just a what if.

what if everything -- every item, article of clothing, room, etc -- was made available to every user simultaneously. and there was no economy. we just built and chatted and played and were all content.

what is the general consensus on something like this.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
IMO, it sort of takes away the fun of the game. Like if you did well at a mini game you wouldn't get anything for it because as you said there would be no economy.

what if everything -- every item, article of clothing, room, etc -- was made available to every user simultaneously. and there was no economy. we just built and chatted and played and were all content.

what is the general consensus on something like this.
I'd support this for a secondary server for players testing things.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
{Trading was a major part in VMK. Without an economy, it'd basically be pointless and extremely boring. No offense.

-Tessa

Well I always thought like it would be a good idea at the very start of the game and then have an economy evolve around new items which would then become rares. Just please, staff, whatever you do don't start the game off with rares, at least not until it is stable and we are sure that people are mature enough to handle it.

Jasmine

I don't think it'd be boring...that is, unless you automatically had access to everything without even buying anything. If you just mean trading wouldn't be such a huge deal, then it's a great idea.

I was on an MMO years ago called Muichiz. It used Activeworlds; you bought a handheld game and connected it to your computer via a usb port. There was no trading, and the game was great. There was no "rare" and the game was great... And there were only 4 "worlds" to be honest. You automatically had access to one world depending on what your character was. (The other "world" was the main one -- where you landed when you logged in. You automatically had access to it too. It had stores, a bank, a hotel -- I think you could rent rooms but I never tried, etc...) You could buy temporary access to the others (it was basically a passport).

People spent most of their time playing games or just chatting together. I think there were approximately 2-4 games per world, so there was plenty to do. There was no magic, but you could use movers (they were essentially cars. Some were like motorcyles or something though). You earned credits through the games.. You spent them on clothes, hair, hats, houses, or food (you had to make sure your character was well feed and happy).

If someone wants to attempt to revive Muichiz, I'd be all up for xD.

Anyway, the point is, trading doesn't have to be such an integral part of a game. It only is if the players (and the staff) let it become that way. Too much trading ruins an economy. Pretty much everyone had access to everything Muichiz... It was your choice whether you bought it or not, so nothing was rare.

I would, personally, find that to make the economy rather boring. I actually enjoy working for items/rares that I want, but that's just me. (:

this is mainly the reason why i would love for this project to become opensourced - so i can just have everything and not have to compete to get it... i'm not interested in trading. i just want to build and have whatever i want.

Megara

no sleep club
Part of me loves the idea, and part of me doesn't. Like everyone else was saying, trading and whatnot is what gets an economy growing. The other part, though, I would love to be able to build rooms and whatnot without worrying about credits. They both have their perks, IMO. I can think of a few online games where there's no rare and people are allowed to buy whatever they like, and I still find it quite fun.

I don't think everyone realizes that there really isn't an economy for MyVMK. I think that word might be accurate if there were an in-game tradable currency (credits). Also, the price of items would have to be player-affected. However, credits aren't tradable and even if they were the price of shop bought items wouldn't fluctuate. Everything is set in stone with price, and it's impossible for street value of items to exist since everyone buys the items from the same place for the same price.

The only type of economy that exists is the rare item trade. Items that are discontinued have a different value to them than items you can buy in the shops. Rare items will have street value set by us, the players. We will determine whether or not we can trade hats with equal value of credits to the rare (say 10 flip hats = 20k credits and such and such rare item ='s 20k credits) or if it would be strictly rares for rares.

On topic though... I really don't know to be honest. =P

I would not like this at all. I love the thrill of host hunts and staying up all night trying to find someone trading a stitch hat. Idk, thats just me.