Cigarettes

What are your thoughts on cigarettes? This is what I know about them:
Cigarettes contain a substance called "nicotine" which is basically is what makes someone addicted to them. What it does is it effects part of your brain, the part that helps you make decisions. That's why most people who smoke, know that it's bad for them, smoke anyways. When you breathe in smoke, it brings all sorts of nasty stuff into your lungs, like tar. That fills up over time and can cause lung cancer. When you breathe it in, it destroys these little sacs in your lungs called Alveoli. Those are what convert oxygen into your blood so you can breathe. The more and more you smoke, the more and more Alveoli are destroyed, making it harder to breathe. You cannot grow these back. There are also several cases of second-hand smoke. This occurs when someone who doesn't smoke, is around someone who does. They breathe in the smoke as well, and thousands of non-smokers die each year because of smokers. There is one benefit I can think of from smoking, which is stress relief. But in the end, stress < lung cancer.

Stating all those facts, what do you think about cigarettes and smoking? I'm sure there are facts out there that I left out, I just started the ones that were at the top of my head. If you know anything else, feel free to post them.

Last edited:

allison

If people want to smoke, whatever, I'm not stopping them. However, they should probably smoke in private as secondhand smoke can cause asthma. If you wanna smoke, I'm not stopping you, but be aware of the consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
it's disgusting, honestly. i hate walking by someone who is smoking and they don't care enough to go somewhere else. if you smoke, fine. just do it somewhere people cannot smell it.

kalyee

It's legal, it's everyone's individual choice, and so long as you're of age and understand the consequences, I'm not going to make an issue of whatever decision you make.

Some people don't like it when people smoke where others can see it or smell it, and feel it ruins certain experiences... I don't like it when parents bring their obnoxious children where I can hear them and smell them. It ruins a lot of my experiences as well.
Both are choices, both can be accepted, ignored, or become bothersome... Whatever.

That was a really bad comparison, I'm incredibly sleep deprived, but I guess I just feel like as long as nothing illegal is going on, everyone has the right to make their own choices regarding these types of things and shouldn't feel judged/disrespected/cast aside because someone disagrees. Smokers are no more or less than anyone else but I see a lot of people treating them like they're a few steps down from respectable humans, and that bugs me.
There are just as many just as dangerous health decisions you can make, and often do out of convenience or ignorance without receiving flack in return, so I don't see the need with smokers.

I don't judge people who smoke. I don't know their life and it's not my place to tell someone what they should/shouldn't do.

Personally, I don't smoke, would never smoke, don't like the smell, etc. and I don't see the appeal. Because of the risks of second hand smoke, it'd be nice if people would smoke where it's not going to interfere with others, at which point it becomes an issue. If I'm respecting your choice to smoke, please respect mine and other people's choice to not gain a health issue because of your choice to smoke. Besides that, as long as you're not smoking in an area where it's not allowed or trying to pressure someone else into it, you're okay in my book.

I dislike smokers but if you want to smoke in a smoking area then go for it. If you want to die sooner, it's your life. But there are better alternatives, like Vapor. Which smells really nice :-)

people who complain about secondhand smoke are more obnoxious than those that smoke wherever they wish

Cat

What about eciggs? It concerns me how people are buying into them and using them as a replacement for cigarettes with nobody actually knows the long term side effects of using them. That's exactly how cigarettes got to be so bad-- lack of knowledge about them. The FDA has no control over them either (I know the FDA is a laugh anyways) but the fact that there's no regulations on them really concerns me. It's not 'water', and you're not smoking 'water'... idk it just doesn't add up.

I'm against smoking in general, ecigg or not.

S

Solar

What about eciggs? It concerns me how people are buying into them and using them as a replacement for cigarettes with nobody actually knows the long term side effects of using them. That's exactly how cigarettes got to be so bad-- lack of knowledge about them. The FDA has no control over them either (I know the FDA is a laugh anyways) but the fact that there's no regulations on them really concerns me. It's not 'water', and you're not smoking 'water'... idk it just doesn't add up.

I'm against smoking in general, ecigg or not.
It is possible to buy ecigs that have no nicotine/low nicotine. It's not good to smoke anything, but ecigs are significantly less harmful that cigarettes/hookah/other tobacco products. Ecigs started becoming so big of a thing because it covers 2 out of 3 addictions that smoking cigarettes causes. It lessens your physical addiction because you're still using it like a cigarette and blowing smoke, and the mental addiction as far as nicotine goes. You're able to start with higher amounts and slowly ween yourself down to lower doses.

They're still bad, just not the worst. http://www.tobacco.ucsf.edu/10-chem...nia-prop-65-list-carcinogens-and-reproductive

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat

It is possible to buy ecigs that have no nicotine/low nicotine. It's not good to smoke anything, but ecigs are significantly less harmful that cigarettes/hookah/other tobacco products. Ecigs started becoming so big of a thing because it covers 2 out of 3 addictions that smoking cigarettes causes. It lessens your physical addiction because you're still using it like a cigarette and blowing smoke, and the mental addiction as far as nicotine goes. You're able to start with higher amounts and slowly ween yourself down to lower doses.

