Clarifications on Recent Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For starters, I don't believe it's fair to say it's just the staff's fault. It takes two to tango after all, but with that in mind Absolem has a point in saying we don't know the ENTIRE story it would be very unjust to base our full opinions on only half of what we know. I also believe that yes the players should have a say in certain situations but that does not mean we need to know every single itty bitty detail that happens, especially when the whole story has not been revealed.

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
After reading through this thread completely (By the time i heard about it the forums were already down), here is my thoughts on the matter. This may or may not be a long post, but a lot of it is in line with what appears to be the vastly majority opinion in this thread:

Everyone wants to hear two sides of the story, right?
The original post in this thread answered NOTHING. Except for letting us know that nothing we say will change anything. How many staff have left? I think the real question is how many are still remaining. I think it's easier to answer then listing all of the ones who had enough sense to get out, or who were backstabbed and pushed out.

You said you wanted to let everyone know both sides of the story. You failed. Unless you have the link to the tumblr posts (which i have heard have been getting deleted on the forums), you do not know the other sides story, and guess what? You banned them all. How convenient.

They abused their position, plain and simple.

You're joking, right? People on both sides have abused their position. I don't know if you're throwing darts or picking names out of a hat (Just kidding, obviously it's a huge power trip for you guys to kick out anyone who does not agree with you), but this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Investigate. And upon investigating, we uncovered way more than we bargained for.
This is like an older child "investigating" who broke the living room lamp, when they both did it. The verdict? The younger child! But why do you ask this mom and dad? Do i have my side of the story to share with you and make logical sense? No. But i'm the older child and you should just trust what i say is right and move on.

we are the ones who will pay the price.
No you won't. What price will you pay? You already told us nothing we say will get your staff position changed. The price that is being paid is this amazing community that a lot of is cared for is being torn apart because some staff members use this game as their personal power trip.

I had nothing but respect for said person.
That's why like half the staff got perma-banned for no reason, right? Including staff who have not been active in months. Take Snow. Was arguably the most unbiased and helpful admin i have seen. But you don't want old staff members who left on good terms coming back and sharing some truths, do you?

We could go into a long rant here about others, and what they did as well. But we refuse to. What good would come of it?
It would show 2 sides of the story. Because right now, your side is not looking too great.

and you're entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean you have a say in the matter
Please remove the "My" from MyVMK. It is clearly not a community. It is a medium in which a few individuals let the power go to their heads. We don't have a say in the matter? Thanks for letting us know that our opinions, that we are "entitled" to, are completely worthless and will be completely ignored and disregarded.

How do we salvage this community? I see a couple possibilities, none of which will ever happen:

• MyVMK source code is released to let others create their own servers and allow us to start anew without the toxicity that this game as become.

• The files from the original VMK (The ones OpenVMK had and shared with Amy when they brought her on, which she used for her own MyVMK) are released to the public. This would be not nearly as ideal as the first option, but it would be something.

• Huge staff overhauls. Some of us care about the future of this community and game.

Again, none of these things will happen. But those three options are, in my opinion, the best chance this game has at survival.

Almost every single one of us (Ironically, except perhaps Amy) has experienced losing this game when the original shut down. A game we invested a lot of our childhoods into. Are we overreacting? If it appears we are, it shows how much this community CARES about this game and does not want to lose it again. We see what kind of path this is going down and us being vocal about our opinions is our way to try to stop it.

Since my opinion is apparently irrelevant and will not change anything, here is my honest opinion:

The remaining staff are the ones who have caused the drama. Blaming Cricket for leaking information is like the US Government blaming Snowden. Cricket did not cause this, merely shed light on it and let us know about how ugly this game is behind the curtains. I think the majority of the remaining in-game staff (I say majority because honestly i have lost track of who is left, and do not want to group someone who is not involved with this) are immature and incompetent at being staff. They let their bias's and need for power interfere with their positions as staff.

Those who have known me for a while or have seen my posts on the forums know that i have never been shy to share my opinions, whether they be popular or unpopular. And honestly before this thread the reason i did not make a topic on the leaked information was because i genuinely did not want to get banned from the game, and i knew the topic would be deleted in minutes anyway. You have allowed free and open discussion in this thread, which i think is one great decision that has been made over the past couple of days. You guys may or may not be regretting it at this point, but the forums have always been a place where posts with any critical or even slightly negative connotations would get closed/deleted, and that is a big reason why this has remained hidden for so long. I mean this site looks like it was taken off a page out of 1984.

