Cigarettes

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Coming from a household of two smoking parents that have smoked well before I was born, and who's Uncle's were smokers (1 is a reformed smoker), and grandfather who was a smoker I can definitely say I'm against it.

In June of last year me and my mother were involved in a minor accident but we suffered injuries to our spine and neck/head. As result, we both needed multiple MRI's, 1 being of our head. We were lucky to not have incurred any permanent damage to the brain, but what was picked up on my mothers MRI of her brain were the beginning stages of hardening arteries in her brain. This is a result of her smoking. She was told this and fully understands it. It scares her.

Yet, she is so dependent on them (however, my father is 5x more dependent than she) she still smokes before we go running, she smokes when she's upset/angry/stressed. Out of all drugs, I'd have to say nicotine/cigarettes are the most insidious of them all.

Now that's bad enough, and even though statistics have told us that children of smokers are more likely to become smokers themselves, all 6 of us (me and my 5 siblings) are smoke free and wouldn't touch a cigarette with a 10ft pole.

Even worse, I've become allergic to cigarette smoke and my lungs have been experiencing difficulty functioning for some time. I find it hard to breathe sometimes, especially around my parents. They know this, but they are hardly sensitive to it at all. They were also informed that while smoking is bad both ways, 2nd hand smoke is the worst end of the spectrum because those around you don't have the luxury of a filter.

I can definitely say I'm strongly against smoking. I understand stress is a killer, I'm only 20 yrs old and I've incurred more stress than some adults I've met and I've learned healthier ways of handling stress than smoking.

The problem with smokers quitting though, is they have to want to do it for themselves. You can't make any major life changes if you're doing it for someone else or something else. It has to be for you, and you have to realize the impact it has on your life and how it is hurting you before you can truly kick the habit. We've tried to help my parents in many ways, when my father had to have major spinal surgery, me and my grandmother cleaned the entire house top to bottom (including all linens) and removed all forms of smoking reminders from the house (ashtrays, etc). All that did was force my mother to lock herself in the bathroom to smoke a cigarette by the window with air freshener like a teenager. :facepalm: We also bought them the electronic cigarette and my mother didn't smoke it properly so she ended up getting sick and rather than changing how she smoked it, she just swore off it entirely and blamed it on the device rather than her lack of thinking.

It doesn't matter what you try to do to help someone who's a smoker, they have to want it bad enough to be willing to do it. I'm against smoking, it's honestly caused nothing but problems in my family for a long, long time :shrug:. There just isn't anything positive about it.

Fiyero

A little background on myself: I have a mother who smokes about a pack every two days. She has ever since I was born. My dad smokes cigars occasionally. Since I became of age, I've become a social smoker of cigars. I smoke every once in a blue moon when I'm with my brothers.

That being said, I have seen first hand the effects of smoking cigarettes. I have also seen the first hand effects of smoking cigars. As others have said, it's up to the person on whether they want to smoke or not. Everything will kill you eventually. Most other things that people partake in (alcohol, sports, driving cars) have the ability to kill you as well, and it's still done. I don't think you can demean someone for smoking, but not the other dangerous/harmful things they do

Personally, I will never smoke cigarettes.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
A little background on myself: I have a mother who smokes about a pack every two days. She has ever since I was born. My dad smokes cigars occasionally. Since I became of age, I've become a social smoker of cigars. I smoke every once in a blue moon when I'm with my brothers.

That being said, I have seen first hand the effects of smoking cigarettes. I have also seen the first hand effects of smoking cigars. As others have said, it's up to the person on whether they want to smoke or not. Everything will kill you eventually. Most other things that people partake in (alcohol, sports, driving cars) have the ability to kill you as well, and it's still done. I don't think you can demean someone for smoking, but not the other dangerous/harmful things they do

Personally, I will never smoke cigarettes.
Yeah I'm not sure about Cigars, I have no experience with those. But I know it doesn't matter what kind of cigarette you smoke (my parents used to smoke Seneca and they were ordered from an Indian Reservation) but now they buy cheap pipe tobacco and make their own cigarettes to save on cost, and they've convinced themselves it's better because it's not the same as the processed cigarettes they sell prepackaged in stores. :sulk:

