You're all wrong

Everyone seems to want to overlook this fact:

That's how many of these items there are in the game.
There are quite a few traders who have started to learn this, but not everybody knows it, so I think it's worth mentioning.

Even Amy acknowledges this fallacy:

Yes, that's me rocking the superhero suit and heels. Yes, I know I'm hawt.

From now on, I'm going to be selling my churros at a 33 percent markup of whatever fire walls are worth at the time of trade.
I think everyone is massively undervaluing fire walls now anyway. If anything, they should be gaining in worth as the time since they've been retired increases, not decreasing in worth... to me fire walls are worth about 12,000 credits each. That's only slightly more than the price everyone was trading them for a few months ago. This is especially true if you buy into the notion that credits are supposedly quicker and easier to get now from fireworks than when the shell game was actually worthwhile.

And for the record...

They're worth at least 7 walls, not 5
(or 9.3 churros)

Whispered

See, you're totally right.

Except people's demand isn't factored in. People like fire walls more than churros, and more than clocks (arguably). That's why they're "worth" more.

See, you're totally right.

Except people's demand isn't factored in. People like fire walls more than churros, and more than clocks (arguably). That's why they're "worth" more.
Meh people in this game always have and always will buy things just because they're the rarest items around. It's all for show and totally pointless, but it's the way people seem to function here.
I think people will start liking churros more than fire walls once everyone on MyVMK starts to catch on that they're worth more.

The problem is how many of those walls are for trade? With a small number for trade and a larger number of people looking for the item, it becomes worth more. Anyway, as Whispered stated, people would rather have firewalls.

The problem is how many of those walls are for trade? With a small number for trade and a larger number of people looking for the item, it becomes worth more. Anyway, as Whispered stated, people would rather have firewalls.
As stated, people will rather have churros once enough everyone starts to realize that they're worth significantly more than fire walls.

I think everyone can agree right now that people would rather have a single clock than multiple fire walls... but the question is why?
The fire walls are stackable, can toggle between two settings, and shoot animated flames whereas the clock is an inanimate object that can only take up space in a room.
Obviously the answer is that the clocks are worth more, even if they're a less exciting item, so more people are going to want them.

And so this mentality dictates that...

Plus, I've seen people use 20, 30, or even 40 firewalls to decorate one room. You can't really do that with churro carts.

EDIT: there's still a significant difference between the number of clocks and churro carts, so that's not a fair analogy.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
It's all a matter of opinion and the popular opinion in the game is that firewalls are more valuable.

I do agree that clocks are more valuable, but due to the demand of the firewall it will always be greater than churros. I also think firewalls will always be higher than churro carts as they simply look better. At best I could see churro carts going 1 for 1 with a firewall, never 1 churro cart for a fire wall and more. It really does depend on if a person really needs one or not though.

What I don't agree with, and is my opinion, is that you're saying a item that was sold at 750 credits is now 12,000 credits? If that's true then geez I don't want to find out how quickly it will be at 20,000. I just find that to be silly. These credit values of items seem to keep going up at a ridiculous rate. I understand this is your opinion but this is just my reaction if this actually becomes true -_-

Ms_Special

There is a higher demand for the walls. If someone offered me four churros or two walls, I would choose the walls every time. It also ties into personal preference. I see no value in churros, and I have full confidence that fire walls will always be an in demand item.

I believe that this stats site is driving each of us into a frenzy. Yes, there ARE more walls. But most would prefer to have 50 walls, versus 50 churros.

E.g. Say there are 3,000 iPhones but only 600 droids. Yes, the droid is far and in between compared to the iPhone, but there is a demand for the iPhones, the benefits and features. That's why even though there are more iPhones, people pay $600 for it versus $200 for droid. (numbers not accurate, I understand that people DO pay $600 for droids, this is for example purposes only)

Same can be said on the Walls vs Churros debate. We place higher value on the walls because of the benefits and features. I understand why this is upsetting, but churros don't offer the same appeal as walls. Simple as that.

Meh people in this game always have and always will buy things just because they're the rarest items around. It's all for show and totally pointless, but it's the way people seem to function here.
I think people will start liking churros more than fire walls once everyone on MyVMK starts to catch on that they're worth more.
What if we factor stackability and other such things into the equation though? Furnishing exist to furnish a room, and since Churro Carts aren't stackable, they have zero demand in high quantities. They will never, ever be worth more because of this. I could use 50 firewalls in one room if I wanted. I could never really use more than 10 or so Firewalls. The items themselves are not 1:1 values. It's not just personal preference. From an objective standpoint, I have more use trading for 10 Firewalls than 10 Churro carts. It's not just that Firewalls are stackable and animated either. It's also that they belong to a better family of items. How many items in the same theme as Churro Carts are there? Not many. It's a theme with little viability for building rooms. Pirates, on the other hand, is highly supported. Many items exist to support Firewalls in the room building process, therefore, long term, Firewalls have more usefulness. People seem to forget that that furnish has no use outside of guest rooms, and rarely is going to be used on its own.

tl:dr;
Quality of item > Quantity of item in determining value

Ranch

love the debate.. I'd say firewalls still trump churro carts.. good builders need 4 to 8 firewalls for a good design.. but anytime you need a churro cart, putting more than one can be overkill.

