A Penny for your thoughts?

CocoBandicoot

I haven't quit; college happened.
Okay, community.
I've been thinking recently, and i'd love to know your opinions and your thoughts on these three questions, whether it's the actual factual answer, or your opinionated answer, i'd love to hear what you have to say.

1. Imagine if myvmk re-released firewalls in the market, not in crates, or as a rare, for one hour at 20k.

2. If the original VMK community did not use firewalls as virtual currency, why is it that we base the values of items on the credit value of a firewall, and why do we use the firewall as our virtual currency?

3. Who exactly determines the values of the firewall, both increasing and decreasing? Are these values picked by a single person and then the word spreads and that's what everyone goes by?

just food for thought. this is NOT a debate, if it was, it would be in the debate section and not in the general section.

Neda

1. If MyVmk were to re-release firewalls for a limited time chaos would ensue. :mob::boom::surrender:

2. I think firewalls are used as a virtually currency because they were released in early MyVmk so not many people were around to get them at the time and because of that they were rare and well it doesn't make any sense to me now that I try and type it out. :stubborn: lol/

3. The people decide the values.. whether it's the person buying it or the person selling it. It's all in the people.(of course it is Neda :huh:)
If someone decided to sell it for 20k and did this for a while people would buy from that person because it's the best deal. However, someone else trading a firewall could still say, "Well that's their price but it's not mine and I'm sorry but I won't take any less." At this point the buyer could say, "That price is too much/I don't want it for that price." and go about their day and that's that.

Long story short if 3-5 people sold it for less than usual then the value would go down but this is unrealistic. :pig:

At the same time people don't necessarily have to use firewalls for anything other than building. (Just get the credits and use that:trophy:)

With the amount of circulating credits within the game even if the walls were sold for 5 minutes the amount of purchases would be so high that the item would be more common than crates. As for the original game, firewalls were used as currency, it's just that the community was so much larger and the economy so much different that it was not so central. A smaller countries economy differs immensely from that of a large scale country, it is the same with our in-game communities. As for who decides the values it is a toss up between supply and demand and could go either way. You see "Super Rares" constantly, they're not really in lower supply than other things. Their demand is just so high that their prices are sky high. As for Firewalls, the supply has dimmed as the community has slowly begun to die off, and the demand still reigns supreme as people are after them due to their value within this games economy, even though a majority of players don't like them.

CocoBandicoot

I haven't quit; college happened.
With the amount of circulating credits within the game even if the walls were sold for 5 minutes the amount of purchases would be so high that the item would be more common than crates. As for the original game, firewalls were used as currency, it's just that the community was so much larger and the economy so much different that it was not so central. A smaller countries economy differs immensely from that of a large scale country, it is the same with our in-game communities. As for who decides the values it is a toss up between supply and demand and could go either way. You see "Super Rares" constantly, they're not really in lower supply than other things. Their demand is just so high that their prices are sky high. As for Firewalls, the supply has dimmed as the community has slowly begun to die off, and the demand still reigns supreme as people are after them due to their value within this games economy, even though a majority of players don't like them.
this is very well said and actually something i would say.

PirateKing

How much do firewalls fetch if sold back to the system? Maybe firewalls should be eliminated and people could be issued the credits for the total number of walls owned at the time of buy back at the buy back price. Then they can re-release firewalls at a more reasonable rate and people could buy as many as their credits allow. I'm just not a big fan of the MyVmk "economy" and the values attached to such trivial items. I don't build, so firewalls mean nothing to me except an over-inflated going price.

How much do firewalls fetch if sold back to the system? Maybe firewalls should be eliminated and people could be issued the credits for the total number of walls owned at the time of buy back at the buy back price. Then they can re-release firewalls at a more reasonable rate and people could buy as many as their credits allow. I'm just not a big fan of the MyVmk "economy" and the values attached to such trivial items. I don't build, so firewalls mean nothing to me except an over-inflated going price.
With the amount of credits in circulation re-releasing something for credits and eliminating its previous forms would do no good. It would just render the item absolutely useless. I am not a big fan of the economy either, but the solution definitely isn't toppling it.

