A question about college

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
Hi guys, I recently applied to all my colleges and sent them in!

I applied to 8 (since my teacher told our class to), and now here's the problem.. everyone in my class gets
fee-waivers, but I don't since my dad's income exceeds the amount towards getting fee-waivers

Did you guys pay for applying to college? Because now I owe 480$ and I don't know how to get it before december 15th.. by that date all the colleges I applied to will drop my application.

So.. I'm afraid to tell my dad that I owe that much.. I told him that I should put my moms income, but the only problem is that I don't physically live with her.. I hardly see her, but she makes probably less than anyone in my school..

Now I feel dumb do you guys have advice?

Obeynick

You should tell your dad the amount you owe... especially since the 15th is right around the corner. If you aren't able to get everything, just pay for the college applications you really care for. It's great to apply to as many colleges as you can, but sometimes there's the struggle of paying the price since it's not free, I went through a similar situation when applying to colleges, I ended up applying to less than what I would've hoped for. lol @Hipster

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
You should tell your dad the amount you owe... especially since the 15th is right around the corner. If you aren't able to get everything, just pay for the college applications you really care for. It's great to apply to as many colleges as you can, but sometimes there's the struggle of paying the price since it's not free, I went through a similar situation when applying to colleges, I ended up applying to less than what I would've hoped for. lol @Hipster
I already did and all I got was "We will talk about this later" from my dad :o and the worst part is that I barely got these emails by the colleges back from when I sent them my fee-waiver requests!
I think i'll just pay for the schools i'll probably get into :(

Obeynick

I already did and all I got was "We will talk about this later" from my dad :o and the worst part is that I barely got these emails by the colleges back from when I sent them my fee-waiver requests!
I think i'll just pay for the schools i'll probably get into :(
It's a pain when dealing with college applications lol, I honestly think you should have a serious talk with your dad and make him realize that this is important for you and your future. It's a lot to pay for, but think of it as an investment for something good. And when it comes to fee-waivers, I remember when I was applying, there was always a huge amount of requests from students, not everyone got one.

Sophia

Well since your dad makes enough money (enough that you don't qualify for fee waivers), then there is no reason why he can't help you out, I mean it's not like you're asking him to buy you a car or a PS4. Last resort is to ask to borrow from a friend or tell your counselor about this situation or your favorite teacher. They might be able to help you out! It's always good to apply to as many as you can because by the time it's fall, you might decide you want to go somewhere else!

p.s. in cali, people with fee waivers are only limited to waive 4 college applications, beyond 4, then they'd have to pay for it.

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
It's a pain when dealing with college applications lol, I honestly think you should have a serious talk with your dad and make him realize that this is important for you and your future. It's a lot to pay for, but think of it as an investment for something good. And when it comes to fee-waivers, I remember when I was applying, there was always a huge amount of requests by students, not everyone got one.
Yeah, he understands its important for me too.. after all i'm the first of my generation to go to college :O[DOUBLEPOST=1417469183][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well since your dad makes enough money (enough that you don't qualify for fee waivers), then there is no reason why he can't help you out, I mean it's not like you're asking him to buy you a car or a PS4. Last resort is to ask to borrow from a friend or tell your counselor about this situation or your favorite teacher. They might be able to help you out! It's always good to apply to as many as you can because by the time it's fall, you might decide you want to go somewhere else!

p.s. in cali, people with fee waivers are only limited to waive 4 college applications, beyond 4, then they'd have to pay for it.

Oh yes I know! I took the SAT and got four free fee-waivers (for private schools)

I explain to my dad how important money is for colleges, but he tries to make me earn it myself! Plus he's a realtor so if he sells a house we're good for the month ! (I live in a house of 4)

katrina

KATBEAN 2K14
Maybe compromise with your dad and ask if he can pay half? or ask him to pay it all as a christmas gift?
maybe can you apply for a fee waiver using your moms income?

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
Maybe compromise with your dad and ask if he can pay half? or ask him to pay it all as a christmas gift?
maybe can you apply for a fee waiver using your moms income?
I'm actually asking him to help me pay it off for my christmas present :)

I would ask for a fee waiver from my moms income, but I'd get in trouble if the colleges find out I don't live with her[DOUBLEPOST=1417469516][/DOUBLEPOST]
Then that's a great reason to why he should help you! I hope everything works out, i'm sure you'll find a solution to all of this. :)
Thank you :) I'll try my best to solve this !

Sophia

Yeah, he understands its important for me too.. after all i'm the first of my generation to go to college :O[DOUBLEPOST=1417469183][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh yes I know! I took the SAT and got four free fee-waivers (for private schools)

I explain to my dad how important money is for colleges, but he tries to make me earn it myself! Plus he's a realtor so if he sells a house we're good for the month ! (I live in a house of 4)
eek well that's a tough one, i mean if i were you, i'd look for a job (might be a little late though),but like the application fee is so small compared to the real fees you'll have to pay once you're actually IN college. i'd just do what nick said and have a SUPER SERIOUS TALK. be like, "if u dont help me out im gonna drop out and go to mcdonalds university bye"

How'd you get fee waivers from the sat if you dont qualify for them? Unless college fee waivers are different?
&& Im pretty sure they wouldnt know you don't live with her, but since you already applied it would be with your dads address and not your moms, but besides that it's not like theyre gonna go to your house and check lol. Maybe if you decide to apply to another college use your moms address next time?

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
eek well that's a tough one, i mean if i were you, i'd look for a job (might be a little late though),but like the application fee is so small compared to the real fees you'll have to pay once you're actually IN college. i'd just do what nick said and have a SUPER SERIOUS TALK. be like, "if u dont help me out im gonna drop out and go to mcdonalds university bye"
Oh my, yeah a good argument might convince him.. I've been applying to jobs, but I keep getting rejected :\

Otters

I didn't qualify either, but I got the fee waived a few times by just emailing my adviser questions. So maybe you
can figure out who your advisers are and email them or ask your dad or just finish applying to the schools that
you're more likely to attend

Hipster

♥ нιρ ツ ♥
How'd you get fee waivers from the sat if you dont qualify for them? Unless college fee waivers are different?
&& Im pretty sure they wouldnt know you don't live with her, but since you already applied it would be with your dads address and not your moms, but besides that it's not like theyre gonna go to your house and check lol. Maybe if you decide to apply to another college use your moms address next time?
The fee waivers are free after you take the test, they apply to only private colleges though.

Yeah i'll use hers for my private schools of choice ![DOUBLEPOST=1417470009][/DOUBLEPOST]
I didn't qualify either, but I got the fee waived a few times by just emailing my adviser questions. So maybe you
can figure out who your advisers are and email them or ask your dad or just finish applying to the schools that
you're more likely to attend
I'll talk to my advisers tomorrow after school!

The fee waivers are free after you take the test, they apply to only private colleges though.

Yeah i'll use hers for my private schools of choice ![DOUBLEPOST=1417470009][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'll talk to my advisers tomorrow after school!
Oh lol I thought you only got them if you got a fee waiver for the sat. I take the act sooo I wouldn't know haha
Goodluck & I hope you get into where ever you want to go to :)