Banned Words for the Game

John

You can say many words worse than twerk in game I have no idea why this one word has a whole thread about it.

kalyee

The game also allows [removed] if I am correct - haven't checked recently, but it at one point was.

Anyway...
While it'd be nice to block all the words that one may find offensive or rude, it is impossible to filter out all the inappropriate behavior and happenings in a game full of unpredictable people of all different ages - which aren't even asked for during sign-up to ensure a "safe" playing experience for different age groups.
Yes, there's a small percentage of children playing this game, and as it was initially a game geared towards children, that percentage will certainly grow, but lets face it, this is the internet, and if you're going to let your child online without supervision, they're going to see some words and inappropriate behaviors. There's no way around this, as any filter can easily be worked around by even the youngest of players. (Perhaps implementing a filter option that parents can control like Toontown had could help solve the issue with younger players, but even then, there's no guarantee.)
The only real solution lies within each individual player. (Exercise some discretion when speaking in a public area - if you absolutely must have a personal, private, or possibly inappropriate conversation, do so in a private room, set to "friends only" or "me only" and invite those who you know you won't be offending in to speak with you - as you never know who is reading your conversation, and as a result, possibly being very offended by it. Think before you act - this is a game that everyone should feel free to enjoy, and being overly sexual/rude can easily put a damper on other members experiences.)

I mean, when it comes down to it, even if every slightly rude word was blocked, and every single inappropriate action resulted in a ban, someone would still have an issue.

The game also allows [removed] if I am correct - haven't checked recently, but it at one point was.

Anyway...
While it'd be nice to block all the words that one may find offensive or rude, it is impossible to filter out all the inappropriate behavior and happenings in a game full of unpredictable people of all different ages - which aren't even asked for during sign-up to ensure a "safe" playing experience for different age groups.
Yes, there's a small percentage of children playing this game, and as it was initially a game geared towards children, that percentage will certainly grow, but lets face it, this is the internet, and if you're going to let your child online without supervision, they're going to see some words and inappropriate behaviors. There's no way around this, as any filter can easily be worked around by even the youngest of players. (Perhaps implementing a filter option that parents can control like Toontown had could help solve the issue with younger players, but even then, there's no guarantee.)
The only real solution lies within each individual player. (Exercise some discretion when speaking in a public area - if you absolutely must have a personal, private, or possibly inappropriate conversation, do so in a private room, set to "friends only" or "me only" and invite those who you know you won't be offending in to speak with you - as you never know who is reading your conversation, and as a result, possibly being very offended by it. Think before you act - this is a game that everyone should feel free to enjoy, and being overly sexual/rude can easily put a damper on other members experiences.)

I mean, when it comes down to it, even if every slightly rude word was blocked, and every single inappropriate action resulted in a ban, someone would still have an issue.
Couldn't have said it better.

I think an extra strict filter for kids could be an idea, maybe up to as strict as old VMK was. But I think the general filter for the rest of us needs to be stricter too. This is a disney game. As a community, we're we may go back a long ways, but we are just starting off and establishing myVMK, we should want to build a good reputation for ourselves.

Dead

Why not just add a filter for anyone under a certain age?
As an 18 year old male, I can't be asked to have a bunch of words banned solely because the 5% of MyVMK is under 16. It's inevitable that words will be used for sexual innuendo.
Thank you. The thing I enjoy about this game most is that it doesn't have an insane filtering system like the original. I'm over 18 and I honestly don't care if I see "bad" words, or in this case, plain stupid words in chat. Besides, the filters are already being easily bypassed to the point where there's little point in even having them.

vause

Why not just add a filter for anyone under a certain age?
As an 18 year old male, I can't be asked to have a bunch of words banned solely because the 5 of MyVMK is under 16. It's inevitable that words will be used for sexual innuendo.
I like this idea.

I think 'twerk' and other rude words, for example: curse words, inappropriate name calling names, and inappropriate words for body parts should be banned words. I also think brat, jerk, and the word: annoying, should be banned. I also think other bullying words should be banned as well.
You have to remember that the majority of the people playing the game are over 18. Blocking the words 'jerk' and 'annoying' is pointless - they're not curse words. Why shouldn't we be allowed to say them? Especially 'annoying'. That word is used multiple times in my daily vocabulary, haha. I'd be annoyed if it was blocked (but I wouldn't be able to say that I was annoyed...because it'd be blocked.)

I'm not saying scratch the filter completely. I agree that things like the f-bomb, and major curse words (although I do use them out of game) should be blocked, just because we do have some younger members. But blocking simple words like the original VMK filter is taking it too far. We're all old enough now to know what's appropriate or not.

There's a lot of words that could be banned though. If you ban one, you'd have to ban all bad words. In any case, I'd like to see the words '************' or '****************' banned. Mainly because these words are used in a way that aren't very nice. Like, when someone says something is ****************. It's a derogatory term used to define someone with a disability due to the whole "mental retardation" term. :/

I don't think it's worse than the word twerk, but I still don't think those words should be mentioned. It's one of those terms that could be turned against a user, especially someone who might be disabled. If I recall, a lot of people with varying disabilities played the original VMK. I was one of them. I don't know if I want every little word banned though because that'd get annoying. I just think we should ban words that could be abused more too.

katiebcat

I'm in an agreement on a filter, but I feel it should be optional to a point. There should be certain words that are banned no matter what age and an under 13 filter.

I feel a "<13 filter" would serve family we wish to introduce the game too: cousins,nieces,nephews, siblings, and even children.
There has to be a ccompromise

I also agree with the poster above me
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk