New retired item (Joke or not?)

that was me. a page was made to trade USD for in game items on facebook. amy didn't say it wasn't allowed, she is even in the group herself.
The magic isn't truly there with you is it.
Okay now nobody panic or anything but...

I'm extremely confused on how to price things and the worth of items in firewalls now.
Do what you did in VMK; trade items for others.

It was sufficient in VMK, for me at least..

Czarcasm

dam thats crazy
that was me. a page was made to trade USD for in game items on facebook. amy didn't say it wasn't allowed, she is even in the group herself.
Oh weird, wasn't aware of that! Just after hearing everyone refer to the trading of GCs for real money as the issue of them being retired I remembered, known now as yours, signature and was kinda put off from it. No biggie though, I obviously didn't know much of it so never mind me lol

no need to be rude.
Sorry if I offend you, but it just sounds lazy. What's the fun of just buying all your wants with money? Sure you have it, go spend it, it's your decision. At the same time, you're sucking the trading aspect, and working for credits, right out of the game. Sure they did it in old VMK when users received Disney Park codes, but that was legitimate.

Just needed to get that out there, sorry again.

dean

For the game's market economy, it's probably the wisest decisions she's made. Gift cards should have never been introduced into VMK. The pricing currency standard was always firewalls, and it was healthy because there was a finite amount of them. When gift cards were introduced into circulation, it became the standard for valuing items and it's detrimental to an economy. You can't sustain an economy with an infinite amount of a commodity as the standard. For example, it's the reason why the US doesn't just print money without taking equal amounts out of circulation. In essence, gift cards were progressing inflation in the game making each gift card in the game less and less valuable. At the start, you could trade 2 gift cards per firewall. Good luck getting that trade as easily now, and it would have been unheard of in the near future if gift cards weren't retired. I know it's unfavorable now, but it will save the economy in the long run.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
The magic isn't truly there with you is it.

Do what you did in VMK; trade items for others.

It was sufficient in VMK, for me at least..
To be honest I was never an avid trader in VMK, and when I played VMK there was a good amount of variety in items available to trade and being released frequently in the shop. We don't exactly have a good variety of items that are worthwhile to other people except super rares, firewalls, clocks etc.

I have no idea now how to price items. Everything's been based on a GC system since everyone got the hang of using them. It was becoming general knowledge that a firewall = x amount of GC's. or Green keys = x amount of gc's. So you knew to price items according to increments of 10k credits, and for corresponding items, how many of those.

Oh dear :faint:

For the game's market economy, it's probably the wisest decisions she's made. Gift cards should have never been introduced into VMK. The pricing currency standard was always firewalls, and it was healthy because there was a finite amount of them. When gift cards were introduced into circulation, it became the standard for valuing items and it's detrimental to an economy. You can't sustain an economy with an infinite amount of a commodity as the standard. For example, it's the reason why the US doesn't just print money without taking equal amounts out of circulation. In essence, gift cards were progressing inflation in the game making each gift card in the game less and less valuable. At the start, you could trade 2 gift cards per firewall. Good luck getting that trade as easily now, and it would have been unheard of in the near future if gift cards weren't retired. I know it's unfavorable now, but it will save the economy in the long run.
Correct me if I'm wrong as I am no economics major...but here's my question:

In real life, you buy something and that money does not get 'deleted'. Instead it continues to serve a purpose by which it is the shopkeepers decision what he/she decides to do with the money.
In MyVMK, when you buy something or say, sell a gift card, that gift card is deleted. It cannot be used anymore.

In that sense, doesn't it not cause inflation?

to respond to a few ppl, there are many in game who don't trade well and would never be able to work their way up to the items they want. trading for cash gives them a way to get the items they would like in game..