First of all, as others have pointed out, firewalls are more useful in building, stackable, and you can have dozens of them in a room. This is the same reason gas masks are less valuable than invisibility magics: there are more magics, but people want 5* magic, or they want multiple. You don't need more than 1 gas mask.

Second of all, in my opinion this thread is meant to manipulate the value of churros in your favor. There are only what, 1k active members playing? There's no reason to tell people what they're trading is "wrong" when trade right now is so subjective.

Monorail

The economy is solely influenced by what people are willing to trade. Facts mean nothing to people that pay what they want. Not that their wrong, it's just how economies work.

Anthony

There is a higher demand for the walls. If someone offered me four churros or two walls, I would choose the walls every time. It also ties into personal preference. I see no value in churros, and I have full confidence that fire walls will always be an in demand item.

I believe that this stats site is driving each of us into a frenzy. Yes, there ARE more walls. But most would prefer to have 50 walls, versus 50 churros.

E.g. Say there are 3,000 iPhones but only 600 droids. Yes, the droid is far and in between compared to the iPhone, but there is a demand for the iPhones, the benefits and features. That's why even though there are more iPhones, people pay $600 for it versus $200 for droid. (numbers not accurate, I understand that people DO pay $600 for droids, this is for example purposes only)

Same can be said on the Walls vs Churros debate. We place higher value on the walls because of the benefits and features. I understand why this is upsetting, but churros don't offer the same appeal as walls. Simple as that.
This is actually a really great analogy haha.

Sure there are more firewalls than churro carts, but one thing that cannot be overlooked is that although there is a high amount of firewalls not all of those firewalls are being traded around. The firewalls are a must have for many builders, who are the main buyers in the long run. Many of the people who own firewalls or are looking for them are planning on stocking them up for future builds. So the amount of firewalls that are actually being traded around could be much lower than the amount in the game, resulting in the high demand and the high price of the walls.

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
I agree with this. ugh. But the people WANT whats cool. Here's a fact: Zebra pin is rarest out of all. only 100. yet lion is or toucan is more "respected" ?

Lost

I think everyone is massively undervaluing fire walls now anyway
If anything, they should be gaining in worth as the time since they've been retired increases, not decreasing in worth...
This is especially true if you buy into the notion that credits are supposedly quicker and easier to get now from fireworks than when the shell game was actually worthwhile.
They're worth at least 7 walls, not 5
(or 9.3 churros)
1. Just because people don't value firewalls as high as you doesn't mean they are being undervalued. If a vast majority is valuing them less then you, then it's more likely you're overvaluing them.
2. The fact that an item isn't available doesn't mean it will keep going up in price. Supply and demand.
3. There are A LOT more items now and people want a lot fo the new items and other retired items. When firewalls were the only retired item, they held a higher value, now there are more retired items and more new items, firewalls are no longer on that pedestal.
4. The amount of items isn't a direct correlation to worth.

A lot of your argument ignores a lot of key factors in economics. Firstly supply does NOT equal demand. They both tend to fluctuate a lot. Some good examples have been given already. Firewalls were out 1 day and 3500 ish bought. Churro carts, at the same price were sold, what?, a week? and only 2200 were bought. This clearly shows how less in-demand they are.

Also circulation. In the terms of churro carts and firewalls, there are a lot of churro carts in trading circulation because people dont want bulk of them. A lot of people want 40 firewalls and maybe 2 churro carts. At those numbers there are 13x more churro carts than people want. Again supply and demand.

The fact you consider amount is a direct correlation to worth annoys me a lot, sure it's a factor but just because there is 3000 of 1 item and 1000 of another doesn't make the latter worth 3x more.

/rant

Geggy

1. Just because people don't value firewalls as high as you doesn't mean they are being undervalued. If a vast majority is valuing them less then you, then it's more likely you're overvaluing them.
2. The fact that an item isn't available doesn't mean it will keep going up in price. Supply and demand.
3. There are A LOT more items now and people want a lot fo the new items and other retired items. When firewalls were the only retired item, they held a higher value, now there are more retired items and more new items, firewalls are no longer on that pedestal.
4. The amount of items isn't a direct correlation to worth.

A lot of your argument ignores a lot of key factors in economics. Firstly supply does NOT equal demand. They both tend to fluctuate a lot. Some good examples have been given already. Firewalls were out 1 day and 3500 ish bought. Churro carts, at the same price were sold, what?, a week? and only 2200 were bought. This clearly shows how less in-demand they are.

Also circulation. In the terms of churro carts and firewalls, there are a lot of churro carts in trading circulation because people dont want bulk of them. A lot of people want 40 firewalls and maybe 2 churro carts. At those numbers there are 13x more churro carts than people want. Again supply and demand.

The fact you consider amount is a direct correlation to worth annoys me a lot, sure it's a factor but just because there is 3000 of 1 item and 1000 of another doesn't make the latter worth 3x more.

/rant
I'm not sure there's anything in this post that I disagree with.

If there were 1xFrying Pan and 1xInferno Magic Pin in the game...which would be worth more? :D