Banning people from Debate Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

The forums are for everyone, contents in the debate section shouldn't contain 18+ material anyways. They are being a little lenient on it, if someone has a problem with a topic then they shouldn't read it.
That's what the debate section was made for. Controversial topic debating. I don't think a 12 year old should be coming in and debating rape, or drug use. They don't know much about the subject and all it does is confuses people and starts arguments because someone posted a fact they heard on facebook. Debates aren't for kids, hence why you don't have debates in school until about High School.
I kind of disagree with you on the statement that a 12 year old can't know much about rape or abortion and the like. I work with kids this age and you'd be surprised about what they have to say as well as what they know. Age and maturity don't always go hand in hand.
You're right. They know about it. But they are also not fully knowledgeable about reading comprehension, citing sources, discussing facts etc. They aren't mature enough to debate those things with older people.

You are being prejudice. There are a lot of 12 year olds that are very mature and knowledgeable, and can comprehend and discuss facts in a debate environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show me a 12 year old that can comprehend and debate serious, often horrendous topics on an adult level with actual facts and logical reasoning and I'll agree with you. Until then, I'm all for the thought that a lot of younger members should be allowed to debate, but not on the same platform as older members due to the difference in experience, maturity, and reasoning skills.

They're called debate teams.

kalyee

The forums are for everyone, contents in the debate section shouldn't contain 18+ material anyways. They are being a little lenient on it, if someone has a problem with a topic then they shouldn't read it.
That's what the debate section was made for. Controversial topic debating. I don't think a 12 year old should be coming in and debating rape, or drug use. They don't know much about the subject and all it does is confuses people and starts arguments because someone posted a fact they heard on facebook. Debates aren't for kids, hence why you don't have debates in school until about High School.
I kind of disagree with you on the statement that a 12 year old can't know much about rape or abortion and the like. I work with kids this age and you'd be surprised about what they have to say as well as what they know. Age and maturity don't always go hand in hand.
You're right. They know about it. But they are also not fully knowledgeable about reading comprehension, citing sources, discussing facts etc. They aren't mature enough to debate those things with older people.

You are being prejudice. There are a lot of 12 year olds that are very mature and knowledgeable, and can comprehend and discuss facts in a debate environment.

Show me a 12 year old that can comprehend and debate serious, often horrendous topics on an adult level with actual facts and logical reasoning and I'll agree with you. Until then, I'm all for the thought that a lot of younger members should be allowed to debate, but not on the same platform as older members due to the difference in experience, maturity, and reasoning skills.

Any 12 year old populated debate team I've ever seen hardly varies from issues you deal with at 12, hence my comment. Keep the topics to their range of experience and comprehension. Just because you can get a 12 year old to understand what abortion or rape is doesn't mean they have the necessary experiences and maturity level to actually from a competent and informed opinion on it.

Monorail

Saying this is prejudice is like saying that schools separating kids into grades based on age is prejudice, or having a video game being rated for 17+ is prejudice.

allison

Any 12 year old populated debate team I've ever seen hardly varies from issues you deal with at 12, hence my comment. Keep the topics to their range of experience and comprehension. Just because you can get a 12 year old to understand what abortion or rape is doesn't mean they have the necessary experiences and maturity level to actually from a competent and informed opinion on it.

That is just simply not true. Just because the majority of children can't inform themselves properly and make a mature opinion, that doesn't mean that ALL of them cannot. Age isn't a significant issue in maturity, sorry to burst Your bubble.

I have to step in and say that I've dealt with the experiences your referring to and I know all about it. I may not be 18+ but I have knowledge of this. You can't necessarily put a label on anyone younger than 18 as incompetent because of their age.

Age is just a number.

It doesn't matter what age you are. You are free to post anywhere on the forums. If someone makes an immature remark or rude comment, then you always just ignore them. It's their decision to read the thread or not, and if they want to say how they feel about the topic, let them do it. Everyone has the right to say how they feel. If it's not appropriate for the member then they shouldn't click it. If they say something offensive then you can just report them, people can be removed from the debate group.

This thread has become more of a debate than a forum feedback.

Agreed. And the topic of conversation is digressing. Mods can you please look into this?

How is it getting off topic? Lol

You're debating about the intelligence and emotional intelligence level of 12 year olds.... Last time I checked, that has nothing to do with forum feedback?

Jasmine

You're debating about the intelligence and emotional intelligence level of 12 year olds.... Last time I checked, that has nothing to do with forum feedback?
You're right it doesn't have anything to do with forum feedback, however it does have to do with the thread's topic, and the thread is placed in the right forum. So I guess technically, it does have something to do with forum feedback. xD

~~
Age is much more than a number. A couple years ago, I might've said the same thing; but now I know that's not true. I completely agree that some (or most) "younger" people can't deal with (and sometimes comprehend) certain serious topics the way older people can. It has to do with maturity and world experience; I'm not saying younger people aren't mature, but when it comes to certain serious topics, they can be less mature and they should be expected to be less mature. Many can also be naive (and there's nothing wrong with that, however it does make debating with someone harder) or have really biased opinions that they're not willing to re-analyze or change (which is something they'll learn as they continue to mature). Of course this doesn't apply to every single person, but we're speaking generally here.