Enso

selling gc 2 euros a pop
edit: pm in the next 5 minutes i throw in a gc
edit2: use coupon code PLZ and get gc for only one euro
edit3: 50% off your purchase of more than 5 gcs if you pay in yen
edit4: buy more than 10 gc i throw in bling shirt
edit5: stock is low make orders fast free shipping limited time
edit6: sold out of gc special price if you preorder new shipment soon
edit7: players who bought our product before are eligible for one of out many service representatives to play fireworks on your account for an hour for free
edit8: personal fireworks trainer $9.99
edit9: now called fireworks personal trainer and is 10% off
edit10: now accepting habbo accounts as a form of payment

Last edited:

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!

In real life, you buy something and that money does not get 'deleted'. Instead it continues to serve a purpose by which it is the shopkeepers decision what he/she decides to do with the money.
In MyVMK, when you buy something or say, sell a gift card, that gift card is deleted. It cannot be used anymore.

I think he's referring to when the economy contracts and money flow contracts, some money is taken out of circulation and is actually destroyed per the Federal Reserve's orders. As in the money taken out of circulation is physically shredded or destroyed. Like when they change the face of a bill (most recently the 50s, and 100s - they're now this off blue color, they look fake, and they smell awful). They try to take out of circulation as much as possible the old face of that bill so it can be replaced with the new one. It's being replaced in the way that the old bills are being physically destroyed, so the new bills can take their place.

(Explanation: http://www.theatlantic.com/business...of-money-who-does-it-why-when-and-how/236990/)

----------

to respond to a few ppl, there are many in game who don't trade well and would never be able to work their way up to the items they want. trading for cash gives them a way to get the items they would like in game..
Honestly I don't agree with the method of trading real world money for virtual items in an unsecured transaction, but I will admit that's a fair argument to make in favor of RWT.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to when the economy contracts and money flow contracts, some money is taken out of circulation and is actually destroyed per the Federal Reserve's orders. As in the money taken out of circulation is physically shredded or destroyed. Like when they change the face of a bill (most recently the 50s, and 100s - they're now this off blue color, they look fake, and they smell awful). They try to take out of circulation as much as possible the old face of that bill so it can be replaced with the new one. It's being replaced in the way that the old bills are being physically destroyed, so the new bills can take their place.

(Explanation: http://www.theatlantic.com/business...of-money-who-does-it-why-when-and-how/236990/)
so... you're saying Amy is taking out the old gift cards and putting in new ones? or can you elaborate what dean is saying with his post and also referring to what you posted?

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
so... you're saying Amy is taking out the old gift cards and putting in new ones? or can you elaborate what dean is saying with his post and also referring to what you posted?
Well I was mostly explaining the real world section of his statement further because you stated that money isn't deleted in real life, and essentially it is in a sense because it's shredded. And while the actual gift card pins were deleted, the credits weren't because you were awarded those credits when you sold them, so essentially it was the same concept. The gift cards were being filtered out so your credits could be filtered in, meaning the gift cards were destroyed so you could get your credits, just like old money is destroyed so you can get your new money. Know what I mean?

Now personally I only just found out about this retirement through this thread and then seeing it in game myself afterwards. But if has been repeated multiple times now on this thread that [MENTION=1]Amy[/MENTION] has said the gift cards would be replaced with something.

So if that's true, then yes it would end up being the same concept of filtering out old currency and filtering in new currency by means of rotation in the economy's circulation of currency standards.

Last edited:

dean

The thing is, there is a set limit amount of dollars in circulation in the US. There is a finite amount of physical dollars which is calculated to make sure values of items stay stable. Thing is in VMK, credits are pumped into the game non stop through mini games. Mini games themselves cause inflation, but at much slower rates. That's why we haven't seen another "double credit day" because it pumps credits at really fast rates, inflating prices because everyone has tons and tons of credits, making items super expensive since it's easy to get credits on those types of occasions. That's why mini games in MMO's are usually difficult to play with very little credit reward, to make the inevitable a slower process. In concerns to Gift Cards, it makes credits itself a trading item. In original vmk, credits weren't a trading item. Only few people traded for credits because it was difficult due to how easy it was to scam, and wasn't popular. When you trade credits, everyone begins to have tons of them. For newer players who try to "get rich quick" just slave themselves to mini games to make tons of credits to trade them for items. The result now is that everyone has tons of credits. If everyone has credits, it makes them less and less valuable. Now that everyone has all these credits, they have high purchasing power, being able to buy things that become retired at much higher rates, (aka magics). Magics can be bought so much more easily now since everyone can just trade junk for a gift card and magics become devalued. I know this may be a little confusing but it's economic law really and it is super important to keep the rate of credits in a game as slow of a process as possible. And also, the US government actually shreds money, literally to make sure the amount in circulation stays stable. Hope this helps!