Firewalls have been steadily decreasing as a result of being in the treasure chests, they have already fallen from 40k to 35k.

PirateKing

With the amount of credits in circulation re-releasing something for credits and eliminating its previous forms would do no good. It would just render the item absolutely useless. I am not a big fan of the economy either, but the solution definitely isn't toppling it.

Firewalls have been steadily decreasing as a result of being in the treasure chests, they have already fallen from 40k to 35k.
Why not? lol Unless you have amassed a mountain of them yourself. Just consider it a bad investment. It's the hoarders and dealers of these walls that have allowed it to happen. What IS wrong with having credits? You want to use walls to avoid credit "taxes" on trades which is another thing I find ridiculous.
This is a game and it's not about getting to be the "richest" with the most firewalls, stitch hats, green flips, black flip hat ...etc etc etc).
What was the purpose of firewalls when it was sold and for how much? was it sold as a commodity or just a cool building element. I wasn't active at the time.

Why not? lol Unless you have amassed a mountain of them yourself. Just consider it a bad investment. It's the hoarders and dealers of these walls that have allowed it to happen. What IS wrong with having credits? You want to use walls to avoid credit "taxes" on trades which is another thing I find ridiculous.
This is a game and it's not about getting to be the "richest" with the most firewalls, stitch hats, green flips, black flip hat ...etc etc etc).
What was the purpose of firewalls when it was sold and for how much? was it sold as a commodity or just a cool building element. I wasn't active at the time.
I don't have any, I had 2 at the time that I traded for my Black Flip hat but that's it. Firewalls were sold to be sold really, though I don't even remember if they were sold or obtained through other means honestly. They became a currency because back in the old VMK they were often used as items to trade for super rares in that game. It just shifted as a result of what people liked back in the old game/what they were used to. Regardless, it's not about those amassing a collection making a bad investment. The item is a backbone in the economy and caving it in will affect a ton of things. Not to mention that it's not just all about firewalls anymore. This will lead to more upset than happiness, unless they were to completely revamp everyone's inventories, etc, which we all know is not going to happen.This is a very small community and the economy is going to mirror it. Luckily, with the ability to trade credits, it is now much easier to obtain items than it was previously. You can earn lots of credits playing minigames, especially during the double credit weekends, and even small things like retired clothing still sells for a decent amount. Not to mention there are so many recolored items now that it is not very hard to at least get the gist of something you've been wanting.

Jasmine

It seems like they were sold to jump start the economy. (I'm pretty sure that's why the flip hat was retired too.*) With that being said though, I don't think the staff anticipated them becoming a currency (though they should have). They became a currency because a small number of players took advantage of the poorly-timed release (that favored people who were friends with staff members because some of them were aware firewalls were going to be a one-day sale, whereas most people didn't know this) by hoarding them. Some were just plain greedy; but I think other people just became worried about not being able to get items they wanted (I mean, a lot of people couldn't even get in game when the flip hat retired), so I think that contributed to it as well.

*The flip hat was retired on the 2nd/3rd day of the game (so, 9/29, though this depends on what you count as a "full" day, since the game opened around 8PM EST on 9/27). Firewalls were released (and sold for 750 credits) the same morning the flip hat was retired. Shells were also released this day, first worth 10 credits, though it was later raised to 25.

I don't think it would be right to just ruin the firewall's value. That would make some members mad, and IMO, they would have a reason to be mad. A large influx of firewalls would basically make them valueless. I can imagine people essentially feeling like they're stuck with them, since right now, their main purpose is as a currency instead of as a furniture item. However, I see no issue with slowly adding more firewalls into the economy and then seeing if that's helping the issue. And if it's not, then try something else.

CaptainJax

...but you HAVE heard of me.
Ahoy!

I have a correction for your consideration:

In the original VMK, firewalls DID become a "virtual currency"--it actually isn't new to myvmk.

It is similar to something like gold in the real world.

I don't know how firewalls became a sort of standard currency, but they have been in both old vmk and myvmk. I just wanted to share.

Savvy? :)

Jasmine

Ahoy!