This last bit is directed mainly towards @Amy:

I don't want these opinions and posts everyone is sharing to be ignored, but i don't want them to let it affect your personal life either. I know that the backlash from the POTC situation caused the development to become even slower because the thought of it made you remember how upset people were. Everybody voicing their opinion here is because they don't want to see this game and this community fail. I think this thread is a great first start. It lets people both voice their opinions and lets people get some steam out. But to have the staff member who made the post say our opinions don't matter and won't change anything? If this is truly a community then maybe we should start looking at what the community thinks.

Last edited:
After reading through this thread completely (By the time i heard about it the forums were already down), here is my thoughts on the matter. This may or may not be a long post, but a lot of it is in line with what appears to be the vastly majority opinion in this thread:

The original post in this thread answered NOTHING. Except for letting us know that nothing we say will change anything. How many staff have left? I think the real question is how many are still remaining. I think it's easier to answer then listing all of the ones who had enough sense to get out, or who were backstabbed and pushed out.

You said you wanted to let everyone know both sides of the story. You failed. Unless you have the link to the tumblr posts (which i have heard have been getting deleted on the forums), you do not know the other sides story, and guess what? You banned them all. How convenient.

You're joking, right? People on both sides have abused their position. I don't know if you're throwing darts or picking names out of a hat (Just kidding, obviously it's a huge power trip for you guys to kick out anyone who does not agree with you), but this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

This is like an older child "investigating" who broke the living room lamp, when they both did it. The verdict? The younger child! But why do you ask this mom and dad? Do i have my side of the story to share with you and make logical sense? No. But i'm the older child and you should just trust what i say is right and move on.

No you won't. What price will you pay? You already told us nothing you say will get your staff position changed. The price that is being paid is this amazing community that a lot of is cared for is being torn apart because some staff members use this game as their personal power trip.

That's why like half the staff got perma-banned for no reason, right? Including staff who have not been active in months. Take Snow. Was arguably the most unbiased and helpful admin i have seen. But you don't want old staff members who left on good terms coming back and sharing some truths, do you?

It would show 2 sides of the story. Because right now, your side is not looking too great.

Please remove the "My" from MyVMK. It is clearly not a community. It is a medium in which a few individuals let the power go to their heads. We don't have a say in the matter? Thanks for letting us know that our opinions, that we are "entitled" to, are completely worthless and will be completely ignored and disregarded.

How do we salvage this community? I see a couple possibilities, none of which will ever happen:

• MyVMK source code is released to let others create their own servers and allow us to start anew without the toxicity that this game as become.

• The files from the original VMK (The ones OpenVMK had and shared with Amy when they brought her on, which she used for her own MyVMK) are released to the public. This would be not nearly as ideal as the first option, but it would be something.

• Huge staff overhauls. Some of us care about the future of this community and game.

Again, none of these things will happen. But those three options are, in my opinion, the best chance this game has at survival.

Almost every single one of us (Ironically, except perhaps Amy) has experienced losing this game when the original shut down. A game we invested a lot of our childhoods into. Are we overreacting? If it appears we are, it shows how much this community CARES about this game and does not want to lose it again. We see what kind of path this is going down and us being vocal about our opinions is our way to try to stop it.

Since my opinion is apparently irrelevant and will not change anything, here is my honest opinion:

The remaining staff are the ones who have caused the drama. Blaming Cricket for leaking information is like the US Government blaming Snowden. Cricket did not cause this, merely shed light on it and let us know about how ugly this game is behind the curtains. I think the majority of the remaining in-game staff (I say majority because honestly i have lost track of who is left, and do not want to group someone who is not involved with this) are immature and incompetent at being staff. They let their bias's and need for power interfere with their positions as staff.

Those who have known me for a while or have seen my posts on the forums know that i have never been shy to share my opinions, whether they be popular or unpopular. And honestly before this thread the reason i did not make a topic on the leaked information was because i genuinely did not want to get banned from the game, and i knew the topic would be deleted in minutes anyway. You have allowed free and open discussion in this thread, which i think is one great decision that has been made over the past couple of days. You guys may or may not be regretting it at this point, but the forums have always been a place where posts with any critical or even slightly negative connotations would get closed/deleted, and that is a big reason why this has remained hidden for so long. I mean this site looks like it was taken off a page out of 1984.

I don't want these opinions and posts everyone is sharing to be ignored, but i don't want them to let it affect your personal life either. I know that the backlash from the POTC situation caused the development to become even slower because the thought of it made you remember how upset people were. Everybody voicing their opinion here is because they don't want to see this game and this community fail. I think this thread is a great first start. It lets people both voice their opinions and lets people get some steam out. But to have the staff member who made the post say our opinions don't matter and won't change anything? If this is truly a community then maybe we should start looking at what the community thinks.