The thing is, there is a set limit amount of dollars in circulation in the US. There is a finite amount of physical dollars which is calculated to make sure values of items stay stable. Thing is in VMK, credits are pumped into the game non stop through mini games. Mini games themselves cause inflation, but at much slower rates. That's why we haven't seen another "double credit day" because it pumps credits at really fast rates, inflating prices because everyone has tons and tons of credits, making items super expensive since it's easy to get credits on those types of occasions. That's why mini games in MMO's are usually difficult to play with very little credit reward, to make the inevitable a slower process. In concerns to Gift Cards, it makes credits itself a trading item. In original vmk, credits weren't a trading item. Only few people traded for credits because it was difficult due to how easy it was to scam, and wasn't popular. When you trade credits, everyone begins to have tons of them. For newer players who try to "get rich quick" just slave themselves to mini games to make tons of credits to trade them for items. The result now is that everyone has tons of credits. If everyone has credits, it makes them less and less valuable. Now that everyone has all these credits, they have high purchasing power, being able to buy things that become retired at much higher rates, (aka magics). Magics can be bought so much more easily now since everyone can just trade junk for a gift card and magics become devalued. I know this may be a little confusing but it's economic law really and it is super important to keep the rate of credits in a game as slow of a process as possible. And also, the US government actually shreds money, literally to make sure the amount in circulation stays stable. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your explanation. However, what about the fact that gift cards are not like real currency because once you buy something from the shop, the credits get deleted. While in real life, money does not get deleted, it gets reused. Therefore I understand that printing real money causes inflation because there is no 'exit' for the money....

I apologize for being so persistent but I find this topic of the MyVMK economy quite interesting :)

dean

Thank you for your explanation. However, what about the fact that gift cards are not like real currency because once you buy something from the shop, the credits get deleted. While in real life, money does not get deleted, it gets reused. Therefore I understand that printing real money causes inflation because there is no 'exit' for the money....

I apologize for being so persistent but I find this topic of the MyVMK economy quite interesting :)
No problem! it's extremely interesting for sure. I think you're missing the part about how credits can just be created out of thin air. In real life, yes money doesn't get deleted, but it also doesn't get created, there is an exact amount of money in circulation. You're right about how in VMK, credits do get deleted once you buy something, however, the amount of credits in game vs what is bought is high ratio. Tons more people are "hoarding" credits more than buying items. And when they do buy items, it's gift cards, making gift cards increasingly devalued. This law is two fold as well because as more gift cards come into circulation, the demand for them goes down extremely making them even more devalued. The reason why it's a big deal that credits don't get devalued, is because credits are used to buy everything in game. Now that gift cards have made it so easy to buy things in vmk, stuff on sale like pins and clothing become worthless too, hurting the economy. If one person has a gift card, they can buy 19 pins on sale for example. If everyone spends one gift card on just the new pin on sale, everyone will have full lanyards plus extras making that pin virtually worthless. Hope this is making things a little more clearer!

I think once Pirates or Haunted Mansion comes out, the acquisition of credits would be a lot easier. Therefore it could be a good time to raise the prices of shop items to something that will deflate the economy and balance out the GCs - albeit that may not be super effective.

In a bias thought, since I have no GCs, I'd say delete all GCs!!!

GCs weren't a bad idea, they just came way too soon (How many items are there still to be released? I've heard a lot are left.)