I've debated with tons of people - literally. It's much easier to debate with someone who's around my age. Sure, there are young people who are more mature than adults, but that's another debate in itself. (Are they too mature - which can be a form of immaturity because they're trying to grow up too fast - or are the adults they're being compared to immature? If so, is that truly a fair comparison? With age comes life experience, which goes along with maturity. I think that's why people relate age and maturity so closely.) So I can definitely understand ICON's frustration. It's very hard to debate with someone who is really young. However, it can be done.

You're right it doesn't have anything to do with forum feedback, however it does have to do with the thread's topic, and the thread is placed in the right forum. So I guess technically, it does have something to do with forum feedback. xD
I am so confused. You contradicted yourself.

Age is just a number. Just because you are younger, doesn't mean you have less experience in the world than adults do. There are kids who have been through way more than most adults. I doubt many of you people who debate have experience in what you're even debating about. Just because you're 18 doesn't mean you have been through more than someone who's 12? Age has nothing to do with any of this, it has to do with maturity, experiences, and how you handle things. Everyone has the same rights on this forum, and I doubt that's going to change. If you want to comment how you feel about a subject, you're free to do so. If they get out of hand then they can get kicked out of the group. They are allowed to give their opinions too.
-------------------------------------------------
Aside from this, this thread should be moved to the debate section. I know it's forum feedback, but everyone made it into a debate.

Jasmine

I am so confused. You contradicted yourself.
Which would be why it's at the very end of the post... because that's the final conclusion I came to.

Age is just a number. Just because you are younger, doesn't mean you have less experience in the world than adults do. There are kids who have been through way more than most adults. I doubt many of you people who debate have experience in what you're even debating about. Just because you're 18 doesn't mean you have been through more than someone who's 12? Age has nothing to do with any of this, it has to do with maturity, experiences, and how you handle things. Everyone has the same rights on this forum, and I doubt that's going to change. If you want to comment how you feel about a subject, you're free to do so. If they get out of hand then they can get kicked out of the group. They are allowed to give their opinions too.
Most young people say age is just a number when the topic of maturity is brought up, so I expect that to be your stance. You're right though, it does have to do with maturity and experiences, which is why I mentioned life experiences. And yes, by definition, being younger means you have less experience on this planet... Life experiences don't necessarily mean having to deal with the death of a parent or being abandoned by one, being depressed, or dealing with stuff like that; lots of kids deal with that on a daily basis. A life experience could be having a friend have an abortion and being there with them, watching (or experiencing it yourself) a loved one go through an addiction, knowing someone who has been involved in drinking and driving and is injured because of it, etc... A lot of these life experiences come from the late teen/young adult stages. (Though I admit some kids are exposed to them at an early age, which I don't think is a good thing.) College is an example of a place where people tend to experience new things. I'd say most of us actually do have experience (whether that's firsthand, secondhand, done through extensive research, etc...) with the debates we comment on... after all, it doesn't really make sense to join a debate if you're not knowledgeable about the topic.

I'm not saying age doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to comment on a topic; I'm just agreeing with ICON, because I think he's right. It's true that debating with someone who's much younger and is less experienced and mature is difficult. And I do think something should be done, but I'm not exactly sure what could be done in a way that it's fair and open to people of all ages. I'm not sure if there is a good solution to this problem.

Miss

I just wanted to state that a 12 year old is usually in 6th-7th grade and I could never imagine myself getting into a serious debate with my cousin who just turned 12 let alone with the other 12 year olds I use to teach. It's not that they are in any way "dumb" or "stupid", they are just too young and have just gotten out of Elementary school. If they were to implement a age limit, I would say an appropriate age would be around 16. They are now in highschool and have much more experience. Then again people can just change their birthday on the forums to get away with it so I don't see this happening.

allison

What I'm trying to get across is,
You're not being fair to the 12 year olds who can actually participate in a debate environment, just becAuse of their age. Can we ban the 20 year olds who have no idea what they're talking about ?

What I'm trying to get across is,
You're not being fair to the 12 year olds who can actually participate in a debate environment, just becAuse of their age. Can we ban the 20 year olds who have no idea what they're talking about ?

Just because you don't agree with what someone has to say doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about.

*facepalm* If it's obvious someone's still a kid or not a kid and just being a troll, it's entirely up to someone whether they are taken seriously or not. Wise bet not to take someone seriously if they are directly/indirectly using "you-oriented" language under those circumstances because they want to illicit a negative response. Better to take the high road and say nothing, continue on with the real topic than waste time trying to make a kid or troll try to understand because they can't or won't.

I suppose those who are older just want to discuss with their specific group and are too bothered by those disagreeing purely just to disagree without justified fact or opinion. With that, yeah preferred to have seperate age usergroup forums for adult, teen, kids. However it's as staff sees fit. Most of us are doing just fine in the debate forum, so I hope staff doesn't take the negative attitude of a few to ruin it for all of us. Just remember to read that sticky, maybe there should be a timed window one time to force one to read the sticky when they first join before continuing to be able to view/post the debate thread. But like I said most of us are doing fine. I'd just like to remind older kids/adults to be tolerant and know that kids are kids and trolls are trolls. We were all kids once, not necessarily all trolls. And remember not take things so automatically personally if someone is simply stating their opinion without dislike, hate, negative attitude. Yes it's hard to tell someone's tone on the internet sometimes, but one has the choice to give a person a benefit of a doubt that they aren't just disagreeing to disagree in spite of the other person. Not sure if that made sense, but yeah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.