HaleighRose

Shut up, and dance with me!

No you won't. What price will you pay? You already told us nothing you say will get your staff position changed. The price that is being paid is this amazing community that a lot of is cared for is being torn apart because some staff members use this game as their personal power trip.

I couldn't have said it better.
THANK YOU

HauntedMansionResidant

The Bellhop off the I-5
Everyone wants to hear two sides of the story, right?

First off, the last thing we want to do is stoop to the level that all those hate blogs do. We are here to run a game, and make it enjoyable for everyone. Bottom line. Do not assume what you read is always the entire story, or that it is true. So, you say, “Then tell us your side of the story.” I'll get there.

You can disagree with Amy's decision to allow Kali and myself to take these positions, and you're entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean you have a say in the matter. We are human. We all say things we may regret later on. We all do it in the heat of the moment. It's easy to sit, read, and form opinions on things you don't know the entire backstory of. What has failed to be considered is our love of this game and this community. Our only goal here is to provide you with the entertainment in which you come here for. Not gossip. Not bantering, of any player. You're entitled to be upset over certain people leaving, but in most cases it was their own choice to walk away. Not ours. And from that, we move on. And we fix what wasn't working before (and there was a lot, whether you care to admit it or not) and try to make things better for everyone. You're also entitled to think we handle things poorly. But the truth is, you have no idea how things work behind the scenes. You have no idea of the situations, and the control certain people had, before all of this.

Let me clarify, players do not need to know what we discuss. Said person thinks it's a game now, and wants to bring everyone down with them, because they messed up. Big time. And they were caught.

Why was said person not allowed to return? Sticking to the facts (and no, I will not take screenshots and post them). They abused their position, plain and simple. They showed favoritism to themselves and friends by pulling players into events, numerous times, over and over, to gain the advantage of winning multiple times in one night when everyone else had to wait in line. Said person would allow friends to test their games, allowing them to collect unearned prizes afterwards. Said person traded unauthorized items to players. Said person abused chat logs, searching people to gather information on them, to use for their own entertainment. Said person shared information about call for helps, warning people when and who had been reported. Said person shared private information between the staff members. Said person has threatened players outside of the game.

This was in no way a 'witch hunt'. When word gets out of something no one should know about, something that could be detrimental to the entire community, wouldn't you investigate? That was all we did. Investigate. And upon investigating, we uncovered way more than we bargained for. And now, for no other reason than bitterness, we are the ones who will pay the price. But, we will not let it affect us. What's done is done, what's said is said, what’s going to happen will happen. When you have something toxic in the midst, it's best to get rid of it and flush the system. And we were able to do that on many levels. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it did not happen.

I had nothing but respect for said person. I thought they were amazing, I loved them and had wonderful times with them. And they know that. More than anything it saddens me that the outcome had to be this ridiculous, immature gesture. We would have gladly given them a second chance, but their reaction was hostile. Demands and threats were made. When you are innocent, you don't attack the people who are on your side. You listen to what they have to say first, and explain. That didn't happen. Tell me, would you want someone like that back on your team? Could you trust them again after something like this?

We could go into a long rant here about others, and what they did as well. But we refuse to. What good would come of it? To add to the gossip some more? It's in the past.

I speak on behalf of myself and the other admins. We are here for YOU. For this game. We will not let anything get in the way of this, or bring our spirits down. We will do what we have to, to make it work. If you don't give us the chance, you'll never know.

And please. If you are going to comment on this, be respectful. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no reason to cross any lines here.
So......is our community in any danger? I just got VMK back, and made new friends!

Nnilak

No you won't. What price will you pay? You already told us nothing we say will get your staff position changed. The price that is being paid is this amazing community that a lot of is cared for is being torn apart because some staff members use this game as their personal power trip.

Finally read through all of this, what I take away from it is that the vast majority of players feel they are owed an actual explanation from staff, ideally from Amy, and rightfully so.
There is absolutely no reason for the banning of Snow and Tink......I understand taking away their staff powers but banning??
The whole Kali situation is ridiculous. I was online during her secret events that were filled with her friends, the same ones who always win the competitions, some of which who have staff accounts. The fact that she is still a staff member blows my mind. Also I will mention that Amy was there for these events and giving away items aka condoning these giveaways unfair to the rest of vmk players who were given no notice
I've always been annoyed by favoritism in this game, but now it's gone too far.
Staff, explain yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.