Shoutbox Trivia & Awards

Fiyero

They could have the chat on an external website.
That still costs money. Money which could be put elsewhere, if spent at all. I'm positive Amy and the Staff don't have money to just throw at companies to host a chatroom
Not if they use a free chat software.
Free Chat software doesn't offer near enough features to moderate the chat as they would undoubtedly want to. Free is nice, but it also means lots of spammers and people not following the rules, with nothing they could do about it. And if you do find a free chat software with good moderation features, they have a limit of around 10 people at a time.

Jasmine

The problem with this is most chatboxes take up a huge amount of resources for a server. So on top of having to worry about covering a server for the game (which could be a better server imo) and a server for the forums, they would have to spend extra money to make sure the chat room doesn't bog down the forum server and make it excruciatingly slow when doing simple things like browsing and replying to threads.
In that case, why worry about having a chat at all? And then why try to hold events in a shoutbox? That makes no sense to me.
The shoutbox lags when a certain amount of people are in it. They've known this since the day the forum opened...

I don't think they should go out and spend a lot of money on a chatbox, but there are some free ones that don't use up much space and can accommodate enough users. For example, the one OVMKF had. You really don't have to worry about moderation issues if you find a chatbox that integrates well with vB.

I think it's good they decided to try something new out, but it's not going to work in a shoutbox. And if having a real chatbox isn't an option, then I don't think it'll work at all, to be honest.

So I agree with you, but I also agree with Andrew; I just think they need to look at other options. I've been saying this forever. :sulk:

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
Why the heck do you people feel the need to spit back at each other? By all means, keep bickering back and forth as if it improves anything.

Fiyero

In that case, why worry about having a chat at all? And then why try to hold events in a shoutbox? That makes no sense to me.
The shoutbox lags when a certain amount of people are in it. They've known this since the day the forum opened...

I don't think they should go out and spend a lot of money on a chatbox, but there are some free ones that don't use up much space and can accommodate enough users. For example, the one OVMKF had. You really don't have to worry about moderation issues if you find a chatbox that integrates well with vB.

I think it's good they decided to try something new out, but it's not going to work in a shoutbox. And if having a real chatbox isn't an option, then I don't think it'll work at all, to be honest.

So I agree with you, but I also agree with Andrew; I just think they need to look at other options. I've been saying this forever. :sulk:
In my opinion, the forum is for posting threads and replying to threads. There isn't really a need to have a chatroom and/or a shoutbox for a forum that is directly run by the game that it's for. The game is our chatroom. Keep the forum awards to the games, except maybe one or two that recognize helpful members of the community, and people you can ask for help. Otherwise, no.

@fido touche C: lol but I am referring to a specific incident

anyway I do agree that this was a little haphazardly thrown together and a little messy... tbh I don't know what would be the best way to go about this seeing as you have to spend what is it? like 200 just to get chat add-on? I think...

Jasmine

In my opinion, the forum is for posting threads and replying to threads. There isn't really a need to have a chatroom and/or a shoutbox for a forum that is directly run by the game that it's for. The game is our chatroom. Keep the forum awards to the games, except maybe one or two that recognize helpful members of the community, and people you can ask for help. Otherwise, no.
Yeah, that was exactly my point. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. xD

Fiyero

I feel like the forum staff just want to make the forums more relevant when there is absolutely no need for them to be. It is just a nice compliment to the game. It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Oh well ?\_(ツ)_/?

WHO

I feel like the forum staff just want to make the forums more relevant when there is absolutely no need for them to be. It is just a nice compliment to the game. It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Oh well ?\_(ツ)_/?

i couldn't agree more. also the forums should be fan run with no game affiliation

Jasmine

i couldn't agree more. also the forums should be fan run with no game affiliation
It's times like these when we need that like button...

You're right, though. Too much importance is being placed on the forum. I also agree that it should be fan run... I suggested that to Amy back when the forum was on phpbb. I think a fan forum wouldn't have as much drama, honestly. :/

Fiyero

agreed. I used to think that it being run hand in hand might be good for it, but I'm quickly realizing that I was very wrong. Amy needs to find someone to run a fan forums that the game can endorse, but not be apart of. It's not working out

Andrew

The problem with this is most chatboxes take up a huge amount of resources for a server. So on top of having to worry about covering a server for the game (which could be a better server imo) and a server for the forums, they would have to spend extra money to make sure the chat room doesn't bog down the forum server and make it excruciatingly slow when doing simple things like browsing and replying to threads.

This.

I have played many chat games before and I can assure you they work best in an actual chat room. I also think they work better when they are run by a bot (which automatically does everything) rather than an actual human. With a bot, (in the case of trivia) it can ask the question, declare the person who got it correct first, award that person with points, and tally up the points/keep score and declare a final winner after a certain number of questions. I understand this may be too much work for staff but if they want chat games to work then that is one option which greatly improves the whole chat game experience or process.

Whispered

That still costs money. Money which could be put elsewhere, if spent at all. I'm positive Amy and the Staff don't have money to just throw at companies to host a chatroom
freenode.net irc - having a room for this wouldn't be strictly on topic for their network, but they don't really care unless you take up 10000000000 pounds of resources.

Andrew

freenode.net irc - having a room for this wouldn't be strictly on topic for their network, but they don't really care unless you take up 10000000000 pounds of resources.
Yes. I have used freenode before and it works quite well.

I mean, I don't like it, but it is nice to see some people having their fun with it. ^_^
Just get over it guys. They weren't required to do this. They did it because they love the game.
I agree with these posts whole-heartedly.

Sure it wasn't the cleanest execution, but it was a fun idea...They didn't have to do this for us. Why can't we just have fun with it or ignore it? :)

Can I just remind you that you don't have to participate in the trivia - we will have awards for other things also.

It's just something new and to be honest, the majority of people that were there and answered (got up to 100) seemed to actually enjoy it :)