Isn't it still causing addictions? Because the ecigs do not contain tobacco, they aren't subject to U.S. tobacco laws, this means that a person of any age can purchase them, especially through an online means. Because they are also considered 'cool' (which, might I add, cigarettes were considered a 'cool' thing to do before the health problems and truth about them broke out) younger kids want to smoke them just because they can. A large amount of students at my school have them, and they even put marijuana into them and smoke it during school in plain sight. All this encourages nicotine addictions in teens; and frankly I just see this going downhill towards another epidemic.
Many regulatory agencies and health experts aren't sure the e-cigarette is safe. While there are hundreds of companies in the United States alone that are making and selling e-cigarettes, manufacturers often don't make specific health or safety claims about their products. They do, however, tout the benefits of e-cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and some health experts are concerned that the side effects of inhaling pure nicotine have yet to be adequately studied, and are therefore unknown. The FDA is also concerned about quality control, asserting that some manufacturers may not adequately disclose all the chemical ingredients in their e-cigarettes, and that the amount of nicotine listed on a cartridge label may not match the actual amount in the cartridge.
Electronic cigarettes can contain the same amount of nicotine, or even more than a regular cigg. It's user controlled. Again, since there are no regulatory laws on these at the moment, large amounts of nicotine is available to minors. Yeah, there's the no nicotine cartridges, but how can you be sure EVERYONE will opt for that?

Electronic cigarette manufacturers are careful not to directly market their product to young people. However, nicotine cartridges for the e-cigarette come in a wide range of flavors likely to appeal to kids -- think chocolate, caramel, strawberry and even bubble gum. And because e-cigarettes are sold online, it's easier for kids to purchase them than it is for them to buy regular tobacco cigarettes. For example, U.S. law requires consumers to provide proof that they are at least 18 years of age to buy tobacco cigarettes, but this law does not apply to e-cig sellers. And young people may be attracted to e-cigarettes as a result of the attention celebrities are bringing to them: Johnny Depp uses one in the film "The Tourist" and "Grey's Anatomy" star Katherine Heigl shared one with David Letterman during a guest appearance on his show, even explaining to the audience how it works
Source: health.howstuffworks.com

S

Solar

Isn't it still causing addictions? Because the ecigs do not contain tobacco, they aren't subject to U.S. tobacco laws, this means that a person of any age can purchase them, especially through an online means. Because they are also considered 'cool' (which, might I add, cigarettes were considered a 'cool' thing to do before the health problems and truth about them broke out) younger kids want to smoke them just because they can. A large amount of students at my school have them, and they even put marijuana into them and smoke it during school in plain sight. All this encourages nicotine addictions in teens; and frankly I just see this going downhill towards another epidemic.
I believe you have to be 18 to purchase e cigarette products, but that might vary by state. It is impossible to be addicted to ecigarettes if you're smoking nicotine-free vapors. However, you are right about the looking cool thing. A younger medium is purchasing these products because they think it is fun. This product was an amazing invention for getting people off cigarettes, but it is definitely being used more and more for the wrong ways. I may be wrong about this.. but I don't think you can put marijuana in e-cigarettes. They may be using vaporizors (which look similar, but are designed for tobacco use).

people who complain about secondhand smoke are more obnoxious than those that smoke wherever they wish
Well it's okay to complain about something that kills thousands of innocent people each year. Wouldn't you get upset and complain if a very close relative who didn't smoke died from secondhand smoke?

Klamath

wants to go to france
Personally, I am against smoking cigarettes because they are just chock full of bad things I don't want to introduce into my body. No thanks, I'll pass.

People can choose to smoke if they want to. I don't have anything against smokers. I do have a little problem with second-hand smoke due to breathing problems, so it is kind of irritating when people smoke in prohibited areas. If they respect others and smoke with courtesy, I won't make a fuss.

I hate them. Honestly, the fact that people think it's "cool" is sad. Like YEP! ITS SO COOL TO DESTROY MY BODY!!

Like no. Its just not attractive to me. I just have high morals. And i guess its just i dont like seeing someone ruin their life like that.

kalyee

I hate them. Honestly, the fact that people think it's "cool" is sad. Like YEP! ITS SO COOL TO DESTROY MY BODY!!

Like no. Its just not attractive to me. I just have high morals. And i guess its just i dont like seeing someone ruin their life like that.

It has nothing to do with morals... You can't assume that someone has low/is without morals just because they smoke. There are foods that a lot of people eat in excess that can be just as bad for you - in different ways, but still - as smoking, but you don't see people questioning intelligence and morals due to that decision.

I don't smoke, I just feel like people really need to leave smokers alone about their decisions unless they are seeking help to quit. It shouldn't be any of your business unless it is affecting you physically in a negative way, which 9 times out of 10 it's not.