It doesn't really matter what kind or brand you smoke, some have fiberglass in them, some have remnants of rat poison and urine. They're just all around bad for you. And I'd imagine Cigars are bad as well, they probably won't have a major impact on you if you're a social smoker, but for people who are chain smokers or frequent smokers it can do nothing but harm.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
That being said, I have seen first hand the effects of smoking cigarettes. I have also seen the first hand effects of smoking cigars. As others have said, it's up to the person on whether they want to smoke or not. Everything will kill you eventually. Most other things that people partake in (alcohol, sports, driving cars) have the ability to kill you as well, and it's still done. I don't think you can demean someone for smoking, but not the other dangerous/harmful things they do.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Although I do agree that it's up to that individual and that we shouldn't ban/judge them for smoking, I disagree with the logic that "everything will kill you eventually so it's ok." Just because something else can kill you doesn't cancel out the fact that smoking has been medically proven to be something that can cause serious medical conditions in addition to death. If we're aware that something that isn't necessary to a person's life has harmful effects, shouldn't we be taking steps to prevent people from dying unnecessarily? With the logic that it's ok because "everything will kill you," we might as well be accepting of EVERYTHING because regardless of its effects, there's always something else that could kill you too.

Fiyero

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Although I do agree that it's up to that individual and that we shouldn't ban/judge them for smoking, I disagree with the logic that "everything will kill you eventually so it's ok." Just because something else can kill you doesn't cancel out the fact that smoking has been medically proven to be something that can cause serious medical conditions in addition to death. If we're aware that something that isn't necessary to a person's life has harmful effects, shouldn't we be taking steps to prevent people from dying unnecessarily? With the logic that it's ok because "everything will kill you," we might as well be accepting of EVERYTHING because regardless of its effects, there's always something else that could kill you too.
So why aren't we taking steps towards alcohol? Or why aren't we taking steps towards tanning? Or cars for that matter?

None of those are 'necessary' for everyday life. Yet all of them cause serious health problems and/or death.

----------

Yeah I'm not sure about Cigars, I have no experience with those. But I know it doesn't matter what kind of cigarette you smoke (my parents used to smoke Seneca and they were ordered from an Indian Reservation) but now they buy cheap pipe tobacco and make their own cigarettes to save on cost, and they've convinced themselves it's better because it's not the same as the processed cigarettes they sell prepackaged in stores. :sulk:

It doesn't really matter what kind or brand you smoke, some have fiberglass in them, some have remnants of rat poison and urine. They're just all around bad for you. And I'd imagine Cigars are bad as well, they probably won't have a major impact on you if you're a social smoker, but for people who are chain smokers or frequent smokers it can do nothing but harm.
Yeah the chemicals in cigarettes are ridiculous.

Cigars are generally without other additives, or chemicals. It's just a tightly rolled bundle of tobacco. Sure, it's not the best for the lungs, as we aren't meant to directly inhale anything but what's in the air. However, they are typically seen as being better for you than cigarettes.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
So why aren't we taking steps towards alcohol? Or why aren't we taking steps towards tanning? Or cars for that matter?

None of those are 'necessary' for everyday life. Yet all of them cause serious health problems and/or death.
We're not talking about alcohol, or driving, or tanning, though. We're talking about smoking.

Fiyero

We're not talking about alcohol, or driving, or tanning, though. We're talking about smoking.
Now it seems that you are just trying to write off my very valid, perhaps a little red herring, point. The problem with a lot of people, and the media today, is that they are so quick to demean smoking and anyone who does it, while we have people doing other harmful/dangerous things. You said that

we might as well be accepting of EVERYTHING because regardless of its effects, there's always something else that could kill you too.
To me, it seems that we are already doing that. What is it that makes smoking so different from others.

Last edited:
I hate them. Honestly, the fact that people think it's "cool" is sad. Like YEP! ITS SO COOL TO DESTROY MY BODY!!

Like no. Its just not attractive to me. I just have high morals. And i guess its just i dont like seeing someone ruin their life like that.

It has nothing to do with morals... You can't assume that someone has low/is without morals just because they smoke. There are foods that a lot of people eat in excess that can be just as bad for you - in different ways, but still - as smoking, but you don't see people questioning intelligence and morals due to that decision.

I don't smoke, I just feel like people really need to leave smokers alone about their decisions unless they are seeking help to quit. It shouldn't be any of your business unless it is affecting you physically in a negative way, which 9 times out of 10 it's not.
i was in fact just sayin my opinion which is what the person who started the thread wanted...our opinions.... so i shared mine....

kalyee

I hate them. Honestly, the fact that people think it's "cool" is sad. Like YEP! ITS SO COOL TO DESTROY MY BODY!!

