Pray for Paris Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I see both Kara and Jacob's points, but I feel like this is where it gets off topic/argumentative. I think the intention of the pin was to show support for our fallen peers, not to be "in-game swag." Although it may come off to some as the latter, now that it's been clarified, I think we can all honor what the original intention was. You still may not be in favor of the pin, and that's fine, but I think it's important to at least acknowledge what the intentions were behind the suggestion.

Stacysmom

I've got it going on
I understand that what happened in Paris is terrible and agree with the message myself but @Karalora is right it's really not a pin out of positivity, also it's really a political topic which I just personally don't feel should cross over with this childhood disney game that we play. My prayers go out to Paris and anyone affected in Beirut and Baghdad just as much as anyone else, but what's happening is a serious, war-like situation that I just don't think should be monopolized in game. Imagine Russia and Germany were at war and Germany got bombed, should vmk then have pins to support Germany because we are allies with them rather than Russia? It's just too political for a fun game, in my opinion.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
It doesn't matter how anyone perceives it. The pins are in-game swag. That's their function--to be trinkets you can get in the game. If you want to show support for the victims, donate actual money to the Red Cross or something.
I don't think people were going to use the pin in game and consider that their "support." You can still buy the pin and contribute financially/etc.

Karalora

I don't think people were going to use the pin in game and consider that their "support." You can still buy the pin and contribute financially/etc.
In which case the pin is an entirely extraneous, purposeless bauble.

A pin will not provide real support in any case. If people think it will, they are seriously misguided. If they know it won't but want one anyway, then what can we conclude but that they want a decoration themed to this senseless horror?

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
In which case the pin is an entirely extraneous, purposeless bauble.

A pin will not provide real support in any case. If people think it will, they are seriously misguided. If they know it won't but want one anyway, then what can we conclude but that they want a decoration themed to this senseless horror?
Isn't everything in this game extraneous, purposeless bauble?

Again, nobody is saying that by adding the pin into the game, they won't have to support those affected by the terrorist attack. The idea was merely suggested to show support; the same reason they're lighting up national monuments/people are wearing t-shirts/etc. We're still doing what we can do to help, but these tokens are there to constantly remind us of the tragedy so we won't forget.

I'm gonna take the minority position here and say: No. No pin for this. We shouldn't use a gruesome tragedy to get more in-game swag, even with good intentions. I think we can safely assume everyone who plays MyVMK is deeply saddened by the events in Paris and elsewhere. There's no need to advertise it with a digital trinket.
This is worded perfectly! NO need at all for a pin to reference a tragedy. @Karalora and @Stacysmom are completely right. This is a Disney game having nothing to do with politics or wars or anything of that nature whatsoever, no point in even relating these two things at all. The end.

Karalora

I think I came across more abrasive than I meant to last night. After a night's sleep, I've developed some more clarity about my position:

The pins in MyVMK are collectible items. Players buy them, trade, them, win them, sell them, get them automatically for logging on during a calendar holiday. They're prizes for playing at certain times and in certain ways. If we do acknowledge the Paris tragedy in-game, I don't want it to be on the same level as Tsums or Cuties or Zombie Magic. That seems incredibly cheap to me--making this horrific event collectible. Because it would be, even if no one intends it that way. That's how the pins work.

Not to mention, what about Baghdad and Beirut, which also suffered terrorist bombings on Friday? Should those get their own little heart-shaped pins decorated with the Iraqi and Lebanese flags, announced with great fanfare in the Newsletter? Should this become a MyVMK "tradition"? The prospect quite chills me, to be honest.

Like I said in my first post--I think we can safely assume we all support the victims of the bombings. We don't need to "prove" it with a pin.

Jacob

Professional Housewife
I understand that what happened in Paris is terrible and agree with the message myself but @Karalora is right it's really not a pin out of positivity, also it's really a political topic which I just personally don't feel should cross over with this childhood disney game that we play. My prayers go out to Paris and anyone affected in Beirut and Baghdad just as much as anyone else, but what's happening is a serious, war-like situation that I just don't think should be monopolized in game. Imagine Russia and Germany were at war and Germany got bombed, should vmk then have pins to support Germany because we are allies with them rather than Russia? It's just too political for a fun game, in my opinion.
This is worded perfectly! NO need at all for a pin to reference a tragedy. @Karalora and @Stacysmom are completely right. This is a Disney game having nothing to do with politics or wars or anything of that nature whatsoever, no point in even relating these two things at all. The end.
its a little late to talk about adding politics/adult topics to the game when we already have pins such as Love Wins or Lets Roll. we are all adults i dont know why we're acting like we can't handle these topics

The pins in MyVMK are collectible items. Players buy them, trade, them, win them, sell them, get them automatically for logging on during a calendar holiday. They're prizes for playing at certain times and in certain ways. If we do acknowledge the Paris tragedy in-game, I don't want it to be on the same level as Tsums or Cuties or Zombie Magic. That seems incredibly cheap to me--making this horrific event collectible. Because it would be, even if no one intends it that way. That's how the pins work.
it would not be to TRADE it would be a ONE CREDIT pin. it would be in no way on the same level as either of those things. It could even be a non-tradeable login pin.