I have a correction for your consideration:

In the original VMK, firewalls DID become a "virtual currency"--it actually isn't new to myvmk.

It is similar to something like gold in the real world.

I don't know how firewalls became a sort of standard currency, but they have been in both old vmk and myvmk. I just wanted to share.

Savvy? :)
The difference is that firewalls weren't the only/main currency in VMK. You could attain rare items without needing tons of firewalls. Also, people didn't always determine item values solely (or primarily) in terms of firewalls. Credits, along with other rare items, were also used to determine values. And firewalls were also traded for all sorts of items (whereas here, they're generally being traded for credits or super rares). VMK's economy was totally different than MyVMK's.

While you're right that firewalls were used as a currency in VMK, IMO, the whole situation really isn't even comparable. The reason firewalls were rare in VMK actually made sense. But the reason they're rare here is basically because the release wasn't well thought-out, which allowed people (such as those who were friends with staff members) to hoard them during the one day they were available. If they hadn't of been released the way they were, I highly doubt that they would've become our main currency. Also, I'm not even sure if some VMK players were aware that some used firewalls as a currency. But on here, it's pretty obvious (to both new and old players) that firewalls are the main currency.

Last edited:
1. id be happy and can FINALLY get stuff i want....(yea ok sure i can earn the items but come on... i know everyone wants walls and i dont have any(also yes im aware i can grind for credits for an item but that's also hard when you are wanting....300-500k)).:pickme:

2.(that's already answered).

3. im still wondering why it keeps going up. as a first day player i could barely afford the wall back then o.o actually, never owned one when it came out lol, grinding for those shells was a catastrophe (as everyone battles out trying to get shells and getting yelled at...). but why did the price go up? before a certain time this year:giggle:..... i believe we had a great amount of walls? so it's not a supply/demand issue... i wouldnt want to pay wha-what is it? 40k? for a wall? i could be at it on whatever game for days and they could trade the wall off.. sorry im poor and willing to grind some credits just for you? i also wouldnt mind someone buying the wall off it for 20k as long as i get to buy a wall for 20k then im okay! but that's not gonna happen, let's be real :giggle::surrender:

waterfallglow

balance is important both in life and art.....
1. id be happy and can FINALLY get stuff i want....(yea ok sure i can earn the items but come on... i know everyone wants walls and i dont have any(also yes im aware i can grind for credits for an item but that's also hard when you are wanting....300-500k)).:pickme:

2.(that's already answered).

3. im still wondering why it keeps going up. as a first day player i could barely afford the wall back then o.o actually, never owned one when it came out lol, grinding for those shells was a catastrophe (as everyone battles out trying to get shells and getting yelled at...). but why did the price go up? before a certain time this year:giggle:..... i believe we had a great amount of walls? so it's not a supply/demand issue... i wouldnt want to pay wha-what is it? 40k? for a wall? i could be at it on whatever game for days and they could trade the wall off.. sorry im poor and willing to grind some credits just for you? i also wouldnt mind someone buying the wall off it for 20k as long as i get to buy a wall for 20k then im okay! but that's not gonna happen, let's be real :giggle::surrender:
I think the price of firewalls has gone up because more people now a days are hoarding them more. when somebody get's a firewall in trade they hold on to them and don't want to trade them away as easily unless it is for a super rare. so that makes people have to trade even more credits to get those hoarding them to be willing to trade them. if that makes sense. could be wrong but that was my understanding of it all.

Jasmine

Excellent points, Jasmine! I agree that there are definitely some differences.

Here are a couple old threads about some of the same questions in old vmk:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/firewalls-as-the-standard-of-trade-value-question.1749272/

http://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142257
Yeah I can't tell you how many trade threads I went through before posting (because I wanted to have a good idea of what the economy was like). It was really interesting to see how VMK's economy differs from MyVMK's.

firewalls,stitch hats ,flips etc was old rares in the original vmk game. therefor when myvmk released them people stacked up on them knowing it would turn out same way as original i mean look games pretty much same as old vmk.people knew what was gonna happen over time hence why players stacked and hoarded to make it that way as it was in original vmk