. Unless you can think of a better and easier way to store and obtain data. But I cant so.
a txt file that's downloaded onto each person's computer then updates from the program running on their computer? That's not *ideal* but it's an alternative to having a server.

The .txt file (or whatever you store it as) would update by a part of the program that runs every time the program is opened - that'd crawl the threads and update the .txt accordingly. Theoretically this shouldn't take long at all on any computer of today, I'm not certian but I'd say 30 s or less at the very most. During this time it'd display a "checking values, hang tight!" or similar.

PHPGuru

Yea it wouldn't be abnormal to have a load time > 30s but you're right. That could work IF you get it working so the program self updates but that's on @Smee to get working. One other thing, how will the program (once freshly opened) know what Forum , then Thread , then Sub-Thread to look into, How will it be able to tell from actually values and people writing ordinary text? How will he in C# copy that data from the form? I can see how he can copy the data but to be looking in the right area is crucial to this programs success. The program may take no time to write, but dam that text manipulation will be intese lmao.

Whispered

a txt file that's downloaded onto each person's computer then updates from the program running on their computer? That's not *ideal* but it's an alternative to having a server.
Yea it wouldn't be abnormal to have a load time > 30s but you're right. That could work IF you get it working so the program self updates but that's on @Smee to get working. One other thing, how will the program (once freshly opened) know what Forum , then Thread , then Sub-Thread to look into, How will it be able to tell from actually values and people writing ordinary text? How will he in C# copy that data from the form? I can see how he can copy the data but to be looking in the right area is crucial to this programs success. The program may take no time to write, but dam that text manipulation will be intese lmao.
Eh, that'd be on whoever's designing the algorithm to look through the TP threads and determine what generally constitues a valid value check thread. Most that start with VC: are fine, etc. then just use some simple regexes to get an item name from a table (possibly the same file used to store data :o), and if it finds a item name in the post, find the next value in the sentence, and add it to the rolling AVG, SD, etc.

PHPGuru

Eh, that'd be on whoever's designing the algorithm to look through the TP threads and determine what generally constitues a valid value check thread. Most that start with VC: are fine, etc. then just use some simple regexes to get an item name from a table (possibly the same file used to store data :o), and if it finds a item name in the post, find the next value in the sentence, and add it to the rolling AVG, SD, etc.
Yes well it could all work sure but just because something works doesnt always mean its right ;P There would be a lot of bugs thats for sure :p But non the less gl @Smee you got a lot of work to do

Status
Not open for further replies.