Like no. Its just not attractive to me. I just have high morals. And i guess its just i dont like seeing someone ruin their life like that.

It has nothing to do with morals... You can't assume that someone has low/is without morals just because they smoke. There are foods that a lot of people eat in excess that can be just as bad for you - in different ways, but still - as smoking, but you don't see people questioning intelligence and morals due to that decision.

I don't smoke, I just feel like people really need to leave smokers alone about their decisions unless they are seeking help to quit. It shouldn't be any of your business unless it is affecting you physically in a negative way, which 9 times out of 10 it's not.

i was in fact just sayin my opinion which is what the person who started the thread wanted...our opinions.... so i shared mine....

And I stated mine, so you don't have to come back with a passive answer.

However, telling someone they have no/low morals due to a personal preference that is against no laws is more of a personal attack than an opinion, really...

people who complain about secondhand smoke are more obnoxious than those that smoke wherever they wish

What

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
was i unclear?

people who complain about secondhand smoke are more obnoxious than those that smoke wherever they wish
Well it's okay to complain about something that kills thousands of innocent people each year. Wouldn't you get upset and complain if a very close relative who didn't smoke died from secondhand smoke?
i'm sure that people have died from secondhand smoke. i'm sure that just walking past someone smoking will immediately give you cancer. /sarcasm

What

was i unclear?

Well it's okay to complain about something that kills thousands of innocent people each year. Wouldn't you get upset and complain if a very close relative who didn't smoke died from secondhand smoke?
i'm sure that people have died from secondhand smoke. i'm sure that just walking past someone smoking will immediately give you cancer. /sarcasm
Some people are allergic to the smoke so if they walked by someone smoking they wouldn't get lung cancer but probably lot's of other problems. I know it was sarcasm but still.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!

What

was i unclear?

Some people are allergic to the smoke so if they walked by someone smoking they wouldn't get lung cancer but probably lot's of other problems. I know it was sarcasm but still.
I've become allergic to cigarette smoke from being exposed to it since I was little (like baby years). If I walk past someone smoking I won't keel over and die, but it's rude when someone smokes next to you or around you, and you've told them you're allergic but they tell you to basically pi ss off. That's more obnoxious and inconsiderate than anything. I don't see how asking a smoker to go somewhere else when smoke bothers you or you're allergic is obnoxious. :shrug: You're responsible for your own well-being and health, there's nothing wrong with trying to preserve that.

----------

What

was i unclear?
Well from my perspective at least, you kind of were :shrug:. Would you mind elaborating on how people who dislike or complain about secondhand smoke are more so obnoxious or annoying than those that smoke whenever and wherever?

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
Because the people who complain about breathing in cigarette smoke don't want to get asthma or lung cancer? Secondhand smoking is actually worse. People have every right to complain about it. I would never ever smoke, because I'm not stupid and don't want to shorten my life, but if you do, its your choice and I'm not going to stop you from shortening your life. But this is an object that kills millions of Americans each year, and is still not outlawed because of the millions of dollars the tobacco companies are making. It's really sad tbh.

Last edited:

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
You realize this is a debate thread right? In the Debates Section. If you aren't seriously trying to participate in the debate, why did you post at all? :question:

Last edited by a moderator:

allison

You realize this is a debate thread right? In the Debates Section. If you aren't seriously trying to participate in the debate, why did you post at all? :question:

Exactly

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Exactly

I don't mean to be rude and I'm definitely not trying to incite an argument, I just found that disrespectful to everyone here that's trying to have a serious discussion about the topic at hand. :shrug:

It'd be different if the "serious discussion" wasn't full of ignorance, bias, and untrue "facts"

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
It'd be different if the "serious discussion" wasn't full of ignorance, bias, and untrue "facts"
So obviously someone who is offended by smoke or is allergic to it is bias to the against smoking side. But that's normal... that doesn't make the discussion any less serious. The reason you'd be against smoking is because of those factors (among other reasons). That's part of being on a certain side of a debate.

What untrue facts were stated? And what ignorance was expressed? If you're going to throw accusations around, please cite the source of that accusation. I ask this honestly, and not to be rude or disrespectful.