Best sites to learn programming? (Free)

Hello! I recently used Codecademy to learn HTML and CSS, tried to learn Javascript too, but it was kind of confusing to me, so I didn't finish the course.
Anyone know of a site that is free, that I could learn more than just the basics of HTML and CSS?
I'm looking for something further than just the course that Codecademy offered. Plus, I'd like to eventually learn Javascript too, if there is a site that explains it more in detail.

Also, any suggestions on how to edit/create a HTML document?
So far, i've only used Notepad, is that the easiest to use, that would be free?

Whispered

Thank you! I just downloaded Notepad++, haven't tried it yet though. And the Python site seems very helpful, I just did some of it!
No problem! Notepad++ allows you (iirc, been forever since I set it up) to choose your syntax highlighting, and it *may* auto-choose based on filetype, but again i'm not sure. It's really useful.

PHPGuru

Hello! I recently used Codecademy to learn HTML and CSS, tried to learn Javascript too, but it was kind of confusing to me, so I didn't finish the course.
Anyone know of a site that is free, that I could learn more than just the basics of HTML and CSS?
I'm looking for something further than just the course that Codecademy offered. Plus, I'd like to eventually learn Javascript too, if there is a site that explains it more in detail.

Also, any suggestions on how to edit/create a HTML document?
So far, i've only used Notepad, is that the easiest to use, that would be free?
Notepad++ is indeed a great editor, it doesn't require as much performance as most editors do and it has great customizable syntax highlighting. As for a site to learn your programming I would suggest you use thenewboston.org now named Bucky'sRoom. If you want to take programming seriously though and make a career out of it I would suggest you pick up a book and start reading. People who write books for their career are going to take extra care to make sure you understand what is going on. Although resources are all over and easy to find :) I would suggest finding a programming forum for your specific language choice it should be helpful if you can find a friendly talented forum community. My personal favorite is PHPStorm but you have to pay for that one.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
It's more or less just documentation, but I highly recommend www.w3schools.com
It's full of examples, and you can even mess around with code right on the site.

The best way (in my opinion) to learn code, is just to code. Read documentation, and mess around with stuff. Find out what works, and what doesn't.
Come up with an idea for something, and try to see if you can make it. Classes and courses and tutorials are great, but I find that it's possible to get a lot more out of just messing around.

PHPGuru

It's more or less just documentation, but I highly recommend www.w3schools.com
It's full of examples, and you can even mess around with code right on the site.

The best way (in my opinion) to learn code, is just to code. Read documentation, and mess around with stuff. Find out what works, and what doesn't.
Come up with an idea for something, and try to see if you can make it. Classes and courses and tutorials are great, but I find that it's possible to get a lot more out of just messing around.
Pretty much Google is going to be your best friend in programming but we all learn differently so trying different things is the best option. What ever works for you is the best way IMO :p And while w3schools is great and all is doesnt go into as much detail as my first opinion which was picking up a book. Some people just don't have the money obviously :p
Also be careful with just messing around, at one point you are going to need to take your time to sit down and find out what things actually do, just because something works doesnt mean its the right approach and you wont know that if youre just messing around and it happens to work, it could get the wrong idea of a topic in your head :p No contridict I still agree no matter what you have to teach yourself, but atleast do it right :p

Last edited:
I wrote some tips here: http://forums.myvmk.com/threads/fantasias-crash-course-in-html-css.20164/ a while back. The best way to learn HTML/CSS though is just to do it. Use a website that lets you build a webpage from scratch or even on any site you enjoy going to. When I was a kid, I started coding on Neopets. But I believe Gaia Online and Tumblr also let you edit HTML. And as you are doing it, just look how to do things as you go along. Once you learn how a stylesheet and an HTML doc is structured, you can do a lot more than you think.

Thanks everyone :)

I actually read Atlantis' thread first, then researched different sites, so far Codecademy.com is my favorite, especially because you can write the code and it makes sure I did it right and tells me if something is wrong. Since I finished all the HTML and CSS that Codecademy offered, I went to watching the videos on Buckysroom.org like PHPGuru suggested.

kolyaventuri: I found this site before, but never really used it because it seems more like a reference guide. Maybe i'd find it more useful when I get more advanced with HTML.
Bird: Codecademy is my favorite, been using that one already, but Khan Academy seems like something I could try for Javascript, when i'm ready to learn that.

Last edited:
I am currently in programming in college. I use www.w3schools.com as reference points and i also use notepad++ and html kit.

If you're in college and have a college email, I'm pretty sure Lynda.com is free.

Not entirely sure, but it works with my college.