I'm not offended. I just don't think it's a good idea. I know it was brought up with the best of intentions, but I think it's rather tacky.

Let's Roll is different; it was a memorial years after the fact, whereas the Paris tragedy is only a day old. Love Wins was also different, as a celebration of something many people saw as a good, positive occurrence.
I would have to disagree with you on this. My reason for disagreeing is because a day after the Paris attack people went to the France section of Epcot and started making a memorial. We have players in this game that are from France, so I think that it would be nice to have the pin as a way of showing support and people care about them. I don't think that it's tacky, if it were, in my opinion at least, then the ones that were made for 9/11, love wins, Robin Williams, and the partners statue pins would be considered tacky as well. Keep in mind the Robin Williams pin was made a day after he passed. See the reason why a deal is being made about showing support for France is because France is an ally to the United States and when we were attacked a majority of the French citizens welcomed Americans into their homes for comfort because they could not get out because all flights were grounded. The Canadians have done this too as well. So needless to say a heart shaped flag pin in game shows sign of support and someone who is directly affected may see it and smile a bit because they can see that people from around the world care. It doesn't hurt to show love for one another.

Jacob

Professional Housewife
I would have to disagree with you on this. My reason for disagreeing is because a day after the Paris attack people went to the France section of Epcot and started making a memorial. We have players in this game that are from France, so I think that it would be nice to have the pin as a way of showing support and people care about them. I don't think that it's tacky, if it were, in my opinion at least, then the ones that were made for 9/11, love wins, Robin Williams, and the partners statue pins would be considered tacky as well. Keep in mind the Robin Williams pin was made a day after he passed. See the reason why a deal is being made about showing support for France is because France is an ally to the United States and when we were attacked a majority of the French citizens welcomed Americans into their homes for comfort because they could not get out because all flights were grounded. The Canadians have done this too as well. So needless to say a heart shaped flag pin in game shows sign of support and someone who is directly affected may see it and smile a bit because they can see that people from around the world care. It doesn't hurt to show love for one another.
you worded this perfectly

I'm sorry but primarily supporting Paris with a new pin isn't fairly supporting all victims of recent terrorism, if you want to show support like the people in Epcot then just wear a lanyard of World Showcase France pins. It's biased to just want a Paris pin when attacks happened in other countries on the same day. Even if you requested pins for the other countries involved, it'd become a matter of which side you stand on and which country you support more, which if that's a discussion you want to have then fine but when I log on to vmk I want to log on to see members dressed as their favorite disney character discussing something fun and not members dressed as their political standpoint discussing which country they favor in a war

If anyone has any suggestions designed up for pins of the other flags, I would love to see them as well. It's not really a form of political debate, at least in my opinion it's not, its more of supporting someone who supported you when you were at your worst. If people want to wear the flags representing the other countries then that's fine. If someone just wants to primarily wear France's flag then that's fine as well. I just don't understand the uproar over wanting to show support to a country that has helped the U.S. citizens in their time of need. If all the flags were designed as heart shaped pins, that would be awesome because we can show that we're all united.[DOUBLEPOST=1447624330][/DOUBLEPOST]
simply and beautifully said
Thank you :)

If this were to be implemented I think our players of France should have the final say. Many people use this game as an escape from the real life they're stuck in, imagine living through such a traumatic experience and then being reminded of it every time you logged on. For some people they may see "support," but for others it may simply trigger horrific memories and I think that needs to be respected.

Personally I believe it's a beautiful design by @Jacob, but I feel that it shouldn't be in the game. This is a very political driven topic and it was neither a happy occasion nor does it directly correlate to the Disney brand like the pins for Walt and Robin Williams did. I believe we're past the point of creating awareness of the situation, if the purchase of a pin could somehow benefit those in need then I would be all for it, but it doesn't it's merely something to show off.

MissMitzy

RIP Mitzy 7/21/15
Not to mention, what about Baghdad and Beirut, which also suffered terrorist bombings on Friday? Should those get their own little heart-shaped pins decorated with the Iraqi and Lebanese flags, announced with great fanfare in the Newsletter?
With the amount of tragedies that happened this week, I would rather see one pin that includes the world then one that shows support for one country. There were multiple bombings, two earthquakes, death threats at a well known public university... Paris was not the only one to suffer. I like @Jacob 's design, but I feel like by supporting one country during the a time of world crisis could be somewhat offensive. I would also like to agree with @Youtherevmk on letting the players of France decide if they want a pin. I've seen things on social media that make me feel like it should be decided by the those players, without input from other countries.

That being said, I see lots of good intentions on this post, and it makes me happy that some of our community is trying to support each other. But a big reminder: everyone has the right to their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.